Doubletree Guest Suites Tampa Bay

Costs 37% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Doubletree Guest Suites Tampa Bay

Nice DoubleTree

by TripAdvisor Member Travelogue74

The DoubleTree Guest Suites Tampa Bay is an all-suites hotel that despite having some age on it has undergone a nice renovation. It is located on West Highway 60 near the airport. Unfortunately, not much else is located near the property.

Each suite is spacious, very clean and having undergone a recent, very nice renovation. The only complaint I had was the smallish bathrooms that despite the renovation were not that great. Overall, a nice hotel for a decent price. The location, while being away from the hustle and bustle of Tampa traffic, is good if you want to get away and rest. That being said, there is not much around this area so expect to travel 10-15 minutes say if you need to go to a Walgreen's, etc.

As previous reviewers have mentioned, The Castaway restaurant located across W. 60 from the DoubleTree is a nice place to eat. The views are spectacular, the food is pricey but ok.

One evening I ordered room service from the downstairs restaurant The Galerie and it was surprisingly good. It arrived fast, the server was efficient and it was much better than some.

I cannot comment on the breakfast as I never partook. I didn't have many dealings with the staff but they seemed efficient and friendly. Overall this DoubleTree is in a great location, with a recent renovation, clean with nice views. For the price not a bad value. I would stay there again

Barely okay

by TripAdvisor Member Redbud

Recently returned from a 3 night business trip at this hotel. Staff were pleasant enough at check in. The hotel is directly Tampa Bay and has a great view. Upon check-in I gave my Hilton Rewards card but wasn't upgraded to the top floor because I was told "the airconditioners are too loud there". I stayed on the 6th floor instead and the airconditioner there was so loud that everytime the airconditioning fan came on, I had to turn up the sound on the tv!! And the airconditioner vent is right near the bed. If you have to have quiet sleeping you'd never make it. In the morning I asked to change rooms and was told they were all like that. At least the bed was comfortable. The rooms are big enough, but in dire need of refurbishing if they want to be competitive with other hotels. The "kitchen" table was some outdoor yard sale discard that was scratched, patched and discolored. The first night a colleague and I were the only two people in the dining room for dinner and STILL we had to wait for service and our meal, which was overcooked and bland. Several times during my stay I called the from desk for a message or to set a wake up call, and exactly 50% of the time no one answered - good thing I wasn't having an emergency. The first day I called the front desk at dinner time for someone to service my room. They sent a lady up to clean my room and all she did was make the bed and throw out the garbage in the pails! I had room service that evening and put my dishes outside my door when I was done. A full 24 hours later those dishes were still sitting outside the door and housekeeping had even been there to clean my room!! The entire time I was there a large commercial vaccuum stood out in the hallway. The last night of my stay I found FOUR bugs on my bed - looked like termites. The bathtub had a patched area on it and there is this OLD black and white tv on the counter. To turn the channel you have to rotate a knob like you were adjusting the volume. My last day there I got up and turned on the tv to listen to the news as I got dressed. 10 mins later the satelitte went out and never came back on. Being on Tampa Bay gives them the only good thing they have to offer Thankfully my client asked for feedback on this hotel and I asked not to go there anymore.

Great New Year Experience

by TripAdvisor Member RedDragon17

We were very pleased with the Double Tree Hotel. We stayed for the New Year and also to Watch the Seattle Seahawks play against the Tampa Bay Bucs (which they won-Go Hawks!). The rooms were roomy, clean and cozy. The bed was very comfortable and the sheets were clean. The pillows were a little too soft. The A/C seemed to have a mind of its own. They gym needs a serious upgrade (no free weights and the machines are from the 1920's). The pool was quiet and serene, the breakfast was delicious and the staff was pleasant. Would definately stay again. Highly Recommend this hotel.

Expected Better

by TripAdvisor Member arant

This hotel leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to a Can Do attitude. Front desk staff was always blah when you spoke with them. They acted like you were always bothering them when you needed something. Room was OK. Furnishings were out of date. The only good thing going for them is location and free shuttle. But let me say this the free shuttle drivers the one that worked during the day was outright rude.

Okay, but not a good value.

by TripAdvisor Member HappyScapula

Nice sized suite. Clean. Good sheets. Good mattress, albeit a little too soft for us. Three TVs, including a little black and white one in the bathroom. Tiny bathtub. Heated outdoor pool (a rarity in Florida). 80s era decor. Not too noisy overall, but the whine from the nearby elevator kept my spouse up at night until she put her earplugs in, and kept me from getting back to sleep after using the bathroom in the morning.

Two pizza flyers passed under our door in about a 15 minute period - I'm not used to hotels that allow soliciting.

After we paid $240 for a room, they charged us $10 for Internet access, and would have charged us $5/bottle for water if we had drunk any. Internet worked fine at night, didn't work when I tried to reconnect in the morning. I told the front desk and they gave me a technical support number. After 10 minutes on hold and about 15 minutes of troubleshooting, we determined that the automated service giving my computer its connection information was giving it the wrong
information (technical: the DHCP server kept giving my box an IP that was not on the correct subnet). I finally hung up - my time was worth more than the benefit of Internet access. To their credit, the hotel refunded the $10 with no questions asked.

On the whole, we would have loved this hotel at $100/night. We disliked it at $240.

We Saw Dolphins

by TripAdvisor Member thePiercefamily

Plenty of parking. Our room wasn't ready upon our check-in and were asked to come back.The desk clerk upon our return couldn't find our reservation,and came off as being rude.But upon getting our warm cookies(yum) we made our way up to our room and were very pleased. The room was very clean and spacious. Kitchen area with a sink, fridge and microwave. Living room area with pull out sofa and chair,large t.v. and desk. The beds were in an area separate from the living/kitchen area giving it a bedroom feel. Large mirrored vanity area and a large clean bathroom with a small b&w t.v.. Could have used a few more towels. Room was decorated very tastefully. We had a beautiful view of the pool area and bay,and within minutes of being in our room saw dolphins.A mama and baby dolphin swam up and down the canal very close to the hotel allowing for some great photos. The pool area was was beautifully landscaped(very tropical) and had ample supply of clean towels. The gym/spa area had a t.v. and view outside but some of the equipment wasn't working correctly and is in need of service. The laundry facilities were on the 7th floor which is being remodeled and is vacant( a little scary if going up by yourself at night).There is only 1 washer and 1 dryer,so expect to wait. We never recieved a wake-up call as requested(late for meeting).Were given printed out directions to to mall/restraunts.I will stay again and highly recommend.

Beautiful Location

by TripAdvisor Member happycouple02

Tampa Bay Doubletree Suites Rocky Point Dr, Tampa
July 16,2007

My husband and I wanted to get away for a few days. The Doubletree Suites on Rocky Pt. Dr. was great!. The hotel is just completing renovations. We stayed in room 731 (highest floor) and had a brand new 2 room suite (all rooms are suites) with incredible views. We looked out over the water and the pool area below. We watched dolphins and tropical birds from our livingroom and bedroom areas.
Entire suite had new berber style carpets, fresh paint, new curtains, livingroom furniture and dream beds and linens (you will wish you could take the bed home!) There was a small refrigerator, sink and micorwave set on a marble top cabinet in the livingroom area. There was a large work station with special comfort work chair and two tvs. The room was done in browns and creams with touches of red.

Bathroom was very clean .Tub area had new tiles but tub looked a little worn. Great Neutrogena products including face cleaner and sun screen. Big fluffy towels.

Pool feels very secluded and is surrounded by bay views. You can lay in hammocks and watch dolphins jump. Pool water was perfect temp and pool seemed very clean and well maintained.

You are very close to Tampa Airport but you never hear planes from hotel.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Tampa Bay!

Views of Tampa Bay

by TripAdvisor Member wtrskier

Nice hotel with spacious rooms right on Tampa Bay. About a 25 minute drive to Clearwater Beach.

Breakfast buffet is ok, but nothing great. Try to get it with your room rate, individual prices for the buffet are too high for the quality of food.

Pool is nice, and right on the bay. Jet ski rental right outside by the parking lot. The Castaway restaurant is across the street, pricey but awesome tables with views of the bay at sunset.

Great room

by TripAdvisor Member ramped

The rooms in this motel are outstanding, very large and well appointed. Our room on the seventh floor had a refrigerator, sink and microwave. Very large living area separated from the bedroom by a folding door.

The bedroom was also very large, with a king bed and very comfortable matress and pillows. Also, many rooms have a nice view of the bay. The pool area is small but well kept. We did not use the restaurant. We treated ourselves to Bern's Steakhouse (wonderful) about seven miles away near downtown.

We saved the cookies and made some excellent in-room coffee and tea for a quick breakfast. (We were still stuffed from Bern's).

There is a lot of construction on SR 60 near the airport, so pay attention if you are entering from I-4. Keep left through the construction.

Comments