Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown / Convention Center

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown / Convention Center

Pretty Good

by TripAdvisor Member KatBr

I'm writing this during my second night...it's a good hotel w/v. slow elevators so don't be in a hurry if you're staying here! Average for an Embassy Suites - some I've stayed (such as Denver) in have offered better quality of wine and hor d'oeuvres for the manager's reception.

I last stayed at this E. Suites in December, when it cost $100 less per night! That's a pretty steep price jump, though probably comparable w/other hotels in the area during summer vacation time.

Outstanding Property

We were a little skeptical prior to booking our reservation in consideration of some of the earlier reviews. However, after our three-night stay we have nothing but nice things to say about the property. We had just arrived from the Embassy Suites USF after a four-night stay visiting Busch Gardens and found the difference to be night and day. This hotel is much newer, nicer and in a better location adjacent to the Tampa Trolley Car substation and the St. Pete Times Forum. It's pretty cool to say the least. For about two dollars each way you can shuttle to Channelside where they have an abundance of eateries and the Florida Aquarium. Further down the line you have Ybor City, a local haunt famous for cigar making and some night life. It's somewhat dumpy but worth a look.

The rooms were clean and newly decorated. We stayed for approximately $159 a night which was a great deal considering you get the complimentary breakfast and the two hour "happy hour" from 5:30-7:30. The food at Trolley's was good despite the small confines of the restaurant. The hotel opens up the entire downstairs lobby for its breakfast so it doesn't prove to be a problem. However, the line for omelets is really long so you need to arrive early. The Starbucks in the hotel lobby is a nice added feature and hits the spot.

We had the benefit of staying during the AVP Professional Volleyball Tour that set up shop in the parking lot next to the hotel. It was a nice added feature to walk next door to take in a few of the games. All of the players stayed at the hotel and were no problem whatsoever. Across the street is the Tampa Marriott Waterside which has a beautiful walkway around the marina and provides you with a great view of Harbour Island. While there isn't a lot to do in the immediate vicinity the area is safe and attractive. The Embassy Suites is connected via skywalk to the Convention Center on the third floor. That area also has some nice walking areas along the water.

We had a great time and would definitely recommend the hotel to other travelers staying for business or pleasure as it appears to cater to both.

Surprisingly comfortable and convenient

When I travel to Tampa (approx. 8 times during the past year), the local office usually books me in this or that hotel near downtown. Despite my preference for Marriott properties, I take what is paid for by others.
While I have enjoyed Hilton's & Hampton Inn's in the past, I wasn't aware that Embassy Suites was one of their brands (I am a "tin" HHonors Member, so what do I know?).
This is a new (completed in late 2006) property with a great staff and amenities that were surprisingly up-to-date and luxurious. I would not hesitate to stay here again. The location is upscale urban, close to the cruise terminal, aquarium, sports center and convention center, several good restaurants, etc. Parking is a bit tricky and a bit expensive for Florida ($16/day for Valet), but that's the only drawback.
Breakfast was good. Ice, tv's, beds. 4 fast elevators. And again, a very good staff that seemed to care.

Good stay in a new hotel, excellent location, great breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member frombaritomiami

I stayed one night at the Embassy Suites in downtown Tampa near the Convention Center for a wedding celebration at the same hotel. The rooms are all very spacious and the suite area with two televisions and a sofa really helped since we have a two-month old boy who needed space for supplies and a fridge for the milk. The bathrooms were immaculate and the toiletries up to standard. The bed was comfortable, the view so and so, it showed a parking lot. There is a pool, a narrow one though, but we did not use it. The wedding reception at the hotel was also very good, above the average for this type of hotel, with good food and service. The next day we went for breakfast and all was very good, although being Sunday morning there was a lot of people in line, but the food was excellent, especially the omelette station.
It is true, only 4 elevators for a big hotel is a little painful, since wait times are long, but the view from the elevators was very nice, you overlook the downtown area and the shoreline.
Overall a very good experience in a brand new hotel.

Perfection!

by TripAdvisor Member waxpoetic831

From the moment we arrived everything was just flawless! Valet was great, check in was fast and friendly...The room was immaculate and gorgeous as well with a fabulous view of downtown Tampa...I booked the room because I was going to see The Police in concert and what a great deal this turned out to be...I literally walked out of the hotel and crossed the street and I was at the door of the St Pete Times Forum...Getting back to the hotel was equally easy even in the crowds of people...It was fantastic having a birdseye view from the 13th floor looking out the window high above and watching the people walking back to their cars and traffic as far as the eye could see! And their I was comfy in my suite...The Manager's reception was fantastic...FREE DRINKS!!! I was drinking margarita's and tequila sunrise's for nothing more than a tip to the bartender...I must give Alexandria (front desk) a very special mention, she made our stay so very wonderful...Her customer service skills are superior and was greatly appreciated...It was my birthday and she brought me lots of candy, soda and even a birthday card to my room as a suprise! Such a nice touch! Words cannot express the amazing time I had at this particular Embassy Suites! I found the hotel and suite in which we stayed to be luxurious compared to so many other hotels which I've paid more but received so much less...We felt very safe and secure, appreciated the in room safe, it's in a very nice area of Tampa and not far from the aquarium which My nephew (he's 3) and I loved, it's just a hop skip and a jump on the trolley which is very cool if I may add...The pool was fun and with a nice view as well...The beds were so comfortable and breakfast was a dream, everything you could possibly ever want is included on the buffet...As I said before It was truly flawless in everyway...I will look forward to returning again as I will be a loyal guest whenever I'm in the Tampa/St Pete area...I wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else...

Loved the Embassy Suites!

by TripAdvisor Member StraitGirl

I was attending a conference at the convention center during my stay. The Embassy Suites is directly across the street and has a connecting sky-walk for easy access. It would be nice if the sky-walk had been enclosed or at least covered since Tampa usually gets an afternoon shower each day, but it was still nice to have.

My room was a non-smoking room with two double beds. All of the rooms here are two room suites. Very spacious! The front room is a living area which has a sofa (can be made into a bed), a side chair, ottoman, table and flat screen tv. The back room is the bedroom which has an armoire for your clothes as well as a full length mirror and flat screen tv. The bed room has its own door which is nice since you can close that door at night and not have to listen to any noise from the hallway and atrium area. In between these two rooms is the mini bar area with a microwave and small fridge and sink. The bathroom is across from that. I usually do not use the shampoo/conditioners/soaps that hotels provide, but I liked the Embassy Suites' toiletries so much that I never even touched the ones I brought. They were great!

Also, these beds are some of the most comfortable I have ever found in a hotel - and I travel quite a bit.

The full breakfast buffet each morning was great! I went down to the lobby each morning and fixed myself a breakfast tray and took it back to my suite. The waffles are a must!

The front desk staff and bellman were always so very pleasant and helpful.

The only problem I had, which was minor, were the tvs in the room. There were some channels that had picture and no sound, and others that had sound but no picture. It was an intermittent problem, but I still found something to watch when I wanted to so it was not a big deal. I just found it very bizarre. The tv would also change channels on its own when I was no where near the remote or set. Really strange!

I would recommend a high floor so that the noise from the atrium area, especially during the manager's reception, is not a problem.

The Florida Aquarium is just a trolley ride away. The trolley stops right in front of the hotel. It goes to the Channelside area and Ybor City, both of which have a number of restaurants and shops. (I recommend Bernini's in Ybor City and Gallagher's in Channelside.) There is also a movie theater near by. My room overlooked the St. Pete Times Forum and the cruise ship port.

Everyone I talked to that stayed here during the convention really loved it. I can not say enough good things about it. I was ready to go home, but I didn't want to leave my suite AND my maid behind. They were both outstanding!

Good, clean, new hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Florida1010

This is a brand new 20 +/- story hotel. It's very pretty inside and out. Staff was very friendly, helpful and professional. I see what the other reviews mean about the elevators. A long wait time to get one. Also see what they mean about breakfast. It was a "madhouse" at breakfast, but again staff was very courteous and nice. We found a table although it is alittle cramped considering the size of the hotel. Location of the hotel is great. Valet parking went smooth, again valet staff very polite. Overall, great hotel and experience.

A Great Place to Stay Before Cruising

by TripAdvisor Member traveltheworld4fun

The Embassy Suites Downtown Convention Center is a great place to stay before going on a cruise.

The rooms are comfortable and the property is up to Hilton standards. The made to order breakfast was a great way to start the day. The pool is a great place to relax and read the morning paper.

The only negative is that the price we were given by the hotel for the cost of the airport shuttle was double what they had told us. The front desk at Embassy Suites failed to mention that the price was per person an important distinction we learned that should be talked about before entering a cab or shuttle bus in Tampa. Some charge per destination while others charge per passenger.

You can walk from the hotel to the cruise port though on a hot day a cab will just cost a few dollars and only take a couple of minutes.

A great property and a nice hotel. We would stay again.

Brand new

by TripAdvisor Member gkkii

Very convenient location for downtown business and attractions. You can walk to Harbour Island or the Forum. The street car lines connect right in front of the hotel, just outside the door. The breakfast and reception are a bit of a stampede, but not surprising considering the sheer size of the hotel. A full service Starbucks is in the lobby. There are a lot of aging Embassy Suites out there, but this is above your average property. Request a bay view room.

Comments