Hyatt Regency Tampa

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

More about Hyatt Regency Tampa

Excellent experience!

by TripAdvisor Member LawnNinja

After "winning" my stay at Priceline for a more than fair price ($70/night) I came upon these reviews and was ready to rebook my visit to tampa with another hotel...I am glad I didn't...
My husband, toddler, and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Tampa for 2 nights/3days recently, while I was to have outpatient surgery at Tampa General...Everything from the moment we arrived was beyond expectation... The valet and bell hop were courteous and efficient. I'd called earlier to request a fridge for the room and had a friendly conversation with a lady in customer service, somewhere I mentioned I was traveling with a toddler, but did not request an extra bed as we have a great aerobed he is used to sleeping on when visiting anywhere... When we got to the room our fridge was waiting, as well as a very comfortable portable bed for my little guy. We ate dinner that evening at the hotel rest. (avanzare? can't get the name right...sorry) and it was beyond expectations for hotel fare....The menu was beautiful-with choices (and prices) I'd expect from a very upscale place. Service was good. The food-fresh, delicious-everything the menu suggested. Our stay continued after my surgery- minor neck surgery-not terribly noticable- but the staff was so kind in asking how I was feeling and making me aware of their selection of ice creams and sorbets, even offering to check in on me before room service closed for the evening to see if I needed one last "dose" to sooth my sore throat! As someone with a history in customer service I tend to be very picky and somewhat demanding as a consumer, and I truly was thrilled with the high level of diligence, kindness, customer service, and professionalism we experienced....Although we got a great deal through priceline- Hyatt Regency -Tampa is a place I wouldn't mind paying full price for....
Oh- and while the views may not be great (we were on the 8th floor, and the hotel is in a city so views of buildings abound...although we did have a view of the pool area), the guestroom we had was ample in size, in good condition, and very clean and well appointed. They do have brochures about Hyatt's new mattresses and linens in the rooms however the room we had did not have those amenities -but I do not know about the rest of the rooms at this location or when they will be updated. The linens were typical white cotton hotel linens, the mattresses were xtra firm, and the bed cover/quilt was typical unattractive polyester fare...nothing unusual here....but after reading the little brochure about the new beds and down comforters I was a little bummed....still doesn't change my opinion though...

Extravagant price for a mediocre room

Stayed here for one night on business. I will not return. Never have I paid so much for so little. At nearly $400, I expected the room to be much nicer than it was. The room was relatively small and the air didn't work very well (6 hours to go from 75 degrees to 70). Additionally, the bathroom was incredibly musty--I had to keep the door closed. The whole place felt more like $150/night. The restaurant ambiance was nice but the food was overpriced and, consistent with the room, was nothing to write home about.

Not worth a revisit....

by TripAdvisor Member CaramelD1_9

I expected a Hyatt that's located in downtown Tampa to be breathtaking. Unfortunately, the hotel doesn't live up to the name. The lobby is probably the nicest area of the hotel. Some problems: carpet nasty and dirty in hallways, doors slam throughout the night unusually loudly (soundproofing or thicker carper needed), elevator was broken for a minimum of two days, letters peeling off of walls, needs to be priced at a lower rate considering condition of hotel., not near enough restaurants or fast food places. Positives: Food in Avantare restaurant is excellent (not for a limited budget), wait staff need more customer service training though, concierge, bell wait staff (ask for Gita) very helpful. Hotel operator and front desk staff (sounds like they have a mouth full of cotton and can be short at times with customers). If traveling on business, take tax exempt letter to alleviate being charged for taxes.

Pass on the Hyatt

by TripAdvisor Member NDLauren

The Hyatt was a rather disappointing business trip hotel that I stayed in in February of 2006 for two separate weekends. The first weekend was not all that bad-the room was clean, but the bathroom was old and outdated. I had a view of the pool, which was nice, and it looked like several people were enjoying it. I ordered room service one evening and the food arrived promptly and was rather good.
The cons to the first weekend were the elevators and the valet service. When arriving, it took approximately 20 minutes to be able to take an elevator up to my room. Two times, the elevator would fully unload and the doors would close so quickly afterwards that there was no time for anyone to try to move into it to go up. For a hotel this large, you wouldn't think elevators would create a problem. Then, when departing the first weekend, I had called from my room to have the valet bring my car around. When I arrived down, my car was nowhere in sight and no one had record of my call down, so I requested that my keys be put in line. I then proceeded to have to wait another 20 minutes in the cold for them to complete my request.
On the second weekend (which I considered rebooking somewhere else after the first, but ran out of time), I arrived late after a business meeting and the king non-smoking room I had booked was no longer available. Instead, I was put in a double smoking room. The room wreaked and had cigarette burns in the comforter. Fortunately, Hyatt somewhat redeemed themselves by refunding part of the cost of the room, but I would look elsewhere before staying here again.

Nice stay

Stayed one night at the Hyatt in May 2006. Booked for a wonderful price of 70 USD plus tax through Priceline. Shortly after the confirmation from Priceline, I got an email from the Concierge informing me about the hotel etc. I wrote back and asked for bedding type etc. He replied within short and when we arrived, everything was booked for us. No speeches like "Since you booked via priceline, I cannot give you this type of bed, bla, bla, bla". The room was nice - high floor, nice view. The whole apperiance of the hotel was excellent. I also liked the self-service fast check-out machines in the lobby. Concierge was very helpful and Check In was fast. Valet parking also good. Room was good, althought I expected some more toiletries. On the whole, we were very pleased with this stay and of course the price!

Pass this one up.

by TripAdvisor Member peg1027

This place is a mess. Carpet is dirty in hallways and room. Mold and mildew in bathroom. TV and Air conditioner were not working when we arrived and it took them 2 hours to get someone up to fix it. Wrong directions on their website to their hotel. Desk clerks and restaurant staff were not helpful. The only good thing about this place was the doorman. Don't waste your money here.

Expensive but comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member Kajikit

We stayed at the hotel for a convention and got the group rate. It's expensive and they seem to want to nickle and dime you to death (ten dollars a day for internet access, thirteen dollars to watch a movie in your room etc) but the room was nice and big and comfortable, and we had a view over the swimming pool from our room (a nice change from all the places we've stayed in where you had a lovely view of the building next door's brick wall!)
My biggest complaint is the elevators - they're very slow and they broke down continually during the weekend. One of them was fixed twice on the first day we were there!

Also, their conference rooms have LOUSY soundproofing.

Needs a Makeover

by TripAdvisor Member mkgesq

The reviews are correct - this place is long in the tooth. Its location (downtown) is ideal but it is in need of an update. My room was clean but the carpet, wallpaper, furniture and paint (in halls and room) are all old and in need of renovation. Staff is really nice and rate is OK. I usually stay at the Grand Hyatt (closer to the airport) when I am in town for business but it was sold out due to a convention in town so I thought Hyartt Regency would be a great #2. The Grand Hyatt is definitely nicer than this place. Again, clean but very worn down. Only stayed for 1 night so it served my purposes OK in a pinch. Its time for a makeover for this place.

Great Time!

by TripAdvisor Member DallasJazzlover

We stayed there over new year's because it was very close to a hotel that some friends were staying in that didn't have availability. Everything was absolutely wonderful! The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was in great condition with a very nice down comforter and feather pillows. The bar was constantly busy with guests, the pool and jacuzzi were inviting and clean, and the fitness room was always in use. It seemed that while the room had been updated, the bathroom had not. The only disappointment was in the showerhead - it definitely had seen better days. Honestly, the hotel is very nice - it was perfect for our trip. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to others traveling to tampa.

Comments