Sailport Resort

Sailport Waterfront Suites
Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Winch's Profile Photo

Just Passing Through Tampa? Perfect!

EXPERIENCE: 3 nights, over 2 weekends, in 2 different rooms; Mom, Dad & 14-year-old daughter.

PROS: Located right on Old Tampa Bay, about 6 minutes from Tampa International; Very reasonable 1 BR suites w/full kitchen & balcony; Friendly, efficient staff; 24-7 office with snacks, drinks and free computer & printer; Hassle-free wi-fi across property; Complimentary paper, coffee & Danish every morning; Covered, monitored parking: Large, clean pool overlooking the bay with towels, lounges, bayfront sundeck and cheap soda machine; Sunning beach (no swimming) with chairs, hammocks, grills, volleyball, tennis & palm trees; Good (non-chain but $$$) restaurants within half-mile; Easy & scenic trip to Gulf beaches and 15 minutes to Ybor City, downtown Tampa, Busch Gardens, and Joe Robbie Stadium for the Bucs or the Times Forum for the Lightning.

CONS: Complicated, busy expressway interchange must be navigated to get to or from the rest of Tampa (HINT - Always stay on Rt. 60!); Gas stations, grocery stores, K-Marts, Walgreens and other stores are distant and can only be reached via the above mentioned nightmare of an interchange (HINT - Avoid Spruce Street, unless you're retuning to the airport.); Architecture reminiscent of a 1970's Soviet resort on the Black Sea; Minimal kitchen equipment; Not enough chairs & a tiny dining table (2 max); Lousy cable TV line-up; All non-smoking rooms (but balconies, grounds and pool allowed).

SUMMARY: For the price, the best bargain I've seen in 20 years of travel. And a very nice location.

Directions: On Rocky Point, 3 miles from the airport, off Rt. 60, at the entrance for the Shriner's Nat'l HQ.

• mmyerspa's Profile Photo

Great location, bad furniture and decorating

Bed was nasty - I could feel the bedsprings. Great view of the water. Can watch the sunset over the bay from the site - they have a pier and a small beach. Beautiful. I checked out early because the bedroom weirded me out. Felt like a 60s basement. Mirrored closet doors, no pillowtop on the mattress. The rest of the room was ok, and the service was excellent.

Unique Quality: Tennis courts, pool, free gym membership. Great view of the water and sunset.
    Really cheap if you're on a budget. I got a 1 BR suite for $79.

• lashr1999's Profile Photo

Sailport Waterfront Suites

Very nice stay, front desk was helpful when we met them. Suiutes have a separate kitchen, balcony and sitting area. Nice views of the water.

More about Sailport Resort

Awesome place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member Lorraine7

Stayed at the Sailport on October 29th, and October 30th and found the rooms to be exceptionally clean and the view wonderful.

The staff was VERY helpful.

I loved the location which was in an area that did not have tons of traffic. The hotel was easy to get to, close to the airport, had covered parking areas, and the price was excellent.

All in all, I'd certainly recommend this hotel to you if you want comfort, quiet, and extremely clean rooms. The kitchen area was a definite plus.

I would be happy to stay here again.

Never again!

I don't even know where to begin! Rooms smelled humid. Furniture was stained. The kitchen area had a "sticky" feeling. The bed sagged in the middle. The ceiling water stains. After I told the front desk about my experience, they charged extra for the local calling privilege even though I didn’t make any phone calls. I didn’t dispute it because I just wanted to get out of there! If you’re looking for a disappointment, the Sailport is for you!

Great place for the price

Don't let the title fool you, this place really isn't a "resort," but it has some nice amenities that you will not find anywhere in Tampa (for the low price). I stayed here in May, 2004 and I was extremely pleased with the waterfront view and the fully equipped kitchen. I was in Tampa for a conference, and Sailport was definitely more comfortable than a normal hotel room.

There are a few nuissances (like the elevator locations and the light continental breakfast), but these can be overlooked if you keep the low cost in mind. The hotel is also convenient to the municipal beach (less than a mile) and Clearwater Beach (about 25 miles?)...

Nice place to stay!

This place has a nice layout, both for the motel overall, and for the room we stayed in. It was nice having different rooms to spread out in, and the bay view (which seems to be a feature of all the rooms) was enjoyable. We enjoyed sunset by the bay in the poolside patio, and the dinner we had at nearby Whiskey Joe's was excellent. The place is aging, and could use some spiffing up of interior and furnishings, but is still fairly nice. It would be our first choice for future stays in Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater.

Excellent Value

by TripAdvisor Member loraron513

Rented two suites, 2-bedroom and 1-bedroom. Both were very clean, well appointed, and offered an excellent view of the Bay. The size and quality of the rooms were exceptional for the rate we paid. Pool is small and was crowded at all times but we had little interest in it. Staff was courteous and accomodating. I would definitely stay here again.

Why did I stay here? A lesson learned!! Don't be cheap!

I was soooooo disappointed. Where do I begin??? A backache for 4 days! The beds are so soft my husband and I kept rolling into the center on top of each other and believe me we weren't trying! Same with the pull out couch!!! Our slide key never worked on the first time--try the fourth!!! The one bedroom is so small we had to squeeze past each other for 4 days! I got so tired of saying "excuse me, sorry babe". I sounded like a broken record. The bedroom window is a view of the hotel hallway and will scare you seeing drunks walk past in the middle of the night. This hotel is the worst design ever. Whoever designed it should have got a "f" for effed up!!! The room is in the shape of the letter E and soooo chopped up. We were miserable and glad we had to leave early because of Hurricane Frances! Never again!

Enjoyed stay for Jan. 2004 Outback Bowl

Room was clean n well maintained. Staff helpful. Was being remodeled but my area was finished. Unusual amenities in room. Two restaurants within walking distance behind hotel. If Iowa returns to Outback Bowl will stay here again.

Suggestion on where to stay in Tampa?

by msp_ssa

My family and I will be going to Tampa/St. Petersburg, FL in a few days. I'm looking for a hotel that offers rooms with a kitchen. We have two little kids, 1 year and 3 years. This is a vacation to escape the cold Minnesota winter, but also a fact finding mission to see if Tampa could be a good fit for us as a place to live. So I'm trying to get info on a good locale where we could be close to the beach, in case the weather is nice, but not too far from residential areas, middle class neighborhoods. We're partial to multi-cultural blue collar areas. Also info on how the traffic in Tampa is would be helpful. Is St. Pete Beach a haul form Tampa? It doesn't look that far, but in terms of time and traffic it's hard for me to judge. Thanks for any reply in advance.

Ben

Re: Suggestion on where to stay in Tampa?

by golfguyfla

My family has stayed at the Sailport Resort and loved it.

Comments