3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Satisfaction Average

Costs 63% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Sheraton Riverwalk

The Sheraton Riverwalk is really a fantastic hotel in a prime downtown, waterfront location. We had a great conference here, and the service really couldn't be beat. Room rates were under $90, refreshments were good, the hotel amenities certainly adequate, and the staff flawless. The hotel itself is a bit dated, but it has nicely refurbished rooms and beautiful sunny common areas.

The 277 regular rooms and 16 suites are all recently remodeled with free wifi, flat panel TVs, many with refrigerators and private balconies overlooking the Hillsborough River. Downstairs is a great little restaurant called the Ashley Street Grill, with a bar open until around 11pm each night. They also have a comfortable open lobby with a business center and numerous lounging areas with TVs. Outside is a pool that overlooks the river, and it has lots of lounge chairs for enjoying the afternoon sun (but the AM sun is blocked by the hotel). They also have several big conference room for your business functions. This hotel is the home of the Tampa River Taxi, and they have a great gift shop.

Probably the biggest drawback is the parking situation. The only option here is valet parking at around $15 or $20 a day. There is some city street parking nearby, but many of the parking meters charge all night, and lots of the spaces are reserved for taxis, buses, loading zones, and more. There are a few garages nearby run by Central Parking, for $15-$20 a day, but they are closed on weekends. The closest city garage is located on Whiting Street, but it is reserved for monthly parking contracts only. Basically... good luck.

• Marinel's Profile Photo

The view was spectacular

People around us where tolerable.

To tolerate.. example from a TV show, America's guide.

Tolerant, but not stupid! Look, just because you have to tolerate something doesn't mean you have to approve of it! ..."Tolerate" means you're just putting up with it! You tolerate a crying child sitting next to you on the airplane or, or you tolerate a bad cold. It can still *** you off!" -- Mr. Garrison

Unique Quality: I could be loud and no one came knocking to keep a down, a plus in my book! : ).. The party hotel!!

Directions: It was my 32nd Birthday, I don't remember how, when and where?.. But I assure you I had a blast!

More about Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel

Not great

by TripAdvisor Member aaronvot

This hotel was not great. The rooms were nice but the service was not very good at all for the price. The staff were not real friendly and the wait service in the bar was very slow. The wait to get a drink was terrible and one afternoon the bar was empty and I sat there for 10 minutes before the manager came in and said someone would be right with me. Another 5 minutes went by and I got up and walked out. I just wanted a beer! It is not close to anything downtown, no shops, bars or restaurants within 3 blocks. The valet service was also slow and they expected a tip to get your car and when you return. I was reluctant to tip them because it took so long to get your car! They also do not go out of their way to help you get a taxi. One more complaint, my room key kept getting decoded because they said my cell phone was too close to it??! I have never heard of that and I had to get the key re set 4 or 5 times and of course I had to wait 5-10 minutes each time. It was a pain. Overall, the room was nice and comfortable but the service was terrible and I would not stay there again.

Rooms good, front desk service abysmal

While the room was quite nice (good work area, free wireless internet, balcony overlooking the river, nice closet and bathroom), the staff at the front desk were not helpful. We arrived early and were told rooms would not be ready until check-in at 3pm (not a problem). After waiting in the lobby until 3pm, we re-approached the front desk and were told that the rooms were not ready. The attending staff was not able to provide any estimate whatsoever as to the time at which the room would be available (not "15 minutes" vs. "3 hours") and blamed an electronic updating system for room cleaning status. We noticed a number of fellow guests having heated conversations with front desk staff during our three day stay and would not recommend the facility until management makes staffing changes. Front desk staff "got rid" of guests with requests by telling them they would get back to them "later" (for us, this was never).

The staff on duty in the Club Suite room were very attentive and helpful. The room itself and hotel amenities were to our liking. One elevator did not work reliably (stopped on random floors, etc.).

Beware- may trap you into fraudulent charges!

I booked this hotel through Orbitz for a business trip and was charged the full room amount ($170) on booking. on checking into the hotel, they took my credit card number. later after i left the hotel, and checked my credit card bill, they had charged me an extra 130$ for the room! I have been trying to call them and contact them but to no avail- they keep sending you to "accounting" where the person is constantly "out of the office" and asks you to leave a number to call back (and of course they have never called back as yet). It seems to be becoming clear that this is a fraudulent set-up. Besides, the hotel services are quite disappointing, considering its three-star rating- long queues all the time at the reception desk, cleaning staff that bang on the door early in the morning, and wake-up calls that you didn't ask for at 6 AM. NEVER in my life am I going back there!

Where did these other reviewers really stay?

by TripAdvisor Member chazaroo

I have to admit I was worried. I made my reservations before checking Tripadvisor. And after reading the reviews here, I really had reservations.So I contacted Starwood to ask what was up with this property. They forwarded my concerns to the hotel mgr. He in turn emailed me to explain they had been rehabbing the property but it was finished and the problems they had been having were taken care of. So I showed up and everything was fine. The hotel was nicely decorated. The room was great, good view of the water from the balcony. Great bed. Good sized room. King bed, love seat, desk ,etc. Check in was smooth and everybody was friendly. The bartender (don't remember her name) gave me suggestions and directions to some good local area restaurants. The next morning when I checked out, the valet asked me if I needed directions to anywhere. Bottom line, pleasant hotel, good value.As for the other reviews, I don't get it. It's like they were staying at some alternate universe Sheraton Tampa Riverfront Hotel. It felt like Starwood to me.

Good stay

by TripAdvisor Member MBNick

Just stayed there this week-end. Was apprehensive due to negative reviews. Must have been in the past as we had no problems. This is NOT a 5 star facility. However, rooms (river side) were spacious. Comfortable king bed, love seat, desk, etc. Oddly very little drawer space. Bathroom fine.

Bell and valet staff were excellent. Bar staff was good, restaurant staff ran from good to ok. Newspapers provided 7 days. Nice pool area. Can eat or drink outdoors over looking the river.

Ate at the restaurant one night and two breakfasts. Was surprisingly good. In bar, mixed drinks reasonable, by the glass wine a bit pricey (but that seemed true of Tampa).

They had a wedding going on each day and took the crowd in stride not affecting other patrons at all.

Location is right in downtown, conveniently near the Convention Center and attractions. They offer a free shuttle in a 3 mile radius. Recently rennovated and it shows.

Very pleased, no problems!

by TripAdvisor Member gottacruise

We stayed here for 2 nights pre-cruise 13/14 April. The hotel was included in the cruise package but when I read the reviews I was tempted to book another hotel at extra cost. I am so glad I didn't. We found the opposite to the negative reviews. Approx 200 people were all on the same package and check-in was fast, efficient and friendly. Our room, 314, balcony with city view was fine. Immaculately clean, usual wonderful Sheraton bed, nice bathroom with new fittings, tea/coffee fixings in the room, free newspaper. No early maid service/unwanted wake-up calls. Very friendly desk staff, nothing was too much trouble and all with a smile. We didn't want to hire a car and made use of the free shuttle offered around town. We asked the valet if he could give us directions to the nearest mall and he actually phoned the bus company for us to get times/directions. We had dinner in the restaurant one night and the food was good and the service friendly. Friends had breakfast and said it was an excellent buffet with made to order egg station. If you are eating in the hotel, go to the home page on-line and print out the 20% restaurant voucher accepted with no problem. We enquired at the front desk about booking a cab to take us to the ship and were told to PLEASE use the free shuttle. We were a bit concerned because of the amount of people that would need to be transported but it was the most orderly evacuation!! They had laid on extra coaches of varying sizes and everyone was treated with courtesy, all at no charge! Sorry this is rather long but knowing how concerned we were, I just wanted to reassure anyne who has booked this hotel that it is fine.

Sorry for the stay

by TripAdvisor Member Wings22

Arrived late, traffic, after missing the narrow and hidden turn twice finally arrived. Asked the Bell where to park only valet. The check-in went OK, but the room was not what one may expect. White wood table with T.V on top the only draws cherrywood desk and chair. Bible and directory on shelf in closet the carpet looks like underlament. Had made a special call to Hotel making sure breakfast was included and was assured it was. Bingo on checking out you guess it. $19.30 on the bill for breakfast when I inquired you needed to get it at the club room, on the 6th Fl. before 9am Sir. did you use the parking? yes, $28.00 cash, if possible? The desk clerk asked several people before me for cash for parking use a @14.00per day. Location good but everything else so, so. Starwood needs to work on this place.

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome

The hotel was absolutely awesome. My husband and I went to the Faith Hill and Tim McGraw concert this weekend and the area was very busy. We pulled up and the valet was quick to help us. They offered luggage help but I only had an overnight bag. Went to the front desk and a tall man (Jorge?) in a suit checked us in. He was very nice and we felt like we were getting the royal treatment! What a wonderful asset to the Sheraton Brand! He upgraded us and we went to the room. The room was spacious and comfortable...everything looked new! My husband felt at home because of the 50+ channels the tv had. We called for a late check later on that evening and the girl was very friendly and gave us a 1pm check out. We got dressed up and asked for directions to the concert at the front desk. There were three people including Jorge there and they all were helping guests. Jorge recognized me and mentioned the shuttle could take us to the concert. What great service! The concert was awesome and we slept in the next day. Upon check out, Marco (sp?) was there and he was very friendly too. Everyone was fantastic and we had an awesome time. I visit a lot of hotels and this is one of my favorites!

Comments