700 South Florida Ave, Tampa, Florida, 33602, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 200% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Tampa Marriott Waterside

The Tampa Marriott Waterside is one of the city's best hotels in a great central location and with lots of amenities. What more could you ask for, other than perhaps free parking? Sorry, can't have it all!

This great hotel is located just across the street from the St Pete Times Forum, home of numerous sporting events and concerts, as well as the TECO Streetcar, which can take you around the city. Nearby, within easy walking distance are the Tampa Riverwalk Park, the Tampa Bay History Center, and the shops and restaurants of Channelside.

The hotel itself offers some 700 rooms on 27 floors, all with coffee and internet access in the rooms (for a $15 fee). The hotel has numerous great features such as conference rooms, three restaurants, a business center, on-site laundry, room service, barber shop, on-site car rental, pool and fitness center.

• SMOKERS! Tampa Marriott Waterside is non-smoking

I couldn't find this info anywhere else so I am here to help you smokers. Unless you can enjoy yourself without smoking for a long time, I would stay somewhere else. I planned to travel with a group of 30 and I am the only one among them who smokes. I've been stressed wondering how long i would have to go without smoking a cigarette and how far I woulkd have to go to smoke if I were forced to stay in a non-smoking room. The Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel is a non-smoking hotel, as I think are all Marriotts. Hoping that our room would at least have a balcony I could go out on was my only hope for the mornings.. A VERY KIND & UNDERSTANDING woman that I spoke to when I called the Marriott Waterside direct to see where exactly I could go to smoke at this hotel, told me:
    You can ONLY smoke OUTDOORS at the Waterside Cafe. THAT'S IT. She told me that if you are caught smoking outside on your own room's balcony (not all rooms have balconies) you can get a $250.00 fine and that she has seen it happen. I am so thankful for her warning me. I am 90 percent sure that I am going to have to pass on this trip due to my addiction to nicotine, and my unwillingness to quit at this point in my life, just to enable me to participate in the honor I was chosen to be a part of. I will not stop smoking because a dictatorship government tells me that I cannot smoke somewhere. I'll quit when I feel confident that I can succeed and be happy about it. "And that's all I have to say about that.." - Forrest Gump

• doug48's Profile Photo

great location

the marriott waterside hotel is located on tampa bay in the channel side district just east of downtown tampa. the marriott waterside has one of the best locations in tampa. it is very close to downtown, the st. pete times forum, the aquarium, the port of tampa, and ybor city. the marriott offers all of the amenities of a good business class hotel. because of it's excellent location i highly recommend it.

Directions: channel side, just east of downtown near the st. pete times forum.

• imjustsaying's Profile Photo

Tampa's Newest Hotel

I had a fantastic stay at this hotel. I was given a complimentary room upgrade to an executive level. The room was beautiful and included a balcony with a great view of the area. I could see the Golf and the Forum. The Florida Aquarium, Convention Center and Channelside District are all within walking distance (if you can stand the heat/humidity in July)

I was attending Tampa in July 2004 for a trade show which was also at the hotel so it was very convenient. I found the restaurant prices for breakfast to be far too high.

They had a fabulous outdoor pool but I never had the opportunity to use it.

I was travelling off-season and had a special conference rate. Tampa isn't really where you want to be in July though..it's far too humid to be comfortable outdoors. They had a promotion going on that if you used your Diner's Club card to pay for the hotel, they upgraded your Marriott Rewards level to the next tier.

Directions: This hotel is right near the water and a restaurant/bar area is within easy walking distance. "Channelside District"

• tafurojo's Profile Photo

Waterside Hotel

The Marriot is a great place to stay if you are in town for a concert, convention, business trip or sporting event. It is downtown and only minutes from the airport.

Directions: downtown

More about Tampa Marriott Waterside

The Best!

I stay at the Tampa Marriott Waterside every year for the Florida Music Educator's convention. All my colleagues and parents of all state kids stay there too. It's the best hotel in Tampa.

I usually go there with my husband and he deals with the parking and check in while I go to the convention. This year, however, I went alone. The valet, though packed with cars, was efficient. I was in a really crummy mood cause I got lost with all the one way streets in Tampa but the valet and check in staff managed to cheer me up before I went on my way.

I had a HUGE comfy bed as I always do. Fluffy mattress and lots of pillows. Soft cooshy comforter. Ahhhhhh! The room service was outstanding. I'm a big fan of fast and tasty room service. In many hotels it can take 45 minutes or longer. So after I called my order in (black and blue burger and a couple of beers and a cheesecake) I sat in a nice hot tub. The food came while I was soaking.... in about 20 minutes. I had to answer the door soaking wet with a towel wrapped around me. The delivery guy was very professional. Dropped off my food as if I was fully and normally clothed. This was the second best room service I've ever had... second only to the Royal Pacific in Universal Orlando.

I will stay at this hotel every time I go to Tampa. I'm already looking forward to my next year's stay in January. (Already have it booked too.)

Event Planners Beware

I just returned from holding an event at the Tampa Marriott Waterside. To say that I was disappointed with this hotel would not BEGIN to describe my experience. In my line of work, the customer is always right - I would have taken half right on this trip but didn't even get that. Our event had been planned at this hotel for several years and I mistakenly thought that this might make us a priority ... it didn't. I have been an event planner for three years and NEVER had the issues that I had at this hotel. Two-thirds of my requested room changes were not made, the rooming list was entered incorrectly in a variety of ways - people not listed, arrival and departure dates not listed correctly, etc . The hotel front desk and wait staff were less than helpful - rather than trying to help me sort things out I met with resistance, rolled eyes and deep sighs. My organization held a conference at the Anaheim Marriott in 2003 and the entire experience could not have been more wonderful. The Waterside could learn many things from the staff at the Anaheim Marriott. The Waterside is a beautiful property and I was disappointed at the lack of customer service in most areas. The hotel booked several other events in the hotel while we were there and I felt that sacrificed the service we received. One of my attendees works for Marriott and even she was appalled at the service, rather lack there of. The food was terrible. Two of my attendees were walking to the Grand Ballroom and one made the comment, “I hope dinner is good tonight,” and the other attendee commented, “Don’t count on it.” Needless to say, I was completely embarrassed. On a positive note, the maid service was wonderful. The rooms were very clean and all requests from housekeeping were made immediately. The employees in shipping were also wonderful – very attentive and helpful.

Bait and Switch

All specially priced rooms for a workshop I planned to attend were sold out. Determining that regular rate, $259, was beyond what my company would pay, I made a reservation with Courtyard Marriott. After arrival, I knew I would never get any rest, so called Marriott Waterside again and asked if rooms were available. The answer was yes and the price quoted was $159/night. Thinking that the rate was a last minute deal, I jumped on it. Price billed to my credit card was $100 HIGHER than quoted, the exact rate I had turned down before!

Desk clerk was uncooperative. Day manager was unrelenting and unreasonable. His offer to reduce rate by $30 was insulting.

Planners beware!

Great location!

We stayed at this hotel for a conference. It was our first time in Tampa, and so we did a bit of exploring. This hotel is very conveniently located right next to the last trolley stop, and within walking distance of the Channelside restaurants. There is also a Public grocery store within walking distance.

We had a good-sized room with a comfortable bed, and a beautiful view of the water. One morning, we looked down from our window and could see manta rays swimming in the water below. The bathroom is larger than average, and includes a nice big shower head. Everything about the hotel, from its lobby to its hallways and rooms was open and spacious. All the staff from the clerks to the valets to the bellhops were extremely polite and professional.

The restaurants at the hotel are nothing to write home about though. We tried the bar and grill, and the food was passable. The breakfast buffet at the cafe was awful however. I highly recommend making a short walk across the bridge to try Jackson's Bistro/Grill/Sushi. This place had amazing sushi and desserts, and you can get a seat out on the patio next to the water. In Channelside, we dined at Tinatapas, a fantastic Spanish restaurant whose menu was somewhat tailored for American tastes. It was quite delicious! For more authentic Spanish/Cuban food, we took the trolley to the Columbia restaurant in Ybor city. This place has been open for 100 years now, and the menu was much more authentic.

We also rented a car to go to the island beaches which are less than an hour's drive away. (The drives are also very scenic.) Beautiful white sand everywhere! We found Clearwater to be overrated, and overrun by people. The smaller more isolated beaches were more to our taste.

Where to stay in Tampa

by IsabelR

Can anyone recommend a B&B or hotel in Tampa?
Thanks.

Re: Where to stay in Tampa

by efritch

Tampa and area is quite large. Do you mean out by the beach in Clearwater or close to downtown? What do you plan to do while there?

Re: Re: Where to stay in Tampa

by IsabelR

We are going to attend a show at the Tampa Convention Center. They recommend staying at the Marriott Waterside, but their prices look fairly high for the event. I am not sure the hotel is worth it. We have often enjoyed local B&B's and other hotels more. It may not be the case this time however. We h

Re: Re: Where to stay in Tampa

by IsabelR

Thanks - appreciate the input.

Comments