The Westin Tampa Harbour Island

725 S. Harbour Island Blvd., (formerly Wyndham Harbour Island), Tampa, Florida, 33602, United States

Westin Tampa Harbour Island
Booking.com Priceline.com Westin.com

• mmyerspa's Profile Photo

Great views, good internet rate

September 2007 - hotel renovation in progress but appears to be nearly complete. This means the rooms are very comfortable - with double head showers (aaaah....), wide screen TVs, and big, soft towels. They seem to have some elevator problems. One of the three elevators was broken during more than one of my stays, so the wait for an elevator was really long. This is the only complaint I have about the hotel. Very nice exercise room - state of the art treadmills (probably 6-7), stationary bikes, and also weight machines (probably 6-7 different machines).

Unique Quality: Stayed here 3 times - great views of the water and skyline every time. Wide screen TVs. Within safe walking distance of the Forum, the convention center, and the end of Bayfront Blvd. One of the best exercise rooms I've seen in a hotel.

More about The Westin Tampa Harbour Island

Wyndham Harbour Island Hote

This was my first stay in Tampa, what a great hotel. Everyone went out of their way to make my trip special. The front desk staff were outstanding. I loved the view from my room. I will be back with my family.

Loved the Wyndham Harbour Island

I was in Tampa, Florida last week on business for 5 days. I chose to stay at the Wyndham Harbour Island over the Marriott Waterside and Hyatt Regency because I have associates who said that the water view from the island was best from Wyndham Harbour Island Hotel. I got a suite upgrade. I think that the upgrade was because I am a Wyndham ByRequest member. In all my travels, I have stayed in some of the best suites in the country, the Wyndham Harbour Island's grand suite on the 12th floor is one of the best! I had an incredible view of the island we were on and the island across the river. I also enjoyed eating the crab cakes in their Luna Di Mare Restaurant. After a full day of business, I relaxed in the Bistro with my favorite drink. Kenny at the front desk was so responsive to my requests for information about Tampa and the hotel. This is a must stay.

Newly renovated room

We stayed at the Wyndham Harbour Island for two nights over the Christmas weekend to "escape" from the extended family get-together. It is an older hotel, newly renovated, but with its age showing e.g. in the buttons in the elevator, the signs to the pool and the thermostat controls in our room (which worked very well. It was purely cosmetic). Makes you wonder why they spent all this money on expensive renovations, but missed these minor details that are very noticeable. Our room was newly renovated, very clean, on the 8th floor with a spectacular view to the channel, harbor and island, and a partial view of the Bay (full view of the bay if you came close to the left side of the window). The King size bed was very comfortable. The towels smelled of bleach. The bathroom had a nice modern granite countertop, but the shower was conventional, too shallow for a bath and boring. The old 4X4 floor tiles looked very 1980s. There was no refrigerator, so we chilled our champagne in ice from the ice machine in the sink. The breakfast was very nice. One morning a la carte, one the buffet. Our waitress was very attentive. Overall the staff was professional friendly, but there were no special touches at all (I had let them know that it was my birthday when I made the reservation)and besides it was Christmas...
So overall: it was clean, the view was spectacular, the food was nice, but something was missing. I would probably try another hotel in Tampa next time.
TIP for the hotel staff: add some special touches and a refrigerator!

Will not return

I stayed at the Wyndham Harbour Island recently for a conference, with my husband in-tow for a mini-break. While the conference facilities were adequate, our overall impression of the hotel was less than favorable.

We arrived at the hotel at 10:55 pm, tired and hungry. Room service ended at 11 pm, so we were not able to order a meal. We thought that we might instead snack from the room's mini-bar, but discovered that the room did not have a mini-bar (it didn't even have bottles of water one commonly finds in hotel rooms). The hotel staff recommended that we walk over the nearby bridge to the Marriott which had a sports bar that was open late (the sports bar was fine; no smoking allowed, so it was pleasant and the staff was very friendly).

Our room was classed as non-smoking but smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. Fortunately, the room was on the 12th floor and featured a large French door (no balcony, just a railing), that allowed us to have some fresh air in the room. The view from the room was fabulous - across the bay with a view of downtown. The bed was comfortable and the shower pressure was very good.

My husband enjoys working out and was very disappointed in the exercise facility - a space smaller than a hotel room with two treadmills and not much else. He ended up going to a gym on Harbour Island and was charged $16 for each visit.

We ate lunch at the lobby-level restaurant one day and waited 25 minutes + for our appetizer (our entrees arrived about 2 minutes later). The staff did not seem too concerned about the delay. We did enjoy a couple of meals at Jackson's restaurant which is adjacent to the hotel, but not affiliated with it.

Overall we were very disappointed with our stay and would not recommend this hotel to business travelers or people traveling on vacation.

Fantastic hotel

by TripAdvisor Member redsox721

We just returned from 4 nights at this hotel. After reading some of the earlier reviews, I was a bit nervous. Boy was my worry for nothing. This hotel is wonderful. The staff was friendly and readily available for questions. They were very helpful. We had a king room on the 10th floor with a wonderful view of the Hillsborough river and Davis Island. The room was very large as was the bathroom. The bed was extremely comfortable. I did not see any evidence of bugs as stated by a previous reviewer. (I found most of his review to be wrong) We had no problem pulling out the TV to watch it from the table and chairs. The room did not smell at all. The housekeeping staff brought us extra towels shortly after we called for them. Yes, some did not speak english very well but we had no problem communicating with them. The coffeemaker is on a small table in the entry way but we had no problem using it and did not make a mess. The room was clean, bright and nicely decorated. The carpets and walls were in fine shape. There is a large closet in the entry way also that lights up when you open the door. The pool area looked very nice although we didn't use the pool. We didn't order room service but I looked at the menu and it seemed to be priced okay. I think what makes it pricey is they add 18% service charge and tax to the bill. (You need to remember that you are at a high end hotel.) The store in the lobby sells sandwiches, coffee, breakfast items, snack food, beer and wine. This was reasonably priced. We would get breakfast from here in the morning. It is convenient to Channelside as you can walk to it. They offer shuttle service to and from the airport which was great.

All in all I found this hotel to be a wonderful experience. I would stay here again.

Ants and Noise at the Wyndham

We were there 11/3 - 11/6. Large rooms, but tiles were falling off in the bath, tub had moldy grout, and wallpaper was coming off the walls. Ants, and more ants. They sprayed a couple of times, but it didn't help. There were 2 weddings over the weekend and there were constant parites in the halls that lasted until 5 AM. Only one way to the swimming pool, via an old elevator passing by guests rooms. Elevator service was too slow. Mgt. did not care about the noise nor the ants. Good food at the motel and in Tampa. Close to the Convention Center. Easy access to the tolleys that will take you anywhere. Too noisy for those of us in our 40's. Don't take the advise of the hotel staff for Ybour City during the week. This area of town is dead. Friday/Saturday nights were a great time to go to Ybour City. No frig or micro in the rooms. Centrally located. Good location.

Mixed experience: great view, bad housekeeping, great buffet

by TripAdvisor Member ninko999

Room #1: paid extra for a great view, got a mediocre view instead and a tiny bathroom for a 2-bed room. Non-smoking room smelled strongly of smoke. By the time I got there my family had already settled in, and they didn't want to pack everything up and move, so they stayed there.

Room #2: didn't pay any extra, got a fantastic view. Unfortunately, garbage can still full of garbage from last guest (business papers, bottle of Jack Daniels...). Nice large bathroom.

Had 2 coupons for free breakfast buffet, which was excellent (runs 6:30-11, very convenient, lots of decent food). Restaurant staff were very nice. Jackson's is a nearby restaurant with waterside dining and good food (can even accommodate vegetarian wheat-free dairy-free).

Parking hideously expensive, but somehow my sister managed to sweet-talk her way into a parking coupon and we never had to pay.

Very convenient to the Tampa General Hospital.

Revising My 2004 Review

by TripAdvisor Member KennyfanFairfaxVA

I had given this hotel a positive review back in February 2004. I recently stayed here again but this time my room was not at all the same quality. This plus the disparate reviews makes me think that you need to be very specific when requesting a room. My mattress was horrible this time (resulting in very poor rest) and one of the days we did not get maid service. I got incorrect advice from the front desk staff one day, but good service from them the other days.

I was here for a meeting and for any meeting planners reading this, the meeting itself was fine and the hotel does a great job with that.

stay elsewhere

by TripAdvisor Member legit

We stayed at the Wyndham the first week of March. (my partner was at a conference there). Checked in about 10pm and went to our reserved (and confirmed) non-smoking King room. Imagine our surprise to open the door (12th floor) to a smokey room with 2 double beds! After returning to the front desk demanding a room change and them telling us there were no available kings, we settled into another double bedded room on the 4th floor. We had insisted that they move us the next day -something the manager had to be forced to agree to. He did give us certificates for the breakfast bar.

We started to get ready for bed and pulled down the sheets (having decided to sleep in seperate beds to get a good night sleep) only to find that one bed had a very dirty top sheet (the previous occupant must have worn a lot of makeup!) and the blanket was equally dirty (melted chocolate chips or worse we did not want to examine it closely).

We called down and asked that housekeeping come change the sheets and blanket. A security guard showed up about 15 minutes later and handed over the bedding. We explained to him we had requested room service and about 10 minutes later we were called and told there was no housekeeping on duty.

Day 2 started at the breakfast bar. Hard to believe that the pancakes I placed on my plate could not be cut with a knife. (I sawed for a while but only make a 1/4 inch headway). The fresh fruit was fine. We would have been really upset to have payed $14 per person for canned corn beef hash and the above mentioned pancake.

I checked out the pool to find a man picking broken glass off the bottom of the pool to protect his children from getting cut. (When I reported this to the front desk they did send someone to the pool to deal with the problem). I chose not to swim.

We were moved as had been arranged into a no smoking King and that night was uneventful.

Day 3: Bedtime comes around and we find that a double sheet had be placed on the king-size bed. Once again we have to change the sheets ourselves.

Day 4 My partner wakes to find her clothes (placed on the chair before bed) are covered with ants! She has to go through each piece shaking them and killing the ants before her clothing can be worn. By the time we leave the room (to check out) the chair is swimming in them.

Front Desk:
The people at the front desk were friendly enough but clueless when it came to dining suggestions. A request of a place for stone crabs gave me Joe's Stone Crabs (located in Miami 4 hours away). If I could not be found on Google I was beyond their scope. I next thought the valet team might be a better source. One actually suggested Red Lobster. (not usually known for their Stone Crab.)

The staff claims they have been taken over by Hilton. Maybe it will get better. I for one will never try again.

Comments