The Quilters Inn Bed & Breakfast

Wauchula, FloridaWauchula, Florida

Travel Tips for Wauchula

A Brief Visit to Wauchula, Florida

by CaptNSandyJ

"Deviation from Flight Plan"

My husband, Mick, and I had planned a flight from Merritt Island, Florida to Venice, Florida. We set out on our journey, Tuesday, in a Cessna 172, flying VFR.

While enroute to our destination, we encountered some less-than-favorable weather, so we decided to land our plane and wait for the sky to clear at the Lake Wales airport. After about a half hour, the skies cleared and we took off again planning to complete our flight to Venice.

Unfortunately, we began seeing lowering ceilings and dense rain ahead of us. Not wanting to fly into that weather environment, we decided to check our GPS for the nearest airport which happened to be Wauchula Municipal Airport (KCHN).

As we were about 10nm away from the airport, we radioed our plans to make a full stop landing there.

Wauchula, Florida Map Credits:

"Wauchula Municipal Airport"

The Wauchula Municipal Airport has two runways, 18 and 36 and has a large area for tiedowns. Being a municipal airport the only facilities are outside soda machines, inside bathrooms (clean!) and a pilot's lounge area. The lounge contains the bare essentials, a radio and telephone. However, the phone can be used to call information (411) to get a taxi into town.

Photo credits:

"City of Wauchula, Florida"

My husband and I found the people of Wauchula to be very friendly and helpful!!! Our first encounter with a Wauchula native was with Cecil our taxi driver, from the Wauchula Taxi Company. He was very courteous and knowledgeable about the area. As we were both quite hungry, he suggested that we dine at Nicholas Family Restaurant. We did and the food was excellent!!! After dinner, we called for a taxi, specifically requesting Cecil.

Once back in the taxi, we explained to Cecil that since we had not originally planned to stay in Wauchula, we had no idea where to spend the night. Cecil immediately told us about the hotels and motels in Wauchula. We decided, based on his personal recommendation, to spend the night at the Tropicana. The room we had was very large and supplied TV with cable, a refrigerator, microwave, king size bed,and private bathroom all for only $54/night.

The next day we walked to the Walmart Supercenter which was near the motel, bought some warm clothes (Wauchula was expecting a cold weather front), got another taxi and headed back to the airport.

On the way back to the airport, the taxi driver had some other travelers in the taxi and we enjoyed a really nice unexpected tour through the City of Wauchula.

Wauchula is a lovely city with many historic buildings and tree lined streets.

Overall, my husband and I really enjoyed our brief adventure in Wauchula, Florida.

Comments