Doubletree Hotel Palm Beach Gardens

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Executive Meeting Center Palm Beach Gardens
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 48% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• cordovalady's Profile Photo

I'll take the cookie, but you can keep the room

After driving up from Fort Lauderdale to Boca Raton, we had made reservations at the last minute thru Hilton's 800 reservation line for the Embassy Suites in Palm Beach Gardens. Upon our arrival, we tip toed thru the lobby over wet towels strewn across the floor. Seems the roof was leaking. The prettiest site was the swan swimming in the koi pond. We were informed that reservations had goofed and we did not have a room; however, they had taken the liberty to place us across the street at the Doubletree instead. How nice and how lucky we were to find a room at such short notice. We jumped in the car and went across the street after maneuvering a difficult U-turn under the freeway. We checked in, got our warm chocolate chip cookie and headed off to our rooms. My companion had a room on the 2nd floor and I had to travel on up to the 3rd, thru a breezeway out into the heat and humidity again and across a long hall way to my separate building. Loaded with my heavy suitcase and laptop, I was ready to flop on the bed for a rest. But my room key wouldn't work. Called my friend and went over to her room. On the way I noticed a gang of guys playing baseball in the gardens below. Hmmm, must be a college group here for some sporting event. After I saw the saddened look on my friend's face -- she was booked into a room that she thought was non-smoking but it was obvious that smokers had been there quite recently. It also appeared to have not had any renovation or redecoration since about 1975! We immediately took off for the lobby and sheepishly told the clerk that we just couldn't accept such a shabby room, plus my key didn't work. He graciously took our keys and quickly said "no problem" I guess he's pretty used to people checking out rather quickly! Tip: Try to stay at the Embassy Suites across the street!!

Comments