albany is a medium sized city located in southwest georgia. the area around albany was originally called thronateeska by the creek native american tribe. thronateeska means flint in creek and the creeks found flint in the river to make arrowheads. in 1836 the connecticut busnessman nelson tift established a settlement on the flint river and named the town albany after albany new york. prior to the civil war the area around albany had numerous cotton plantations and the flint river was used to transport cotton to markets. today the economy of albany is based on transportation, manufacturing, and the nearby marine logistics base. of interest to the tourist is the beautiful flint river, the downtown historic district and nearby radium springs.
nelson tift (1810-1891) and his nephew henry tift were instrumental in the development of south cental georgia before and after the civil war. nelson tift developed albany as a manufacturing center and a cotton market town. tift was a captain in the confederate navy during the civil war. after the civil war tift was elected to the u.s. house of representatives. tift county georgia is named after nelson tift. nelson tift's nephew henry tift founded the town of tifton georgia.