3500 Daniells Bridge Road, Athens, Georgia, 30606, United States
Orbitz.com Travelocity Booking.com

More about Athens

city barcity bar

athens welcome centerathens welcome center

BridgeBridge

"student free smoothies""student free smoothies"

misbehaving in athens

by squidchief

I will be spending a couple of weeks in Athens attending a class at the US Navy facility. I know nothing about Athens, have been in the war zone more often than not over the last couple of years so I'm probably a little short on "acceptable" at times but I am looking at going out in the evenings and having a good meal, cocktails and conversation.... preferably with members of the fairer sex... and maybe aven a night of karaoke. I would love to hear where to get some quality southern food preferably froma "mom and pop" type place. Some place with live weekend music that is fairly relaxed would be a bonus.
Thanks in advance

by squidchief

thanks. Doubt it could be much hotter or more humid...humidor""" than where I am now. Can you give me an idea of crossroads to aim for off the map?

by squidchief

I apologize for not being clear or specific. I am refering to Athens Ga as to where I will soon be heading. Your initial posting rang a bell as I am slightly familiar with Athens Greece... your second posting confirmed this. Again though , thank you for your response.

by johngayton

Forget about Plaka. Where you want to be is Agyon Anargyon which is a street of nothing but bars and restaurants just behind the Monastiraki Metro station. Loads of restaurants, music places and sexy girls!

I don't normally promote my own tips but here's my impression: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/9d51c/6833c/5/

by johngayton

Ah Athens GA!! No Idea then!

by cachaseiro

the wealthy suburb called glyfada has great nightlife too.
it´s located down by the ocean and the place has a huge nightlife scene.

by nhoolb

He is not talking about Greece!

He is talking about the USA (the state of Georgia).

mom and pop....

how should we know what's that?

So, better post it in the right forum!

by johngayton

It IS on the right forum - it's just that we all jump to the wrong conclusion! If you look at the top bar it says Home>Forums>North America>United States of Anerica>Georgia>Athens

Yep there's more than one Athens in the world!

by nhoolb

Ups....you're right!!

Mislead by the answers...

I stand corrected!

Noel

by johngayton

Maybe we should mention this to feedback. Perhaps the forum titles should also state the country and even the state. I've found myself replying to Portland posts thinking it was Portland, Maine when in fact it was Portland, Oregon.

by squidchief

Again to all though, whether it's Athens Ga..USA, or Athens Greece, I sincerely appreciate the thought that you all have given a couple seconds of your time to assist. Thanks again. I have found when visiting the south... er, south eastern US, that the best southern food is found in the "black" neighborhoods in individual owned and operated small joints. I'm hoping to get lucky and find such a place again.
Thanks

well well.
from what i hear georgia girls are almost as hot as greek girls anyway :O)

by johngayton

Hey and if you find the ideal place drop us a note on this forum - happy travels!

nothing beats them :O)

by hawkhead

Quite agree - I think the title should include the state or country. It is not immediately apparent where a place is. I often see Perth and MY immediate thought is Perth, Scotland whereas it is usually Perth, Australia.

Travel Tips for Athens

The Double Barrelled Cannon

by bulldoggirl

If you read my review about The Tree That Owns Itself, you know how my mother insisted on us going straight to this famous tree as soon as we arrived in Athens for the first time. After she got over the excitement of seeing the only tree in the world that actually owns itself, she wanted to go see the Double-Barreled Cannon next, which is located in front of City Hall downtown.

The famous Double -Barreled Cannon was cast at the Athens Steam Company in 1862. The Cannon is a double six-pounder, cast in one piece, with a three degree divergence from the parallel between the barrels. Each barrel has its own touch hole so it can be fired independent of the other and a common touch hole in the center is designed to fire both barrels simultaneously. The idea was to connect two cannon balls with a chain and mow the enemy down like a scythe cuts wheat. However, the cannon did not quite perform as expected – on the several occasions it was tested, a cow was killed, a chimney was demolished, and rumor has it several onlookers were killed a well. So while the cannon wasn’t too successful, it is still displayed proudly downtown – pointing north, just in case.

Like the tree, this attraction is definitely worth going to see for the sake of its interesting history.

This Founders’ Memorial Garden...

by Wiktoria

This Founders’ Memorial Garden on the University campus commemorates the founding in Athens of the first garden club in America.
The University of Georgia is 216 years old (2001)and is America's oldest state-chartered university. It was established on January 27, 1785. UGA has some excellent libraries with some 3.7 (3,7 for Europeans:-))) million volumes. Interestingly, the libraries store one of the nation's largest map collections. The UGA libraries are ranked 28th among the nation’s best 109 research libraries in ratings compiled by the Association of Research Libraries.

Comments