Courtyard by Marriott Atlanta Midtown

1132 Techwood Drive, Atlanta, Georgia, 30318, United States
Courtyard Atlanta Midtown/Georgia Tech
Travelocity Courtyard.com Priceline.com

More about Atlanta

Celebrating my birthday in Woodruff ParkCelebrating my birthday in Woodruff Park

All Children's PlaygroundAll Children's Playground

Whale SharksWhale Sharks

Description of the homesDescription of the homes

Tranportation Options / Parking

by gespaper

I'm coming into Atlanta on Sunday Night for a business meeting Monday Morning. I'm staying by the Airport. I have to be near Peach Tree Center (the Georgia Pacific Building) by about 7:45AM Monday. My business contact suggested I take the hotel shuttle back to the Airport Monday Morning, Catch the train from the airport to PTC - Which seems managable but may take some time. Alternatively, I have no issues with renting a car (saves on 2 shuttles back and forth to the airport plus train to/fr city since I leave after my meeting) and am good at navigating but I'm concerned about traffic getting in and parking (not so much concern about cost but simply finding some). Any local have any suggestions. If driving what time to leave (and suggestions on parking) and if train what time do I need to catch one?.

Thanks

by xymmot

I am not local, but I know about early morning traffic is terrible there besides the parking, so I would take the rail as sugguested. Rent a car after the meetings to go places.

by TexasDave

I would say the Marta train would be the better option. From the airport it's about 30 mins. to the Peachtree Center. The train you catch at the airport goes straight there, no changing necessary.
As far as driving, it can be different degrees of horrible during rush hour. Sometimes it's like a parking lot several miles long. Other times you just crawl along at a steady but slow speed. It could take up to 45 mins to get to the PTC. Parking is available, that in itself shouldn't be a problem.
So it's up to you

by rexvaughan

I agree that MARTA is your best option. Rush hour is indeed awful and if there is an accident on the freeway, you can sit for long periods. Here is a link to the schedules: http://www.itsmarta.com/holiday-schedule.aspx
As you will see, the trains leave the airport about every 15 minutes so if I were you I would leave the airport no later than the 6:42 to give yourself time to get from the station into your meeting. If you are interested in sights in the downtown area, the Aquarium, World of Coca-Cola, CNN Center, Centennial Olympic Park are all close to each other and about a 15 minute walk from P'tree Ctr. If you wanted to visit the MLK Center and the old Ebenezer Church or the Carter Center, it would be a cheap and short cab ride.

by gespaper

Thanks to all, I think the train is the best option. I may rent a car to avoid the shuttle back and forth from the hotel...If I have the car, are there any suburban train stations with parking that give me a bit more flexibility (park there but a bit more on my schedule)....Do those public parking spots near College Park fill up?

by eessuccess

Well, if you choose to rent a car, at that time of the morning just in case there is an accident on the freeway that will hold you up...leave at least an hour before time.

by gespaper

Thanks to all, I ending up renting a car to be safe but parked at a MARTA station in the AM and had no problems.....In fact, I was in town for a job interview and got the job so I'm moving to Atlanta this summer.....

by balfor

That is awesome to hear! (I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner..... I know the area you are talking about and could have pointed you to two different marta locations that I sometimes use, both with free parking.)

When you start looking for a place, drop me a line and I'll see if I can help you out with the different areas and suchlike. (I'm on here pretty regular but haven't been on the forums in ages so missed this posting. Just shoot me an email and I'll get it within a day or two. Well, going on vacation to meet other VT'ers in Poland at the end of the month so will be gone the last week of May and the first week of June.)

Travel Tips for Atlanta

Strange yet interesting sculptures

by littlesam1

If you read through my various VT pages you will see that I am fascinated by street art. I have collected pictures of strange and unusual street art from my travels in the US and throughout Europe. Atlanta has many examples of street art. This example pictured here is one of the more unusual. Its not exactly what I would call attractive, yet each time I have seen this sculpture it has caught my imagination and I have taken way too many pictures of it. It looks like some kind of alien plant root or something with green leaf life creations on its top and strange root like fingers below. It is located just behind the Peachtree Westin Plaze Hotel (thats the tall round hotel which dominates the Atlanta skyline) and just before you reach Centennial Olympic Park. The area is a little on the sketchy side being shadowed by the sky scrapers and having some street people asking for money in the area. But I am drawn to it each time I go to Atlanta. It always surprises me what catches my attention in various cities.

Southeastern Flower Show

by rexvaughan

Each year in Atlanta the SE Flower Show is held and always at a good time. When the winter blues and blahs are at their peak you can go and see lovely blooming things and the work of numerous landscapers. It is a lovely event ant the amount of landscape and hardscape materials brought into the hall is staggering. There are all kinds of blooming plants, full grown trees and shrubs, stone walkways, fences, garden sheds and of course fountains or ponds in almost every display. There are also lectures by experts, displays of plants and arrangements by individuals and lots of shops for all kinds of garden stuff and plants. It is held at the Georgia World Congress Center in downtown Atlanta. Admission is a bit steep at $18 per person.

We were particularly interested in the show in 2006 and 2007 as one of the up and coming landscapers in the area, Matt Klyn, is a friend of the family and has done the landscape at the front of our house. In 2006 his garden won Best in Show and this year he won 3 nice awards as well. He was a little disappointed not to win Best in Show again but was very gracious concerning the creativity and work that the winner had put into his entry. Matt's garden this year was inspired by a vacation in the Virgin Islands and featured a French Polynesian garden which you can see in some of the photos.

Centennial Olympic Park

by goingsolo

Centennial Olympic Park was created especially for the 1996 Olympics. The park is located in downtown Atlanta and has a huge fountain as its centerpiece. The fountain contains 25 water jets, which are pretty popular with kids.

The park is now used as a venue for outdoor concerts or for simply enjoying a nice weather day. During the holiday season, the park is decorated in lights which adorn the trees which line the walkways. Its a nice place to walk through on a December evening.

Atlanta Shopping Mall

by mookster about Lenox Square

If you are looking for shopping centre go to Lenox Square. The mall is quite large, I don't even think we got around to see all the stores. Phipps Plaza is also right across, but since Phipps is a little more high-end we didn't bother going. If you are just looking for your regular good ol' shopping mall experience go to Lenox Square.

Rental car

by Melly2418

Well...I rented a car and it was great. I love how laid back everyone is. I am from New York and there is so much hustle and bustle. I'm not a great driver but I fit in seemlessly. I'm afaid to drive in New York but Altanta is really a driving town. Lots of parking and very easy to read street signs.

Love it