1325 Virginia Avenue, Atlanta, Georgia, 30344, United States

More about Atlanta

Rodin and the HighRodin and the High

Downtown Atlanta at nightDowntown Atlanta at night

Piedmont ParkPiedmont Park

King Tut is in town-well his bodyKing Tut is in town-well his body

Salt Lake -> Atlanta -> Copenhagen @ Christmas

by phn

Howdy. :)

I'm flying home to Denmark from Utah this Christmas on Thursday the 20th, catching a connecting flight in Atlanta. The airline is the same, and the luggage will be checked through all the way. All the same, I only have an hour's layover - is that enough time to get from gate to gate? The terminal is the same - it's quite confusing because my itinerary says it's the Southern Terminal but according to what I read, the Atlanta terminals are labeled A-E? And I thought domestic/international flights were usually separated?

That question has been asked before, and I'm sure you're tired of answering it, but I'm wondering if it's really busy at Christmas-time and whether or not I can make it. As the last part of the question, can someone please explain to me how it works in Atlanta once I get off the plane from Salt Lake City... do I have to go through a huge security check again (is that the T-gate or main checkpoint), because I guess that's the only real thing hindering me from getting from gate to gate?

Thank y'all for taking the time to read this, I know this question is practically worthy of an FAQ, but it's vital that I make this flight, and I may have to re-book my flight..? Thanks again!

by nhoolb

Probably with Delta airlines.
Normally 1 hour is enough (US domestic-international) if there are no inbound delays.

The Northern and Southern Terminal is just a division in the Main Terminal, especially for pax beginning their journey in ATL.

You will arrive at one of the concourses, T, A-D. The international flight most probably will depart from concourse E. And normally no need to go through the security checkpoint again as you will not have been "re-united" with your luggage. You will not pass through any of the T-gate or main checkpoints.

Also check on:

by OiKnow

If you are flying from Salt Lake City into Altanta and out of Atlanta to Europe, you should not need to clear security. This is the same as changing planes on a domestic connection. An hour is doable, but tight. Near the middle of the concourse you will go down an escalator, then either walk to take the shuttle train to the concourse your departing flight is going out of and back up the escalators. The concourses are very long and do not having moving sidewalks, it can take 10 minutes to walk from the end to the escalators (one of the few things I don't like about Atlanta.)I would pay the change fee to have longer to change flights, to build a margin of error for my inbound flight being late and my outbound flight being on time. I have missed a few 45 minute connections in Atlanta (respondible for my 45 minutes in Germany . . . that is a very long story.)

David

by phn

Okay. So I've looked over my options, and changing the ticket would cost me over $300 which I can't afford (I'm a poor college-student). So I guess I'm just curious how I can prepare for getting through Atlanta. I'm willing to run (sprint) across the airport. I wonder what could make an hour "doable but tight"..? If I run, and I don't have to wait in line at security from domestic-to-international, then what could hold me up? Are there lines anywhere else, or is the airport just that big..? Is the train a hold-up? Please, I'm just really worried about this. I have to make that flight.

Travel Tips for Atlanta

High Museum
Fox Theatre
Stone Mountain
Virginia Highlands
Intown neighborboods Atlanta has a little bit of everything. If you need anything, chances are you can find it in Atlanta.

Restaurants in Atlanta usually serve sweetened ice tea, which is difficult for a Southerner to find outside the South.

The obvious tip

by acemj

Between May and September, it can be stifling hot and muggy in Atlanta, so dress appropriately. In the Spring of 2004, Atlanta was deemed the worst city for allergy sufferers, so if pollen kicks your butt every spring, bring some medication. Bring your camera! There are plenty of great buildings and sights to take in.

kennesaw

by doug48

the historic town of kennesaw is an interesting side trip when visiting the atlanta area. of interest to the tourist is kennesaw's museum of civil war locomotive history, the historic kennesaw depot, and near by kennesaw mountain national battlefield park. kennesaw once known as big shanty was the site of the hijacking of the confederate steam engine "the general" on april 12 th 1862. for those interested in civil war history kennesaw is well worth a visit in the atlanta area.
from downtown atlanta take I-75 north about twenty miles to exit 273. go west on cherokee street n.w. about two miles to kennesaw.

eating & drinking

by doug48 about the lodge

the lodge is a nice sports bar located in the heart of the buckhead entertainment district. they have a porch which is a nice place to drink and people watch. the lodge gets a little older crowd than most of it's more trendy neighbors. for the older visitor to buckhead it is a nice place to eat and drink. casual.

Don't do it it sucks

by Jaw72077

The rail system around atlanta Is horrible. The stations are about 5 miles apart so it is not convenent unless where you are going is close to the station and where you are coming from is close to the station.

Comments