Holiday Inn Atlanta Perimeter

Holiday Inn Perimeter/Dunwoody
HolidayInn.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Not safe = no Security at this hotel

Would not recommend this hotel to anyone ......

This is to inform you of our experience at the Holiday Inn Select in Dunwoody Georgia.
    My son got married in June in Dunwoody and we booked several rooms for family and friends, a suite and held the rehearsal dinner at your hotel. We arrived on Wednesday June 15, 2011 and stayed through Monday June 20, 2011.
    On Friday morning at 6:30am we were robbed in our room while we were sleeping. I woke up to find a man standing over my husband reaching for his watch on the night stand. I screamed and the man ran out of the room. We knew immediately that we had been robbed and called the desk. Hotel personnel came to the room within minutes. The police were called (they arrived at 6:40) and everything was reported – my credit card was used within minutes (6:44) at the Exxon station on the corner before we could get the card frozen.
    The reason I’m writing this letter is to tell you that this hotel has some SERIOUS SECURITY
    PROBLEMS!! And this reflects poorly on the Holiday Inn Corporation overall. I really should say there is NO SECURITY at this hotel. Below is a list of things that we observed.
    • The front entrance has no security camera or personnel watching the door – day or night as you cannot see the front door from the check in desk.
    • People are coming in to put menus from restaurants under the guest doors any time day or night.
    • When guest rooms where being cleaned doors were left WIDE OPEN with guest suitcases and bags in full sight. Not just the room being cleaned – but rooms that were cleaned and waiting to be cleaned. At one point the maid staff had about a third of the room doors open in the hallway we were staying in.
    • The day we were robbed was the only day we received a USA Today paper – the Security Manager told my husband that he delivered it – but that was the only day we got one - and none of the other guests in our party or down our hallway ever got one.
    • After the robbery we noticed that there was an extra key in our room. As both my husband and I had our keys. Before we were able to give the key to the police, the security manager took the key and erased it. We watched him do this. We also alerted the police to this fact.
    • After the robbery whenever we left the suite we locked the dead bolt to the door of the adjoining suite room. Every time we returned the dead bolt on the suite door was unlocked and the door open. It was not the maid, because the trash was never taken out of the suite and new towels were never left on the vanity. This means that staff members are entering guest rooms for no apparent reason, a major security and privacy risk.
    • One of the family members had major problems with their room cards. On Thursday night they left our room at 12:40am and their cards would not work so they went to the front desk to get new cards and waited for 15 minutes for someone to come out to get them new cards. While they waited they called out several times, walked into the office area and watched 5 people just walk into the hotel through the front entrance. They went through 9 sets of key cards in 4 days.
    • On Saturday night at 3am, a woman ran screaming through the hallways of the hotel, we do not know what caused this incident but once again the police were at the hotel investigating.
    • The groom was in the hotel for 30 minutes and refused to spend his wedding night in the hotel. A family member booked and paid for a room at the Hilton for the wedding couple because they did not want to stay after what had happened and seeing what was going on in the hotel.
    • After speaking with several staff members, many indicated that the police are routinely at this hotel, and there are several staff members that are suspicious of their fellow co-workers. They also raised concerns that the hotel management has a very lax attitude toward the safety and security of both guests and staff given the high number of incidents at this hotel.
    After the robbery Hotel Management told us that nothing like this had ever happened in this hotel. But we got a very different story from the Pastor who married our son. When my son told him about it the Pastor came right over to my Husband and I and told us that was outright false. He told us of a church member who had come back to Atlanta for her 100th birthday celebration that was robbed at the very same hotel and in the very same manner. I understand they did not want us to feel there were problems at the hotel – but believe me it is very obvious!
    The renovations that have been done on the hotel are beautiful. The rooms are very nice and new. The restaurant was very nice, the restaurant service is exceptional and food was excellent. The meal and service for the rehearsal dinner was also excellent.
    The hotel did not charge us for our rooms – we paid for the rehearsal dinner – that is nothing compared to our loss of what was stolen. Along with having this happen on our family’s special occasion of our son’s wedding.
    We cannot change what happened to us, we will never get back what we lost in the robbery and our insurance will only cover a very small portion of our loss - then we have to deal with the terrible feeling of intrusion that is lingering from being robbed in our room while sleeping. Our hope is that the Holiday Inn Corporation will investigate this incident and fix the problems with security and management so no one else will encounter this kind of traumatic experience at this hotel.

Unique Quality: Restrauant food and staff are exceptional.
    Everything else rates below a 2.

More about Atlanta

Board in the Middle of the FloorBoard in the Middle of the Floor

First Room on the TourFirst Room on the Tour

vinings innvinings inn

Map with the mountain at the east sideMap with the mountain at the east side

Moving to Atlanta....., Maybe.

by Citizen65

I am considering moving to Atlanta. I need an affordable apartment in a safe and quiet area to rent, any suggesstions? What areas should I stay away from? In other words what are the bad sections of Atlanta that I shouls stay clear of?

Re: Moving to Atlanta....., Maybe.

by wildBill6699

midtown is expensive but really nice and close to Buckhead clubs. Anything south of midtown is a no-no. DeKalb is a no-no. Gwinnett and Cobb and all points north are fine, commute might be long. If you are single and can afford it - try midtown or buckhead, understanding that alternative lifestyles are common but they will not bother you. More conservative - try Gwinnett, Cobb, North Fulton or any point north. Again, avoid anything south of midtown. Email if more questions. Some older houses could have maintenance issues unless refurnished in the last 5-10 years. I live in Hall county but lived in Fulton, DeKalb, and Cobb.

Travel Tips for Atlanta

Not a Tourist Destination

by EGeorgeR

I have been to Atlanta many times on business and to visit family, but I do not consider it a tourist destination. It is clean, safe and easy to navigate the downtown, but is not New York, Chicago or San Francisco.

Where is the famed 'Southern Hospitality'?

by lorenauk

I moved to the Greater Atlanta area seven months ago from Texas. I am a very proud Texan so it was hard for me to leave my state and live in a new one. However, I was pleased that Atlanta was where I was headed because I heard nothing but positive remarks from people about the famed "southern hospitality".

Due to my work (independent field sales), I have been to all different parts of Atlanta and met with all walks of life. I have determined that there are different levels of "rude" in this city. My experience has led me to assess that there is very little "heart" to Atlanta which has severely disappointed me. I will either grow to accept that Atlanta is just another big city or continue to search for kindness, acceptance, and "southern hospitality".

I have lived in big cities such as Houston, Texas, London and Manchester, England and very small towns--Buda, Texas but I have always felt that in each place there was something outstanding and unique about them. Atlanta has left me cold, I am afraid.

I will continue to search this site for tips to restore my faith. However, it is unlikely that I will continue to live in Atlanta when my contract is up. Atlanta is a big city with many attractions. It may be right for others but it just wasn't right for me.

BTW, the Varsity has serious hype and doesn't fulfill it. I am very sorry about it too.

A market in Atlanta!

by rexvaughan

Nothing like the market days in European cities, but a start can be seen on Saturdays in Morningside. It has just started this year and offers organically grown fruits and vegetables, flowers as well as some meats. They are open only on Saturday mornings 8:00-11:30 and you need to go early before they sell out of things. Apart from the merchandise, one of the neat things about the place is that it is individual farmers selling what they have grown. It is also heartening to see a least some steps toward organic farming.

It is at 1393 North Highland, just about a mile north of Ponce de Leon Ave. Just across the street from Alon's.

2nd Weekend Antique Market

by dustmon about Scott Antique Market

This is a huge antique/everything else market at the outskirts of I285 in south Atlanta that they have every 2nd weekend of every month, friday to sunday. Any and everything antiques is sold here as well as crafts, food and drink of all kinds, furniture, jewelry, and lots to discover. There is usually a discount coupon in the Atlanta newspaper the weekend before the show.
285 east to exit 55, Jonesboro Road at Atlanta Expo Centers
The next one is September 10,11,12-- 2010 antiques average

Crazy NIGHTLIFE fun!

by DrewV

There are three areas of crazy nightlife fun in Atlanta: Buckhead, Virginia-Highlands, and Crescent Avenue. There aren't any particularly special places in these districts, roam around and find somewhere you like, or do a bar crawl. That's what Atlanta's for.
Buckhead: crazily drunk frat boys, crazily drunk women, all looking for some action. Be prepared to pay a bit of a cover.

Virginia-Highlands: locals only in this posh trip, as parking is practically non-existent. Casual atmosphere with live music.

Crescent Ave.: cosmopolitan, urban clubs with an upscale feel. Covers are high, but then so is the quality. Buckhead: Khakis for men. Black polyester pants and tank tops for women. If you wear something different, you will stand out (which can be good or bad depending on your perspective).

Virginia-Highlands: jeans are acceptable for everyone. Think casual.

Crescent Ave.: posh. Black is de rigeur, although I have lately started to see some Buckhead-esque khakiness making its way down Peachtree. This is not good. Bring Black Back!

Comments