Hyatt Regency Atlanta

Tags

Business Travel
See Amenities

Nightmare at the Con``

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 23, 2014

My son and I attended a Con at the Mart in Atlanta. We made our reservations months in advance. I had seen unfavorable reviews, but unfortunately this was the only hotel within walking distance of the Mart that had all three consecutive nights available. In fact, we got the very last room that was available all three nights. The Con is my son's birthday present and we make a lot of sacrifices to attend. I called monthly after the reservation to double check on my reservation and to be sure there were no rate increases. On Thursday, the day before we were to go, I called and (with my confirmation email in hand) asked what this total all inclusive. What were the valet charges, how much was the tax, what other charges would I incur. I was doing this so that my husband could transfer enough money into my account so we would have enough to enjoy the weekend, wiithout transferring more than we needed. I had him transfer what we thought would be sufficient with a little emergency money left over. When I arrived, I was not given any kind of receipt. I went to the room and checked my bank balance. I had $150 missing from what I knew should be in my account. I went to the desk and asked how much they charged my account. They told me the amount of the room plus tax. I said, well since I checked in, $150 has been taken out of my account. [We use a small local credit union, so my debit card doesn't have an 800# or an after hours number to call---its only available Mon-Fri 8-5:30]. He said. oh, well, there is a $50 a night security deposit that we put a hold on your account. I said well, someone took $150. Well, he says, it's $50 a night, not $150. I said, that equals $150! He finally agreed, yes thatt is $150. So, I said, that is not acceptable. I told him we would not be able to eat all weekend if they kept my money. He said he could call my bank and reverse the charges. I said, my bank is closed. So, manager (asst) comes in and after I am almost in tears over my missing $150, he agrees to just refund the security deposit and give me the $150 cash. So, I am happy. Well, on Sunday morning, I again checked my balance and I had $250 still there, that I had saved to pay for us to eat off of Sun and Mon, and to buy our souvenirs. I used my last pocket cash for a picture and autograph. Then, went to ATM to get money for lunch and had $22 in my account. I freaked out because the only time my card had been out of my pocket was at the hotel desk and I was frantic wondering how someone had accessed my account. We left the con, went to hotel and asked had they charged my account $250. I was assured they had not. However, the young man who helped me had a look on his face that made me wonder. I told him that someone had taken money out of my account in the last 4 hours and the only place my card had been taken out was at his desk. He assured me it was not them. So, we had two drinks and two bags of chips and a pack of crackers (totally $14) all day to eat. I laid awake all night long worrying about how someone had hacked my account and what we would do to get home....and eat on Monday. I now had $6 in my account and no cash. If my husband transferred more money into my acct, would someone get it, too, before I could get it? I never went to sleep. At 8am I called my bank and was told that Hyatt Regency had help $250 on my account, as well as the charge for the hotel bill! I went to the lobby and asked for the manager. He said, yep, they had, after looking at my account. His excuse was that it was not a hotel/corporate charge, it was an employee error. I told him that the young man the day before had denied that the charge had been made. I had been lied to. He called my bank to reverse the charges, but my bank does not do that. Once it is in pending, they cannot reverse it. So, they deducted one night from my bill and one day valet parking. To appease me. I will NEVER stay at this hotel again, if it means sleeping in a bus station. I will NEVER recommend this hotel ever. Their appeasement did not change the fact that my son and I missed 3 meals. It did not change the fact that the last day of our con, which we had to pay for each day at the con, was ruined because we couldnt eat nor buy anything. My son had waited until the last day to buy his souvenirs so he would be sure he had seen everything. Then, when it came time to buy, the hotel had taken our money. So, as well as not food for 3 meals, the hotel robbed us of being able to buy souvenirs. Added to the fact that I was physically ill and unable to sleep (when I had a 5 hr drive home ahead of me) which could have been avoided had the young man been honest with me on Sunday when I asked if they had taken my money. Instead he lied to me causing me intense grief worrying that my bank account had been hacked. Such a wonderful birthday my son had almost had. I plan to post this experience on the Con's facebook page because I would like to know if others experienced the same thing. The Con should also know that the money that the hotel "used without authorization" was money that would have been (and was supposed to have been) spent at the Con. As a result, the Hyatt Regency not only robbed me of money (yes, it was replaced later), food, sleep, and peace of mind, but it also robbed the Con and it's vendors of $250 worth of sales. This was October 17-20, 2014

TexasDave's Profile Photo

Good Downtown Choice

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 23, 2009

This is a large, convention-oriented hotel, located on the Northern limits of downtown. It has three different towers, each with its own set of elevators, which cuts down on traffic going up or down. I stayed in the International Tower and had a very spacious corner room except for the bathroom, which was quite cramped.

kbl's Profile Photo

Hyatt Regency

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 24, 2002

Stayed in the hotel when visiting a conference. Very comfoirtable and spacious rooms. The bartender's service was excellent!

Unique Quality: Next to the restaurants and shops. 2 blocks away from the parc and 3 blocks away from the convention centre.

Nearby Hyatt Regency Atlanta

• Suites
  • Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge

Atlanta Travel Forum

Need advice about Atlanta, Georgia? Visit the Travel Forum for Atlanta and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Atlanta hotel reviews

Unique, Huge, Amazing Fast Food Restaurant
Oakland Cemetery
Grant Central Pizza
Restaurants
Great Time. Terrible Service.
Things to Do
Watch lasers dance on a really big rock
Good lunches and Sweets