Renaissance Atlanta Downtown

Rated 27% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• Thieves in the Lobby

1--purse stolen while waiting in the lobby
    2--security is lax, cameras do NOT cover all lobby areas
    3--I suspect inside job since purse was next to me in the sofa in the interior lobby, stolen while I had my back turned for a few seconds
    4-- hotel staff very helpful. Good place to stay, except for this terrible incident which happened while waiting in lobby for a taxi to airport
    5--a high end hotel such as this one would higher level of security and monitoring
    6--Will NOT be staying at this hotel again

• WARNING

WARNING!!! Do not stay in this hotel. Several rooms on my floor were burglarized. Items stolen, including entire suitcases, personal items, personal information (photos, business cards) and a laptop computer, case, etc. Locks in rooms tampered with, management staff and security staff unresponsive. At least 3 rooms on my floor reported theft during my stay of 4 nights. Seemed like a coordinated theft effort, and management staff was not responsive at all. Be warned. I did not feel safe my entire last night and had to request to change floors.

• Sunshine64's Profile Photo

Good Service

The best thing about my stay at the Renaissance was the service at the front desk, concierge, and in the concierge's lounge.

Even though I was on the concierge level, the bedding was not very nice - not particularly comfortable bed, sheets were cheap, and pillows were lumpy.

Do NOT eat dinner in the restaurant. The bread was good and the peach / rhubarb cobbler was good, but everything inbetween was totally unremarkable - borderline bad.

Directions: Just south of Midtown

More about Renaissance Atlanta Downtown

Not up to Renaissance standards

by TripAdvisor Member nysteel

I stayed at The Renaissance one night for a business trip...what a disappointment. Being a Marriott rewards platimum member, I have stayed at all types of Marriott brands. This property is not even up to Fairfield Inn standards. The rooms are old and dated and the furnishings are sparse. My first room faced the highway. When I walked in the room it sounded like someone left the widows open, but instead found the glass doors to the "balcony" where off track and and could not be repaired. I was moved to the room next door and it was not much better. The front desk told me this was the best they could do. The showers were not clean and the air conditioning units in both rooms were rusted - inside the room!!! For what they charge, this should be a four star hotel, but certainly is not. There are much better properties in Atlanta at much less money - find them...DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!

Beware

by TripAdvisor Member BrooklynSmooth1

My warning is beware of the hotel's valet parking service, I had my CD case with over 100 CD's stolen, and my vehicle was vandalized due to an attempted break in. and on that Sunday when I was checking out 5 other vehicles were found to be vandalized. And the hotel will do nothing about it.

Great experience

by TripAdvisor Member sammamishtraveler

Wondeful clean hotel. Excellent staff - very helpful, informative, and eager to help. Restaurants and staff were superb. Location was great -easy access to everything downtown. I would definitely stay here again!

Very Noisy!!!

by TripAdvisor Member SINFULSTARS

The hotel sits virtually on top of the freeway and behind it is the hospital, so between the sirens and the noise of a Very Busy freeway, it was very difficult to relax.

I was here on business, so after a long day, I wanted and needed some peace and quiet, this was unobtainable here.

The accomodations were ok -

In a nutshell, they put a hotel, where a hotel shouldn't be.

Only stay here if there is no where else to stay

by TripAdvisor Member CarolWashingtonDC

I got booked into this hotel because of my NCAA Final Four package. I would never stay there again and I do not recommend that anyone stays there either. It is in a terrible location - you should not walk in that part of town after the sun goes down. From my room I looked down at peope hanging out all night long on the streets - just walking around. The noise from the highway was one thing but cars with boom boxes on the street at all hours was something else. I travel a lot and this is the first time the following has happened. There was no safe in the room. I never spend change so I dump it in a glass everyday. One day I come in and the glass and change are gone (about $15). Of course this does not give me a good feeling about my computer or network card or anything else..... All were there but I still reported it to the office. When I returned a few hours later both the glass and the money reappeared! There has to be better places to stay!

Best consierge and great pool

by TripAdvisor Member Knox_girl

My husband and I stayed 2 nights in one room with 2 double beds with our 12 year old daughter and a friend of hers. Brave, I know.
Our experience with this hotel, it's accomodations, ammenities and staff was better than expected and definitely better than most reviews made it out to be. We were not traveling on business but were there for a baseball game.

Relatively close proximity to Turner field, MARTA across the street and the online picture of the outdoor pool were deciding factors when booking. We thought the pool and decking was better than most hotel pools. Other negative reviews about the pool were written more than 2 years ago so maybe they have updated since then. It was freshly painted and clean. Pool towels were available and I saw staff members come in 3 times: One was the consierge to direct the Pizza guy to a guest who had called out for pizza. One was a staff member who gathered towels and straightened deck chairs (which were plentiful) and another to check pool chemical levels. Note that if you care about full sun exposure, the pool is in full shade from around 3:00 to 5:30 pm. It was a little crowded on Saturday afternoon but we had it all to ourselves on Sunday.

Service was outstanding. Nothing but smiles and 'what do you need?' Trevor, the head consierge, was outstanding and made outside restaurant reservations, travel suggestions and directions and even helped me plan my husband's B-day surprise; an in -room massage from Flo, the hotel masseuse.

Read bad reviews about the parking situation. We just paid $20 per day for valet parking so had no problems.

We didn't need internet access so can't answer to bad reviews on that. The room WAS noisy overnight with sirens going off often but I never felt unsafe. Room keys required for pool area and elevators (after 9).

There wasn't an in room fridge but our room, bathroom and bedding was very up to date and clean-not worn out like other reviews I read. Comfy mattress and pillows.

Lobby was very, very nice and I did enjoy the lobby bar.

Now for the editorial. My husband and I, while far from well off, have both been in the service industry for years and enjoy great service. I sometimes wonder how we seem to always get great service most places we go without looking wealthy. (Lord knows my 2000 scarred up Ford Contour didn't impress the valet) but I truly feel that smiling on your way in the door, greeting people by name when they are wearing name tags and tipping accordingly increases your chances of being treated like royalty.

We would stay here again

Comments