Renaissance Waverly Hotel

2450 Galleria Pkwy, Atlanta, Georgia, 30339, United States
Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel & Convention Center
Booking.com Renaissance Hotels Expedia.com

More about Atlanta

The Hawk bird icon for fansThe Hawk bird icon for fans

The Tasting RoomThe Tasting Room

site of paces ferrysite of paces ferry

Broochure of events going on nowBroochure of events going on now

I-285 vs I-85 through downtown?

by nzjqgw

I am flying into the airport Monday 8:00am and need to head north on I-85 to Anderson SC. Should I take I-85 through downtown or take the I-285 bypass?

by mccalpin

Although it's been a few years since I was in Atlanta, in just refreshing myself by looking at the map, I'd think that the 285 loop would make more sense, if for no other reason than that it's not all that much farther to the I-85 exit near Embry Hills (i.e., where 85 crosses the loop) via I-285, than it would be through town on I-85 all the way.

Of course, people who live and drive there daily might have a different opinion ;-)

Bill

by bocmaxima

Whenever I drove through Atlanta, I always took I-85 through town. The Perimeter/285 is well known for horrendous traffic, and I found that out the one time I took it.
I would also check the construction activity before you go, because there may be lane closures or some other issue that would influence your route decision.
By the time you get out of the airport though, it should be pretty close to 9am, so traffic will have likely died down.

by TexasDave

I agree that by 8:45- 9:00 the worst of rush hour traffic will be over, but the 75/85 Connector will probably still be slow, on the other hand 285 will take quite a few more miles and is itself prone to backups. I think would initially plan on taking 85 N. from the airport. If you have mobile internet access you could check with:

www.georgia-navigator.com

For up-to-the-minute traffic conditions. You can also call 511 toll free and ask about it, then make your decision.

by dustmon

I live in the Atlanta area and recommend going thru on 85----most of rush hour should be gone by 9ish when you will be going thru the middle----I used to live in the area and miss the Jockey lot in Anderson on some weekends....

by mccalpin

It's good to have local replies...but I will note this: the distance from Mountain View (i.e., approximately where the airport is) to Embry Hills (about where I-85 and I-285 intersect on the northeast side of town) is either:
1. 23 and a half miles if you take I-285 the whole way, or
2. 23 miles if you take I-85 through the center of town.

That is, because of where the airport is and where I-285 hits I-85 coming out the northeast side of town, the driving distances are virtually identical whether you go through town or around on the loop - look for yourselves.

So, to me, the major questions are (1) left over inbound rush hour traffic into town, and (2) construction on either route, as posters noted above...the distance just isn't a factor...

Bill

Travel Tips for Atlanta

Courtesy Conductors

by Yaqui

The owners of the Underground Atlanta is trying to revamp the security efforts. Instead of calling them security guards they call them Courtesy Conductors. I thought that was cute. Their station is a working display for educational use when they have guided tours of school children.

50 Upper Alabama Street, Atlanta GA 30303
404-523-2311
Underground Atlanta
Exit onto Marietta St/Decatur St SE & Pryor Road exit from I-85

Bad Neighborhoods

by ATXtraveler

A common concern expressed by several VT members and verified by my time walking around in certain areas needs to be addressed. There are some VERY bad neighborhoods in Atlanta. Do NOT walk alone, walk with expensive clothing or photography equipment, or any amount of money you would not be willing to lose.

If you do get into a situation like this, call a cab immediately.

There is not a distinct map that I can provide that outlines the bad neighborhoods, but it is a safe bet to not travel very far in Atlanta alone.

Buford Highway

by greatconde

If you are looking for authentic ethnic cuisine, from Nicaraguan to Laotian, check out a stretch of Buford Highway, north of Clairmont Rd. Many of the restaurants on this stretch don't even have english menus, but be brave and try something new.

Under the Ground

by grandmaR about Underground Atlanta

There's a whole underground shopping center in Atlanta.

I did shop some and bought something with an iris on it as a gift for my mom, but I was uncomfortable there as it didn't feel quite safe, and I was glad it was during the day. Some of the gift shops are:

Gifts 2 Leather

Summer Hours
(Memorial Day to Labor Day):
Monday through Saturday:
10:00 am - 9:30 pm
Sunday: 11:00 am - 7:00 pm The website says: "Welcome to History Underground Atlanta

"Underground Atlanta is a great place to begin if you want to experience Downtown Atlanta’s attractions and events. Located in the heart of the city, Underground offers a wide variety of shops, restaurants and activities for everyone to enjoy. We have recently opened several new stores and eateries with great success and are always adding more! Don’t forget about our vendors that line the cobblestone streets with face painting, magic tricks, fortune telling, toys, food, accessories, and much more. To find out more about the ongoing events and entertainment at Underground, check out our events calendar or contact us by e-mail. We are happy to answer questions and to help make your visit to Underground Atlanta a pleasant one. Kids will love the fun activities and you'll love the convenient parking, unique shops and restaurants that make Underground the best place to connect to Atlanta"

Visit Buckhead! It has many...

by JrSkymonkey

Visit Buckhead! It has many many bars of all types under the sun. It's a really fun place if you can find a place to park!
Every kind of bar imaginable. Home of the infamous Rob Lowe video and countless court cases involving sports figures! If celebrities can get in trouble here you know the common man can have some fun. Usually your somewhat dressy club clothes are the norm. I'm sure that tank tops and flip flops are discouraged.

Comments