1900 Sullivan Road, Atlanta, Georgia, 30337, United States

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 27% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Sheraton Gateway Hotel Atlanta Airport

I stayed here the evening before a 6 a.m. flight out of Hartsfield. Like all the hotels in the airport cluster, it is only a couple of miles away from Atlanta's notorious airport and has a free shuttle to and from Hartsfield.

The Sheraton is a moderately priced hotel and is a more reasonably priced option to the Westin, Marriott and Hilton. Its biggest draw is that its close to the airport and there isn't much in the way of amenities other than that free shuttle. There is a small gym with a bunch of outdated machines and an indoor pool. The restaurant is decent but, like all airport hotels, a bit overpriced. There are a couple of options just across the street though, which would make for a better meal.

Other than that, its a standard Sheraton where everything is predictable but comfortable. Its a no surprises and few frills place to stay, but one of the cheaper options among the airport hotels.

More about Sheraton Gateway Hotel Atlanta Airport

Paper Thin Walls Giveway to Zero Sleep

by TripAdvisor Member World_Hiker_Dallas

We stayed last night at the Sheraton Gateway, Atlanta airport. Our early general happiness with the cleanliness and new carpet/furnishings quickly gaveway to the noise problems. We easily heard the tv set next door and conversation. At about 4 a.m. we were awoken by a profanity rideen tirade by our next door neighbors (which explains why they have a full time security guard). About 6 a.m. doors began slamming and the hispanic housekeeping staff began its loud hallway conversations at 8 a.m. All in all, we got no sleep.

The wireless internet service is $9.95, which we consider a gouge.

All the other amenities are standard including airport shuttle service every 20 minutes, a narrow but decent shower, nice towels, ok bed.

Overall, we would not stay here again.

exactly what you would expect!

by TripAdvisor Member suze_shoes

Stayed here this month and liked everything except the food, which was average to below average. i struggled with several bags (no porter/bellstaff forthcoming!) but managed to get up to my room and enjoyed a clean, well maintained room with privacy and quiet. the club level lounge was a nice touch if you can get it.

Nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member venus0315

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in December for a business trip. I have stayed at this hotel before and found it very nice. It's convenient to the airport, rooms are clean and a good size. I stayed on the club level. Hotel staff is always curteous and friendly.

somewhere in the middle

by TripAdvisor Member Frank_in_Nova

Overall I found this hotel to be a good place to stay near the airport but it did have a few shortcomings:
- furniture was worn and dated
- bathroom was small and dark
- cost $10 to use the internet (even Hojo has free wi-fi)
- breakfast buffet was $15

On the plus side the price was reasonable ($123), the room was huge and even included a dining room table and a couch, and the location was excellent. All things considered I'd stay here again.

Dreadful food, lousy room - poor value

The restaurant is a joke. Rooms are tired with cramped bathroom having chipped tiles and poor shower. Really lousy Sheraton Hotel - not worth the money. The food at the diner across the road was good value - Ruby Tuesday. Also got ripped off by taxi drievrs outside hotel. Avoid like the plague.

A solid hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Crystal_Marie

After my flight back to Boston was cancelled due to the blizzard, my airline put me up at a crappy 2 star hotel near the airport. After a night spent battling bed bugs and non-existent room service (I was on hold for a half an hour), I fled to the Sheraton Gateway. The room was inexorbiantly expensive - $200 a night, plus $10 a day for internet access and extremely overpriced food in the restaurant. For $50 more, I could have stayed at the Ritz downtown. But if you want a hotel near the airport with solid ammenities and fantastic service, the Sheraton is for you. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. My room was spacious and the bed was extremely comfortable. This isn't a five star hotel, obviously, so there are some shortcomings.. the furniture in the lobby and throughout generally isn't brand new.. the restaurant has a "Sizzler" feel to it.. but the food was delicious.. I had filet mignon and the merlot was acceptable. My room was clean, for the most part.. the toilet actualy had a lil dried up spot of urine on it (disgusting, yes).. but I was so desperate for a room without insects that I didn't protest too much. I had a nice view of planes taking off.. overall, I was very pleased. The workout area was good and suited my needs. The chef at the restaurant made me breakfast even after they had stopped serving it.. and when I asked for a bathrobe, they brought me two. I'd stay here again if I needed to remain near the airport, but otherwise, I think I'll just go to the ritz next time I'm in Atlanta.

Potential to be better!

by TripAdvisor Member BeingGreen

I stayed here for a single night recently. I had spent several days at this hotel for a business meeting a year or so ago and did not recall any problems on that trip so when I needed a place in the area and I found a $99/nt. offer I decided to try them again.

I stayed on the 8th floor in a room looking out over the pool in the back of the hotel (opposite from parking lot). My room had been on this side of the hotel on my previous stay and I recalled it as being quiet. It is near the airport with a free shuttle and free parking which are appreciated and there is virtually no airport noise.

I had requested a quiet room this time as well as on my initial stay, but this time I had to deal with noise from inside the hotel. There was a lot of plumbing noise--I could hear water running almost all night it seemed and when people in adjacent rooms had phone conversations I could hear them. If I had remembered ear plugs I definitely would have worn them.

When I arrived I had difficulty finding parking and there was a crowd of people in the lobby. I am guessing that there may have been more guests in the hotel on this visit and that before I "lucked" out with empty rooms on either side. I doubt the soundproofing could go downhill this much! This time the noise between rooms was such that it interrupted my sleep. I normally don't go to sleep until after 11 p.m. and this time it was almost midnight when the movie i was watching ended but the noise from the rooms continued throughout the wee hours of the morning.

The pillows also were rather uncomfortable, but after several tries I managed to find one I could tolerate, The bed was okay--not the best or the worst and the temperature in the room was a bit hard to control. The temperature outside had dropped and the hallways had that "just turned on the furnace smell" of the first usage of winter, but in my room I was up and down several times trying to regulate the room temperature during the night--it wasn't the smell that was worrisome it was the temperature....

Water pressure and amenities in the bathroom were fine. Nothing special. There are pay-per-view movies and premium cable and a restaurant on the premises.

The staff was friendly and eager to answer questions and provide directions and recommendations for area restaurants, etc. They all seemed to genuinely enjoy their jobs or at least they made me as a guest feel that way. There is a Ruby Tuesday's within walking disatnce from the hotel.

The lobby is pleasant and spacious. The rooms could use some attention as they are looking a bit tired. The wallpaper in my room was peeling from the wall under the windows, and there were what appeared to be water stains on part of the ceiling. No matter what I tried I could not get the drapes to completely close and as luck would have it the gap was even with my face on the pillow so the morning sun came in the window.

Inside the book where the menus and other information are found was the receipt for the previous guest. There was little private information on the paper, but it was obviously overlooked by the cleaning staff., which did not make one feel too great.

I had room service for dinner and for breakfast. I remembered having a pepper-crusted tuna steak on my last visit, but the menu had changed and it was no longer listed. The prices seemed higher than those in other hotels of this caliber I have stayed in at the Atlanta Airport and also more limited.

I opted for the ribeye, which was $37. It came just as I requested and was very good. The vegetables and the nine dollar bruschetta appetizer I ordered were delicious. The lemoncello dessert was a little dry, but the order was delivered promptly and everything was as I requested.

I did not have the same experience the next morning. The woman who took my order seemed unfamiliar with the menu and put me on hold. She repeated my order back to me correctly, but when the meal finally arrived (more than ten minutes later than they told me it would) the bacon I ordered was missing and there was a small pot of coffee instead of the large pot I had requested. I did not notice the absence of the bacon until the server had left so I called and asked that it be removed from my bill.

At check-out the clerk asked if I had any problems and I told her of the noise and the problem with breakfast. She apologized for my fitful night of sleep and told me that the incorrect charge had not been removed. I asked that it be taken off the bill which she readily agreed to do. Only later after leaving the property and examining the bill closer did I realize that the entire breakfast had not been charged to my bill. I plan to watch the credit card bill to make sure that it is billed accurately and I am not sure if she removed the charge because of my problem or if the breakfast had not yet been posted as she did give me a credit for the price of the undelivered bacon.

All in all, I will probably wait awhile before I go back here based on my experience. The visit was not so bad that I would consider not returning in the future if I needed a room in this area and found a reasonable rate, but I will remember to pack earplugs.

Not very impressed with this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member KrisWorkTravel

I stayed at the Sheraton Gateway airport hotel for one night recently for business in Atlanta. I always stay at Starwood properties and usually love them, but wasn't happy with this particular location. Upon arrival, the hotel and lobby area seemed to heavily perfumed with either a deodorizer or something floral. My room also had the same strong floral scent. I'm not typically sensitive to smells, but I did find this to be very unpleasant. The porcelain in my bathroom sink was cracked with peeling paint - something one would see in smaller budget hotel chains. Decor was nice, but my chair had a big rip in arm with stuffing coming out. I called the front desk for a wake up call and no one answered - tried a few times. And - like other travelers have mentioned, the noise issue prevented me from sleeping well (that's often unavoidable at airport hotels) In sum, love Starwood/Sheraton, but not this particular hotel. If you have a sensitive nose - don't bother!

Not again!

by TripAdvisor Member atexasfan

I booked this hotel for a quick one night stay on my drive to Texas in December. I'm a Starwood hotels Gold member, and as such, I get a few additional ammenities so I always try to stay with a Starwood hotel. Usually, I'm totally impressed with Starwood hotels, but not in this case. This hotel was a glorified Motel 6.

Two things that are good about the hotel - it is near the highway with easy access for a traveler and the bed is really comfortable.

On to the negative - what other reviewers have said is true, the rooms have NO noise barrier. I heard EVERYTHING my neighbor was doing and also heard everyone walking down the hall. The room was spacious, but when I looked out the window, I noticed that the air vent area was HORRIBLE with tons of dust. It was so bad that it appeared to have stained the curtains right at the airflow area. I was so tired, I guess I just didn't care. But as predicted, I woke up with sinus problems. I also agree with the one reviewer who mentioned the 9.95 internet fee. I expect that price from superb hotels where you pay for everything. But this hotel is no where near Starwood's typical quality and it should at minimum offer a cheap internet connection.

If you're considering staying here, think twice!

Comments