W Atlanta Midtown

188 14th Street at Peachtree, (formerly Sheraton Midtown), Atlanta, Georgia, 30361, United States

Booking.com Expedia.com WHotels.com

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Sheraton Midtown Colony Square

This hotel is in a great location and is a more reasonable alternative to the high prices of Buckhead and the congestion of downtown.

As its name suggests, the Midtown hotel is located between downtown and the perimeter of the city. The area doesn't have the high end malls of Buckhead , but its a pleasant part of the city, and close to everything.

The hotel is within walking distance of shops restaurants (including one of the Flying Biscuit locations), Piedmont Park, the botanical gardens and nightlife. There is a MARTA station located about 2 blocks from the hotel as well.

Since Midtown is not one of the most sought after locations, the hotel frequently runs specials. Its a bit of a drive from Buckhead (about 10 miles), a good 10-15 minutes from downtown and about 30 minutes from the airport, but there's enough in the area to keep you occupied.

Unique Quality: None really. Its a standard well-run Sheraton hotel.

Directions: From hwy 85, take the 10th/14th Street exit and the hotel is a couple of blocks ahead on the right.

• tatyanap's Profile Photo

Perfect Location! Very nice hotel!

Perfect location -- only a short walk to the MARTA station, three stations away from the Underground Atlanta.

Beautiful interior decoration!

Located next to the Colony Square Mall -- lots of boutiques and several good restaurants.

Rooms are wonderful -- I especially loved their down comforters and pillows.

Free Internet access -- bring your laptop!

Beware of parking fees -- $16-18 per day! If you fly into Atlanta, just use MARTA, don't rent the car.

More about W Atlanta Midtown

The Best W So Far

by TripAdvisor Member Danify

My wife and I travel frequently and really enjoy W Hotels. The W Atlanta MidTown was amazing. The chek in was awesome. The best service I have ever had a a W. They could not do enough for us . Every employee was so friendly and had a smile.The pool was so much fun with music playing ,cabanas and a great bar. Our room was just beautiful with a shower that was 10 x 10 all glass and two flat screens as well as a great stereo system. The Acura service was so great! They drove us all over the place in a very classy car. The Bar at the W is hopping and the place to be on a weekend. This place is so funky and cool.
We were in Atlanta to see Collective Soul our favorite band. Chastaine Park was a fantastic place to see a concert.
We found the best places to eat by going on the internet to sneakysunday.com . This was a great site for food and entertainment. Chek it out,you won't be dissapointed.
I highly recommend the W Atlanta Midtown

Midtown's New Cool Place to Stay

by TripAdvisor Member FreqTravelerDC

The new W Hotel in midtown has certainly scrubbed away all remnants of the Sheraton Colony Square. The rooms are spacious and have much cooler features than most W Hotels (having stayed at over 8 W Hotels). One such feature in the suites is a walk in shower with a floor to ceiling window on the side facing the bedroom. The shower space itself is a rain shower about 6x6', maybe larger. Also, the higher floor rooms have great views of Piedmont Park. The hotel is centrally located in Midtown. If you are there for business you have easy access to downtown as well as to the Atlanta suburbs via 10 and 14 Sts entrances and exits to the highway. The restaurant in the hotel is very good. Service by the hotel desk people and the restaurant was excellent and attentive. The hotel doesn't have a pool if you are looking to get outside. The workout room has much of the requisite equipment of free weights, machines and cardio equipment, except that it located in the basement without windows. I would suggest a run in Piedmont Park instead.

Enjoyable Stay

by TripAdvisor Member Mousie206

I stayed here for a conference in May.

Check in was easy and once we got to the room the person who checked us in called the room to see if eveything was ok.

The valets and staff in the lobby were always very friendly and didn't give me an attitude when I asked a question (a problem I've had with many other hotels.)

The room is nicely decorated and quite a nice change from the standard hotel floral patterns. The bed was incredibly comfortable although I don't understand why it lights up. I thought the ipod docking station was a nice touch. It also seemed to have all the requirements you would need to use a laptop at the desk.

The alarm clock was impossible to figure out how to use. I set my cell phone alarm just in case but most people at the conference required a wake up call b/c no one trusted the clock.

I didn't like that the fridge was packed with things to buy b/c I couldn't use it to keep my own supplies in it.

The bathroom sink started leaking the 2nd day and maintenance appeared within 20 minutes. The sink was cracked and we had to be moved. The maintenance man was the most courteous I had ever met and was very apologetic. This would have been a huge hassle if my husband hadn't been able to handle it while I was in meetings. The room we moved into did not have good water pressure but was otherwise ok.

I also heard from other people at the conference that bathroom doors had fallen off and various other kinks that still need to be worked out. By that time the hotel was full and they had to live with the issues.

The gym has lots of cardio machines and free weights. Each machine has a tv on the display and they supply ear phones.

The lobby seating area was also a nice change from the standard hotel. And there is complimentary coffee all day for hotel guests.

I didn't eat at the restaurants but the hotel supplied the food for the conference breakfasts, lunches and banquet. It was all ok but typical mass produced food. Except for the desserts which were to die for. There was also a dessert reception which was excellent.

Overall it was a good stay but I don't know if I would return for over $300 a night.

Great Hotel! Fabulous Bliss Spa!

by TripAdvisor Member xopinkbubblesox7

From the moment we checked in, we could tell this was going to be a great hotel experience. The lobby was full of excitement, and the welcome desk was wonderful at checking us in promptly, even though we arrived early. The hotel rooms were a great size for my boyfriend and me and the decor was splendid. Definitely be sure to check out the bar, which has a great social scene!

My boyfriend and I decided to treat ourselves to services at Bliss Spa, and did we receive a special treat! The front desk was very helpful and informative about the services, as we were not sure which services to book. I finally decided on the Triple Oxygen Facial, while my boyfriend received the Blissage 75. Both of our services were AMAZING! I have received many facials at many different spas (I travel a lot), but this was by far the best facial I have ever had - I was so relaxed I felt like I was floating. My boyfriend had a great massage, and said they used a special technique on him that he had never had before, but he's now hooked! The amenities to use after our services were great as well; I took full advantage of the sauna and eucalyptus steam shower, and I helped myself to their delicious brownies.

I cannot wait until the next time I am in Atlanta to re-book at both the W Hotel, as well as with Bliss!

A Sheraton is still a Sheraton

by TripAdvisor Member ladytiger1975

My husband and I were in town for the Annual AWWA (American Water) Convention. Because this was a last-minute trip, all of the convention hotels were booked, so we stayed at the W. It just opened 3 months ago; it used to be the midtown Sheraton. Everything is VERY modern looking and contemporary. While everything has been upgraded and changed, it is still a Sheraton. The mini-bar prices were the highest I had ever seen, except for New York. Luckily, there is a food court nearby for coffee and breakfast.
Some things I didn't like; no coffee in room, no phone book, the first day we had NO maid services. Also, the housekeeping used a sweeper instead of a vacuum and I have BAD allergies, so it didn't remove the dust. Valet parking was $28 a day!
Some things I did like; the service was impeccable. Their motto is "Whatever it takes" to make you happy, they will do it. James, the concierge, was outstanding. Be sure you ask for Larry when you need a bellman:he's the BEST!

Wonderful stay the W

by TripAdvisor Member coachdog1

Stayed at the W to attend a training class in Atlanta and could not have been more pleased.
All of the staff here are warm, welcoming and have a true interest in the guest being happy and well taken care of.

Everything from the entrance to the lobby is well maintained and spotless. Check in was fast, friendly and welcoming.

Room was in great shape. Comfortable bed, nice chaise lounge, plenty of closet space and very clean. Good lighting in the room as well as the bath. As usual the bath was clean and had the Bliss products. Plenty of room in the bath and good counter space. No problems with the shower. Very nice shower head. Wish the pressure would have been a little better, but it was acceptable.

TV was a wall mounted flat panel and had several HD channels. TV pulls out from the wall and can be angled so viewing from the bed was no problem. Another review mentioned it hard to see the TV while in the bed, but I don't think they were aware it was on a pull out swivel arm. Work space was good and even though internet use in the room was 14.99 for 24 hours, I never had any problems connecting or staying connected. Wireless was available free of charge in the 'living room" as well , but this area was always crowded while I was there.

Did not eat at the restaurant or use room service, but the staff in the bar was wonderful and the appetizers there were very tasty. As a few others have stated the mini-bar and in room snacks are a bit overpriced, as was room service. For the Atlanta area I would have expected them to be a bit lower.

Free coffee in the "living room" in the mornings. If I have one complaint about the W chain, it is the lack of coffee makers in the room.

All in all this was a great stay and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Great Hotel for the right price

by TripAdvisor Member PHXJeremy

The W Midtown, as folks have mentioned, is a converted Sheraton. The outside of the building is sleek and grey, a great improvement from the former Sheraton facade. Everything on Peachtree Street is a comfortable walk away.

The upgraded room on the 23rd floor was great. The hallways aren't particularly well air conditioned, which is a bit odd, but the room a/c works GREAT. The bathroom was super modern and comfortable. The TV was OK - I didn't really find it all that easy to watch from bed, but wasn't there for the TV.

You've GOT to use a keycard to access the floors. I LIKE THAT - especially since the bar in the lobby would make going to the floors very easy and unnoticeable. Just be aware that local friends aren't going to be able to get to your room without you going to the lobby to get them, or some other guest letting them up. The hotel was VERY quiet - well, the ROOMS were quiet. Lobby was always loud, but that's a W for you. I could hear my neighbor engaged in "activity" from the hall, but not my room. Nice!

They also have 2 Acura SUVs at your disposal during your stay - I made use of them when I was feeling too lazy to walk the mile to my friend's place. It was easy, free, and - I didn't show up smelling like a taxi.

All in all - great location, good people - I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Nice change of pace..

by TripAdvisor Member mmdy

The W is definitely hard to track with GPS...doesn't recognize the address, however, once you arrive, the service is excellent. Our room was really groovy with excellent beds. Our only problem, which turned out to be a big pain, was that the tv did not work properly. My kids were with me, so the concierge brought up free dvds for them to watch. Nice touch. But, to order room service or get details on your account..it all has to be done on the tv, so I was constantly calling the "whatever-whenever" desk. They were so accomodating even though I was a bit annoyed. They offered to move us to another room, but we were already settled in. The Spice Market was fantastic. I will return one day to experience the Bliss Spa.

Comments