Westin Atlanta Airport

Westin.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

The Westin Hotel Atlanta Airport

Generally, airport hotels are frequented by those with a late incoming or early outgoing flight or for business travelers who want convenience and are willing to pay for it. But, as airport hotels go, this one is pretty impressive with its liveliness. The hotel is less than a mile from the airport and runs a free shuttle every few minutes. It has a pretty impressive atrium lobby and a lobby bar which serves decent martinis to a packed house (at least it was the night I stayed here.)

You'll find the typical Westin amenities here, plus a view of the airport, if you find that appealing. The rates are comparable to the other airport chains in the area, although special deals are frequent, especially on the weekends.

The fitness center was not too bad, which is rare at hotels. I didn't eat here, so I can't comment on the food, but the menu looked decent. If you can, try for an upgrade to the club level. Its quiet up there as its the top floor of the hotel and there's free breakfast and evening snacks available.

Directions: The hotel is only a couple of blocks from the airport. The shuttle is the most convenient way to go.

More about Westin Atlanta Airport

Nice Atlanta Airport Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member hank1065

My family stayed here for one night before flying out the next morning. The hotel is newly remodeled & the staff is very courteous & attentive. The rooms are nice, with great beds & a LCD television. Food choices in the hotel & nearby are limited, Howie Do It was coming on in 15 minutes, so I caved in to family peer pressure and ordered room service. Although it was relatively expensive ($65 for 3), the food was surprisingly very good (we had a pizza, club sandwich, and cuban sandwich). Overall, a very nice hotel. I would definitely stay here again!

Typical airport hotel stay.

by TripAdvisor Member usmcsgtftl

I booked a room at this hotel for a one night stay through Hotwire.com for $79. Upon learning the name of the hotel, I checked this website to get an idea of what I should expect, as I had not stayed at a Westin before. I was pleased to see largely positive and in some cases effusive reviews of the hotel. I looked forward to a pleasant stay.

What I received was instead a garden-variety one night hotel stay. Let's talk about the good; the hotel staff are extremely professional and courteous. The room featured an LG 42" flatscreen television and two queen beds. There is a workstation, mini bar, coffeemaker with Starbucks coffee, and newer furnishings and linens in the room. The bathroom is especially pleasing to the eye and is attractively appointed. The "heavenly bed" did sleep well.

Now, to the okay: this is an airport hotel, so there is a larger frequency of noise than in a traditional location. While I can excuse the plane noise, I was rather surprised at just how much noise I could detect coming from the hallway. In addition, the air conditioner was rather raspy. I did the usual fingertip test along dust-catcher ledges and was surprised to find a fair bit of dust on the horizontal surfaces on the bedside lamps and above the headboards. And frankly, after reading the praise of the recent renovations, I expected to find better than what I observed. The rooms are definitely newly renovated, but the furniture was almost a dead-on match to furnishings that were in my La Quinta - Huntsville, AL stay. And the general architecture of the hotel is eerily reminiscent of the Holiday Inn at the Chicago Merchandise Mart; it is very apparent this is an older property, and while management has done a credible job in updating the rooms, I felt like the halls and the lobby fell short by comparison. I was also VERY irritated at discovering it would be a $12.95 fee for one night's wireless internet access.

At this point, I feel compelled to explain my sentiments. Westin is a much more prestigious hotel marque than I am accustomed to frequenting, so perhaps I expected too much. But I wavered between booking a room at the Hyatt Place for $96 or taking the unknown Hotwire property, and in retrospect, I wish I had stepped up for the Hyatt Place room. My $79 Hotwire booking savings were essentially negated by the $12.95 internet charge, and while it was a pleasant enough stay, it was also entirely forgettable. For virtually the same amount, I could have had complimentary wireless access, more modern furnishings, a separate living area, and the same high standard of service. I would love to be in complete agreement with the other TripAdvisor members here, but I simply can't concur with them on all aspects of this property.

Very nice - a few quirks

by TripAdvisor Member ecalvin2k

Very nice hotel. The building is in beautiful, excellent condition and the personal service was very good.

There are a few quirks that need to be fixed, though. Although they effectively insulated the building from airport noise, they forgot to insulate the noise from the hallways.

The heavenly beds are, in fact, aiming for heaven but but not quite. The mattress and linens are of excellent quality. The pillows, though, are way too soft and don't provide the necessary support. My neck was hurting after the first night. I then asked for foam pillows but those didn't do the trick either. The competing hotel chain got the bed AND the pillows right.

The bathroom was completely beautiful and spotless! The heavenly shower was so good that I could almost forgive them for the bad pillows.

The large-screen TV was not very friendly to operate even for a computer guru and very much geared towards selling you products no matter what. After a difficult day of business meetings I don't want too much hassle to watch TV. I also tried to connect my computer using an S-video cable but the feature was disabled.

After spending a week at the hotel my opinion is that it is a nice hotel but not entirely practical for a tired business traveler.

Would never stay again

by TripAdvisor Member Millingan

The parking was a horrible experience. Sometimes someone was at the gate and sometime not. The lobby entrance from the parking lot was ok but could be a little better. The main lobby was clean and open. For this to be a "Westin" you would think it would live up to it's name but it didn't. The furniture in the room was out dated, the hallway was weird, it's like you can see the other floors. There was no fridge or microwave. What I though was a fridge was a refreshment cooler, everything in there was high. You had to pay for everything... The ice bucket was $5, if the wine glasses were moved an inch it was $10, if the wine cork was moved it was $2.50. Now this put the icing on the cake, we didn't have any silverware to eat with our food that we had brought. We called downstairs to have one brought up. The lady told us it would be $10 to bring it up. They charge a 20% surchagre fee for room service plud an addition $2.50. Lets do some math, a glass of tea was $2.25, multipuly that by the 20% and you get $3.75 but don't for get to add the $2.50 charge, so here I am paying $6.25 for some tea when I can run to Micky D's get one for a $1 and probably use 25 cents worth of gas. Just crazy. Then on top of that we had the do not disturb sign up the whole weekend. Leave the room for 2 hrs and they have come in and made the beds, I wasn't so mad at that but I had a white paper bag with some items in there that I bought and they threw the bag away. Now I have a claim number and have to wait for an insurance company to call me back. Now get this, someone called our room by accident do you know they charged us 95 cent for that call. I don't even know what was free in that hotel. I usually stick with the Marriot brand of hotels, this is the second Starwood establishment I have stayed at and there have been problems but a Westin. All I can say is take it at your own risk/

Atlanta Westin by the Airport

by TripAdvisor Member LNCooper

3/12-3/16
First time staying in a Westin; and while I mainly travel for business and usually stay in either Marriott or Extend Stay hotels.

But I'm not use to hotels not having basics such as welcome lit about the hotel and area, free wi-fi, fridge or mircowave. It was very irritating to have to call the front desk for basic info such as check out time and what was around the hotel/area. Plus going out to dinner not being able to bring any food back for a midnight nibble was a pain.

I could understand the charge for parking but it was upsetting that was also not listed under the ammenties info.

The bed was too soft for me and left me in pain during the day. So I had to get a heating pad for my neck and back.
I also heard strange vaccuuming cleaning sounds around 2am.

Positive notes where that the bathroom had beautiful wallpaper and nice towels. Which while relaxing in the tub is a plus to look at.

In general I wouldn't stay at that hotel again. I wouldn't be able to recommend this to my friends for a girls spa weekend or to family members wanting to have a nice place to stay but maybe save on some cost by eating a cold breakfast or if you have a special diet.

Great Airport Location

by TripAdvisor Member cafcolonel

The staff was very friendly, and when I was checking in, the girl warned me about the mini bar, and that it can tell when stuff was moved in there. I appreciate that, since i don't want to see suprises on the bill. The washroom was cool, and I did like the wallpaper and the way the mirror was lit. And it's nice to get a free bottle of water. What I don't like is hotels charging for the internet, and this one does charge. Also, I didn't like that I could here the doors closing at night from the other rooms down the hall. Many hotels around the big airports charge for parking, so I wasn't suprised by that. I felt safe staying here, and the hotel shuttle runs 24 hrs, every 20 minutes. Overall, it was a good experience, and the hotel will be high on the list when I come back.

Very Good Airport Hotel - Frequent Shuttle - A bit of luxury on the way home.

by TripAdvisor Member jcherrie

Very good hotel for the price. Frequent shuttle from the airport. Clean - very soft sheets - large bed - a bit luxurious. Very Clean.

Nice hotel near Airport

by TripAdvisor Member travelingark

My husband I stayed at this hotel on 4-18-09 and really enjoyed it. We did "name your own price" on Priceline.com and we got the hotel for $55 plus tax. The hotel staff was friendly and the beds were super comfortable! We were there to see the Georgia Aquarium, and it was only 8mi. away. The rooms were really nice and the shower was also good. Plus, there is a nice flatscreen television in the room. I would def. stay here again. If you are wanting to be close to the airport...it is right across the street practically, but the hotel is not noisy from the airport.
However...there were a few of drawbacks. You have to pay to use the internet (thats just stupid!) and you have to pay $8 for parking...$12 for valet. Plus, they have a mini fridge in the room but it is full of stuff for you to buy, leaving you no room to bring back leftovers or put your own beverages in there! I'd still stay there again though!

No way this is a 4-star hotel; average, but not impressive.

by TripAdvisor Member irenicnoel

Having stayed at many hotels during my travels, I know hotel ratings are very subjective. So when I searched for a 4-star hotel on Priceline, the Westin seemed like a great deal. We paid $55 for one night; to be honest, I'd never pay more than that for this hotel. The location is not very close to the airport, about two exits off in a remote location. There's a shuttle, which we didn't use, and VERY overpriced parking. How overpriced? Well, once you shell out the $8 as an overnight hotel guest, you'll have to park the equivalent of a city block or more from the actual lobby entrance. The parking was not well lit and as a female I didn't feel comfortable walking alone out there at night. Valet is $12 but I did not want to wait in the 8+ people line to drop off my car.

The 'bar' is just a tiny island in the middle of a large atrium. Not really a bar in my opinion. Bar service was bad; the bartenders at one point were all standing around texting and goofing off as if they were drunk themselves than serving the cluster of people around the bar.Crowd was obviously touristy and business class mixed with the odd group of families, pretty much what you'd expect, but we weren't staying here for the atmosphere necessarily so I won't take off points for the loud children or general loudness of the crowds.
Which brings me to the 'renovation' that is so oft referred to in the chain-letter responses from management on this website- if this hotel has recently been renovated, the interior designers ripped you guys off. The inside lobby is more suburban than modern and noise ECHOES all over the place. This is probably due to the "atrium" that is visually very pretty but inside extremely poorly laid out and decorated. Plus, no one apparently thought to consider acoustics. Every time a door opened and closed, we could hear it in our room. In the morning, I could hear conversations people were having in the hallway while sitting in bed. Anyway, room is basic, not very large, about what I'd expect at a 3-star hotel but not a 4-star. The bed is comfortable but something in the pillows made me sneeze constantly. Same w/bathroom; basic and not very large. On top of it, my boyfriend is a pilot and requested a 5am wakeup call which NEVER came. Thank god I set my phone alarm for 5:15 as a backup or he would have been severely late for his job. When I tried to check-out, the auto-checkout told me my account was 'not available' and downstairs only 2 of the 4 check-in clerks were staffed; once again, long lines. I just left and began the two block trek down to my car. Not the quality of service that makes a 4-star hotel worth its rating. We can all agree that service can make up for a lot of shortcomings in a hotel, but unfortunately the Westin isn't quite there yet.

Overall,to reiterate- I'd pay $55 for this room, but not more. There are WAY better hotels to be had in Atlanta. Trust me, you are better off driving 10 to 15 minutes to downtown or midtown than staying at this hotel. It's not a terrible place to stay, it's just not worth it given what they're charging and where it's located/amenities. If you get it on Priceline, go for it. But this hotel is a three star, three and a half star at *best*. If you're going to shell out $150 for a room, please do yourself a favor and check out other places to stay. As an Atlantan, I know there are places in the city where you can actually get your money's worth.

Comments