Ellis Hotel

Expedia.com Priceline.com Hotels.com

More about Ellis Hotel

Great wedding night at The Ellis

by TripAdvisor Member 2mr41h

My wife and I stayed at The Ellis Hotel in Atlanta for our wedding night. The location is excellent - it's right in the heart of Atlanta on Peachtree St., within walking distance of several restaurants and the Peachtree Center MARTA station. The hotel itself is gorgeous on the interior, having been renovated in fall of 2007. It features lots of modern furniture, state-of-the-art access control and very contemporary amenities.

The room was spotlessly clean, with a large, comfortable bed, digital temperature control, hi-def television and an iPod-ready clock radio. We were even impressed by the modern-styled bathroom.

Our only complaint was the noisy streets below; our room faced Peachtree Street and was not insulated well from the traffic. I'd book an interior room next time for the privacy.

The Ellis is an excellent, affordable hotel for those looking for contemporary, young styling that avoids the hotel cliches. It's perfect for honeymooners or couples looking for a fun night away from home.

Depending on your priorites...

by TripAdvisor Member FormerNYer

The Ellis is a nice enough hotel. Immediately you can tell that it has been recently renovated. The good parts - free printing in the business center and the room (I stayed in a jr. suite) was spacious and nicely decorated - good, large flat screen and the mini bar was stocked with ultra premium goods. That's important because THERE IS NO ROOM SERVICE! On top of that, the food in the restaurant is horrible. There are zero health options available for dinner so I bypassed it alltogether and headed across the street to the Ritz for breakfast (which I highly recommend, if you're ok spending $25+ for eggs and coffee). So the food and the lackluster service of the desk people are huge negatives. The price and decor on the other hand, are good.

A find in downtown Atlanta

by TripAdvisor Member Splinter101

I stayed here in March while attending a professional conference at the nearby Westin (which has seen better days). I saved $$ over what I would have paid at the Westin, for a beautiful and elegant room at the Ellis (#306). It is a corner room with big windows, a king bed with a fluffy down quilt, all decorated in sophisticated black and white, big fluffy towels, and flat screen TV in addition to a very functional desk. No refrigerator. Just around the corner from the free business center (computers with internet access and a printer with no charge) and the small but functional gym (also free). Service, including front desk and housekeeping was perfect. As a woman traveling alone, I was glad to see that a room key card was required to operate the elevators.

I did not eat there since meals were provided at my conference, but did eat one night at PittyPat's Porch (kind of touristy, but good basic southern food) and walked to the Aquarium from here easily during daylight hours. A plus is that the MARTA station is right across the street and an easy way to get to the hotel from the airport.

The only downside is the lack of room service or any on-site store or vending machines at all...buy your sodas, etc. elsewhere. They do have ice machines on each floor. There was quite a bit of road traffic noise early in the evening (it is right on busy Peachtree Street) but I did not notice any during the early morning hours, and it might be more quiet on higher floors.

I will stay there again if I am in the area, and can recommend it to others, esp. for business travel.

absolutely loved this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member gerieann

We checked in to the ellis on Wedneday March 12th. The hotel was very modern, the staff was very helpful. When entered our room it was very clean and the beds were soooo comfortable. Well, Friday night the unexpected happened!!!! A tornado hit downtown Atlanta!!! We were at a Dental convention, when we left the convention, we ate at Ted's Montana Grill (wonderful place by the way). We were hit pretty bad! We walked back to our hotel through the shambles of atlanta. we decided to check out and leave right then. They immediately escorted everyone to the basement for fear of another hit!!! The staff was so proffessional and compasionate until the very end!!!!!!! I will never stay at another hotel in Atlanta but the Ellis!! I highly recomend it to anyone!!! Also, do not worry about the security of the hotel, it is top notch!!! Especially if Derk is your security guard, he made everyone fell safe!

Great Downtown Atlanta Option

by TripAdvisor Member kimberlynyc120

I stayed at the Ellis on business for one night, 2 days and was really pleased with it.
It's not "an event," as you would get if you stayed at the Westin or the Ritz or the Hyatt, it was just relaxed and comfortable. I stayed in a King Deluxe room which was a corner unit and had a very comfortable, large bed. There was a flat screen in the room with a lot of channels and although there was no wireless in the rooms (there is in the hotel), they had high speed internet that you could just hook up right there on the desk, so doing work in the hotel room was a cinch. Bathrooms are great, showers are great, Zegna shampoo and soap (ohh la la). The only thing I thought was a little weird about the room was that the "mini bar" (it was laid out on the desk) was a bit...dusty. So I'm sure the stuff had been sitting there without being changed for ages.

It is in a great area too, lots of bars and restaurants, right near Americasmart, and a lot of other hotel conference center and the rate here was great!

I didn't get to check out the restaurant but the menu looked good, although I went to check it out twice and it was empty. But at night, the lounge/restaurant area, sounded like it was pretty crowded.

Check out and check in were easy, overall, nothing absolutely spectacular, but a really nice, comfy place to stay.

Great Hotel, Boring Location

by TripAdvisor Member SpreeBee

The Ellis was very beautiful. It was clean and modern and the staff was more than helpful. This hotel is much nicer than most I have been to.

We walked from the MARTA station to the hotel with 4 days worth of luggage and it was an easy walk. It is also easy to rent a car (within walking distance) from this location as well. It is worth noting: It is cheaper to rent a car from the locations in down, not at the airport. I would advise taking the MARTA for a few dollars to the hotel and then renting a car from there. Enterprise was $36 from downtown, but $76 from the airport. Parking is also $15-25 at the Ellis if you keep the car over night.

The downside is that downtown does not seem to be the most interesting place to stay. There are few places to eat (Hard Rock, McDonalds and a few good local places) and not many places to buy drinks or snacks to take back to the hotel. We didn't eat at the hotel, but the menu looked good and reasonably priced.

It was a medium-distance walk to the Coca-Cola world and the Aquarium, worth the stop.

Enjoy this hotel!

Great time at the Ellis

by TripAdvisor Member Streetglider

My wife and I stayed at the Ellis during a recent trip to Atlanta to tour CNN and to visit the Georgia Aquarium. The hotel's location is excellent for access to both sites as well as the Coca Cola museum. We liked the hotel very much. The rooms are very well decorated, clean and modern. Flat screen TV, wrap around desk, king size bed, and decent view of town.

The only negative is there is no designated load/unload area when you are checking in or out. While they do have valet (at $20 per day), we had to double park when we arrived to unload our luggage.

Otherwise, we plan to return on our next trip to Atlanta

Initial impression very good but turned sour by the end of stay

by TripAdvisor Member Judybat16

I was in Atlanta for business for 4 days. It was surprising that the rate at the Ellis was considerably less then the Sheraton where my workshop was. I reviewed Trip Advisor and thought it looked really good. When I arrived the valets smiled and were very friendly and efficient. When I walked to the front desk the young woman looked at me but did not smile which I found a little cold. I got up to my room and it was smallish but appeared clean and elegant. I had a nice view of downtown. I think the location is great for what I needed but I was approached several times when I was standing outside the building by panhandlers. It did not make me feel safe until I was in my room. Pros: Nice tv, they kept the bathroom very clean, i liked the workout room and the business center. Also the front desk gave very good restaurant recommendations. If you are meeting someone here for business it gives the image of modern and elegant.Cons: A somewhat dismissive and negative attitude of some members of the staff. One of the bellman got on the elevator with me and he was like ugh, its time to go to work. I also saw one of the cooks from the grill outside smoking and then he threw his cigarette into the street. I didn't like seeing that. I also didn't care for the products they had in the room. The scents were very loud and heavy. I would suggest something more neutral and clean smelling. I would also suggest more communication about what's available for guests around the hotel. there was information on local attractions and churches and such but I know I would like to know where is the nearest walgreens or cvs if I need something. I also discovered throughout my stay I was getting bug bites. I then spotted a bug in my sheets on my 4th morning. I have already advised the hotel about this.

Wonderful stay at the Ellis

by TripAdvisor Member cheri88

I am writing this review at the desk in this hotel. I will start with the bad. Parking, it is near impossible to find a place to park while waiting for valet. Once we entered the hotel, we found a beautifully decorated hotel with a very friendly staff. We stayed on the 14th floor. I liked the feature that you had to use your room key to operate the elevators. We had a great view of peachtree st., and beyond. The beds are the most comfortable I have ever slept in. There were more than enough towels and soaps. There are two robes in the closet. the flat screen TV was nice, as was the free internet. One thing that would have been ice is a table in the room with two chairs.We had dinner at the E Street Grille in the hotel. It is located on the second floor, and we sat outside. The food was excellant. We had a few drinks and did not feel rushed - we were the only ones there. For breakfast we ate there again. Food was OK, and it got somewhat crowded. We sat at the tables with the long bench, and felt crowded in by other people. The service was slow. We never heard any noise except when we had the window open. I would gladly stay here again the next time I visit Atlanta.

It was an okay stay

by TripAdvisor Member mcalbreeze

My husband and I just returned from our two night stay at the Ellis. It was a nice place to stay. As other posters have said, it is a modern and clean hotel. Our room was very small with a king sized bed. The bathroom was small, but nice. We really liked the shower and the flat screened tv. The pros were free internet, free business center and fitness center. The cons were some street noise (not the hotel's fault) and if there were people in the hall we could hear them quite well and none of them were being especially loud. The staff were friendly. The only complaint we had was that when we checked-in we asked for the $15/hr self-serve parking and were told that if we parked on the opposite side of the street behind the taxi lane that there was no cost all weekend. So we decided to do that. We saw the signs about the taxi lane and were not in it. What we didn't see and what they neglected to tell us was that there is no parking between 7am until 7pm daily. So of course we got a ticket. We went back to the desk and told them what happened, but al they said was that we shouldn't have been told that. The hotel is convenient to many downtown restaurants and is not far from Turner Field (we went to see a Braves game). We enjoyed Durango Steakhouse. When we return to Atlanta we will stay in Buckhead as there is much more to do than there is downtown.

Comments