darien is the county seat of mcintosh county georgia. pictured is the mcintosh county courthouse built in 1872. this interesting building is constructed of "tabby", a local building material consisting of mortar, sand, and oyster shells. in 1721 fort king george was built near present day darien to protect british america from indian and spanish attack. the town of new inverness was founded in 1736 by scottish highlanders who were recruited by james oglethorpe. macintosh county was named after lachlan mcintosh who was a revoluntary war leader. new inverness was lated named darien after darien scherne, a former scottish colony in panama. in 1863 darien was conpletely destroyed by robert gould shaw's 54th massachusetts coloured regiment. after the civil war darien became a lumber port. today darien is a small fishing village. of interest to the tourist is fort george historic site and nearby hofwyl-broadfield plantation.