Dillard House

768 Franklin Street, Dillard, Georgia, 30537, United States

Satisfaction Poor

More about Dillard House

Always an excellent getaway

My husband and I have been to the Dillard House twice - once in June 2003 (Chateau 13) and again in January 2005 (Chateau 7) during the ice storm. We have been very impressed with not only the rooms, but the food and service. Both chateaus were very clean with no problems noted at all with cleanliness, service, etc. Our chalet was stocked with firewood which came in very handy. We did have to call upon security once 1/05 and were greeted with a quick resolution to our question. Though the cable did go out during the ice storm, power remained on which was a plus. Dining at the Dillard House is always an experience. I found that the fresh vegetables were better in the summer (obviously) but both times were outstanding. Most chalets are pet friendly (the ones without jacuzzis) which makes it an even more appealing place to go with pets. (Neither chalet had the telltale pet hair / signs of a pet friendly establishment).

For the naysayers of the Dillard House.... I'm sorry that other reader saw mice, but keep in mind you are in the mountains- and we'd all be naive to think that there have never been any other critters at any other places we eat at any other day of the week. Don't let the negative reviews fool you - the Dillard House in an excellent getaway for anyone!!!

Dirty Dillard 2

My wife and I checked into chalet #19 for our yearly anniversary getaway. We went to bed at 11pm and the bed smelled so bad that I called for a different chalet. I had to drive back to the office for the keys to #18. The air conditioning was not working. I made another trip to the office for keys to #16. Chalet #16 didn't smell right and I found dirty towels in the bathroom, a dirty rag in the shower stall, and trash in more than 1 trash can. At around 1:30am we finally ended up in one of the rooms at the Dillard House.
What bothered us most was the fact that no form of compensation was offered, nor did anyone offer an apology for our inconvenience. They just acted like nothing had happened, and didn't care if it did.
I chose Dillard House because of the name and reputation. Thats one mistake I won't make twice!!!

Love it!!!!

My husband and I have visited the Dillard House many times. We have stayed in the motel and chalets. I cannot say enough nice things about it. We love it there. The food is great, accomadations great and service is wonderful. When we want to get away for a few days, our favorite place is the Dillard House. We go several times a year.

Keysville, Ga.

My money was stolen

I made a reservation by phone the first week of Feb. 2005. The reservation was for the weekend of Feb 18th. I reserved a chalet as a surprise for my boyfriend's birthday. As it turned out we both woke up with the terribel flu that was going around. I had to call and cancel. The lady said they would have to charge me anyway. When I felt better I called back about that and she said she would turn it over to Mr. Dillard and he would just give me a credit for another visit. I was okay with that. But it did occur to me then that when I made the reservation they never gave me a confirmation number (nor did I get one by mail) and never told me what their cancellation policy was. I didn't think much of it at the time because knowing it was family ownd and operated I figured they were honest. When I called back to make a reservation and use my credit a few weeks ago they seemed to know nothing about it. They claimed that they had told me I had to cancel within 14 days which thye never did. I used my debit card when I made the reservation and all I can say is they stole my money. I had always heard good stuff about the food there and I was very disappointed that they operate that way.

very disappointing

My wife and I visited the Dillard House twice this summer. The 1st visit was nice but I was a little surprised at the inattentive service of the entire staff. Our past visit was much worse - we should have seen the "writing on the wall." As described by other reviewers, any request to the servers beyond a refill (should we have to ask?) was met with a roll of the eyes, so to speak - we were made to feel like an imposition rather than a guest. One server was outright rude when we asked if we could have only the continental breakfast for our breakfast meal rather than the entire meal. We also had our lodging changed without notification - we were downgraded to a less expensive, less roomy accomodation even though I had specified our accomodation when the reservation was made. No one offerred any apology, no concern at all about their mistake. In fact, no one ever asked how our stay was, even at check-out. We called the front desk and asked for more room towels, but it took a 2nd call 2 hr later to get them delivered. I loved the grounds and area, but their attitude of us as guests not mattering is more than enough reason not to be back. Bottom line- if you have no reason to "bother" the staff, your stay may be fine. But if anything is not right with your stay or you have a service request, don't expect to be treated like you matter. We won't be back, and it's a shame because the Dillard House could be so much nicer if the staff was more service-oriented. It would seem that the owner's attitude toward his guests trickles down to his staff.

A gem in the Georgia mountains

by TripAdvisor Member wtrskier

We stayed in the new portion of the Dillard House and was overwhelmed with the size and decor of our room. The bathroom features a shower and tub with shower, and awesome tile work. The back porch is complete with two rocking chairs that overlook a beautiful valley. Service was great at the room and in the dining room at the restaurant. We will definately be back.

Most relaxing getaway !

My Mom and I had the unexpected opportunity to stay at the Dillard House Chalets in January. We had the most pleasant, relaxing couple of days ever. The chalet was all we could have asked for: large rooms, great fireplace with wood, firestarter and matches all provided, hot jacuzzi and great beds to snuggle into at night. The meals at the Dillard House are succulent as always and I've been traveling to this destination as often as I can for over 25 years. If you're looking for peace and quiet in a wonderful setting, the Dillard House Chalets are the place to go.

Very Disappointed in Dillard House Chalet

by TripAdvisor Member floridatourguide

My family booked Chalet #11 for 5 days and 4 nights the week between Christmas and New Years. We had driven by the Dillard House Chalets a few months before and they looked so quaint, we decided to stay there our next trip.

We arrived at the chalet about 7 pm to find it very undesirable. The place smelled of mildew (2 of us got headaches). The smell appeared to be worst in the master bedroom where the jacuzzi was.

Dust covered the air intake vent, which was located in the kitchen. The curtains had broken hooks so when closed, there was about a 4 foot area that draped down.

The wood for the fireplace was green. No starter log was provided, which may have been fine with dry wood. The previous vacationer must have had the same problem. There were logs thrown on the side of the house that looked like someone had recently tried to start a fire with green logs, too.

There were cracks in the fireplace that cold air blew through. There was what appeared to be a blood stain on the white sheets in the master bedroom.

We were only there a couple hours when we all decided we couldn't bear to smell (and inhale) the mildew for our entire stay.

The front desk was nice, but had nothing else to offer us. They were completely booked. We were left to find lodging during tourist season and checked out the following morning.

The lady at the front desk in the morning said they hadn't had any complaints about the chalet before.
I asked for a discount on the room and were given 10% off. I asked to speak to the owner of the chalet, Mr. Dillard, and was told he "would be in later" that day.

I told the lady that the chalet could really use some attention. She wasn't really interested in all the particulars. I told her that I would like to speak with Mr. Dillard to let him know of the problems. I left my cell number and was never contacted.

Nice, but with problems

by TripAdvisor Member AllenH

My wife and I stayed in the motel. The rooms were clean and well kept. Very nice scenery.
Problems were: bed was very unconfortable. Found 2 spiders in the bathroom. Wireless internet signal was poored. Couldn't use dialup
Restaurant toooo expensive