2175 Gordon Highway, Evans, Georgia, 30809, United States

Exterior of Shane'sExterior of Shane's

Travel Tips for Evans

Honey Berry Farm

by Stephen-KarenConn

I built this house in Evans, on 10 acres of land at the dead end of a dirt road. I named it Honey Berry Farm, because I had 9 beehives and planted about 1000 rabbiteye blueberry bushes. I also raised a large garden, fruit trees, chickens, goats and other critters. Today the 10 acres has been divided into two lots, and it is no longer called Honey Berry Farm. Life was great here in many respects and it was a wonderful place to raise my three sons. However, due do a very difficult divorce, and circumstances beyond my control, I lost the house and land and left Evans bankrupt, broke and unemployed in May of 1992. The house is now owned by another family who seem to love it as much as I did. When I went back to visit, in June of 2006, they recognized me and invited me in to take a nostalgic tour.

Stuff happens. Now, several years later, I have a wonderful loving wife, Karen, and the nicest house I have ever owned. Life is Good!

Conn Drive

by Stephen-KarenConn

One of the neatest things about living in Evans, and at Honey Berry Farm, is that the County Commission named the road Conn Drive, in my honor. At the time I built my house there it was a one lane dirt road and mine was the first house on it.

I was amazed during my recent visit back to Evans to see that Conn Drive has now been widened, paved and extended. Today Conn Drive is the address for a new school and about 140 very fine homes. I doubt if many people remember where the name came from. Some think it is an abbreviation for Connecticut. I should have had them name it the J. Stephen Conn Boulevard (GRIN).

Lake Springs Park

by 807Wheaton

Lake Springs Park is owned by the Army Corps of Engineers. It is on Lake Thurmond which was formed by Thurmond Dam on the Savannah River.

This is a great place for picnics with lots of shelters and grills and boatramps for boating.
Fee is $4 per vehicle. If you have a National Park Pass or Golden Pass it is $2 per vehicle.
The Park is only open April through September which to me is a pity as two of Georgia's nicest months for outdoor activities are October and November.

Wild Wood Park

by 807Wheaton

Wildwood Park is open year round for camping and family outings.
The fee is $2 per vehicle.
There are six miles of bike trails, boatramps, picnic shelters, volley-ball areas, and 61 campsites for rent.
Wildwood is about 12 miles northeast of Evans, GA.

Evans, Georgia: Once My Home

by Stephen-KarenConn

I lived in Evans, Georgia from 1983-1992. It is a very fast growing suburb of Augusta, Georgia, lying on the Savannah River and the South Carolina border. Evans has no distinct downtown but there are numerous strip malls, restaurants, hotels and other businesses along the main roads. It is primaily a bedroom community for Augusta.

This page is not really about tourism. It's just a small personal record of a place I used to live.

Comments