Ramada Limited Helen

Despegar.com Otel.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Helen

Excaliber Hamburger - Beau's dinerExcaliber Hamburger - Beau's diner

On the way thereOn the way there

chattahoochee riverchattahoochee river

troll taverntroll tavern

Some advice on Helen, please

by askantik

Hi guys (sorry for such a long post),

I'm looking at a surprise "romantic" trip (we aren't exactly overly romantic, so don't go too far with the "romantic" part) for me and my lady to the Helen area during Oktoberfest. However, I'd also like to get out and see Unicoi SP and Anna Ruby Falls.

Do you have any suggestions for nice places to stay? I don't necessarily mean 3 or 4 or 5 star hotels, but something maybe like a cabin? I've looked into a few (as well as the "cottages" and lodge at Unicoi SP) but it's hard to tell about these places online. A huge majority of these cabins look nice and lure you in with "$85/night!!" but then you find out that there's an additional 12% tax, a $30/night cleaning fee, and that on weekends it's actually $120/night or something crazy like that.

Anyone have any experience with staying in the lodge or cottages at Unicoi? What are some other things to do? And what is your general opinion of Helen? Some people seem to say it has it's charm but some say it's so touristy it's hard to have a good time. Even if it's bad, I'm mostly interested in the scenic views and a few beers. I'd love to go tubing or canoeing, but we'll be coming in October or November probably, so I'm sure that's out of the question. Any general advice or tips is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

by TexasDave

Supply and demand dictate that hotel rates will be much higher on the weekends for obvious reasons. We found it just as good to stay a little away from Helen itself and then drive in early in the day as by noon traffic gets very heavy and there is only one main road leading in and out of Helen. I have a few tips of things to do on my travel pages. Dahlonega is also worth some time. I've seen the cabins at Unicoi but have never stayed at them. I understand they get booked up a long time in advance although right now with the economy that might not be the case. I also have info on a very nice scenic drive up in the mountains. Hope that helps.

by rexvaughan

We stayed in the Castle Inn which is right in the middle of downtown Helen. It is fine and sits right on the Chattahoochee. It has a decent restaurant overlooking the river but is also close to a number of other options in Helen. There is no doubt that Helen is a bit touristy but still an enjoyable place. Also convenient to Anna Ruby and Unicoi. The views in that area are great and you can find lots of differnt beers. Apart from this hotel there are lots of other standard US motel options and all kinds of cabins. The Castle Inn does not have a reception desk and the contact info below puts you in touch with the agency that handles it whose offices are just a few blocks down the street.
8287 S Main St
Helen, GA 30545
(706) 878-3140

by askantik

TexasDave, sorry it's been so long since my post. What's the info you have on that scenic mountain drive? :)

by askantik

Oh, I found it on your page. Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob at VT :)

Travel Tips for Helen

Beautiful Mountains

by palmas57

Helen is a cozy little town in the North Georgia Mountains. We like to go there just to get away and relax. There are plenty of things to do there and a lot of nice places to eat. On our last trip just before going home we ate a place called Hofer's. It is a really nice place to have breakfast. My fondest Memory of Helen would be the ice and sleet storm that went through while we were there. It was so pretty ( having lived in Florida and not used to such ). We don't have weather like that in Florida very often. It was just a perfect weekend with the Super Bowl on and the fireplace going. I just sat and looked out the window most of the day. It was not one of those storms that damaged trees and put down power lines, just a beautiful little storm that left ice on all the trees. What a beautiful sight.

Brown bagging

by thead

Unless the resturant you are going to is located in the city limits of Helen you may need to plan ahead if you want wine or beer with you dinner.

White County where Helen is located currently has just begun to issue beer and wine licenses for business located in the unincorporated areas of the county.

If they do not already have a license, most all of the resturants outside the Helen city limits will allow you to "brown bag". For those of you unfamiliar with that term, it means you can bring your own beer and wine. The resturant's generally charge you a $3 "cork" fee.

So plan ahead before you go to dinner outside of Helen. In addition to the resturants in town, there are some GREAT resturants just outside the city limits: Edelweiss, Nachoochee Valley Guest House and Stoval House are a few of them. When I am away from this area, I miss the beauty of the N. Georgia mountains.

The Chattahochie River runs...

by davidb4732

The Chattahochie River runs right throught the city. It's part of the Blue Ridge Mountains of north Ga and in the Nacoocchee Valley. Any time of year is great for a visit but Octoberfest is the best. My fondest memory is Anne Ruby falls. It's just a short drive outside of Helen and a short walk.

Give the kid a camera

by rexvaughan

In addition to the normal insect repellant, sunscreen, etc., I suggest, especially if you are traveling with children, that you invest in some cameras for them. I bought a waterproof one time use camera for my grandson to take tubing and he loved it. It was about $15. Also, I bought a one time use digital video camera which gave him a souviner of the trip of his own making. I had a ball watching him video and listening to his young commentary. At one point while filming at Anna Ruby, he annonced, "It is quite nice here. Have a look around," panning a little to fast but not too badly. Then he pointed the camera at me and asked, "What do you think?" The video camera was about $30 plus about $10 for processing - still a great thing for him to take home with pride.

Hofbrauhaus Restaurant & Inn...

by AlpineHelen

Hofbrauhaus Restaurant & Inn International
Hofbrauhaus Restaurant & Inn International is located in Downtown Helen on the banks of the River. The Innkeeper Mr. Christian Hammersen and his staff offer a very romantic and intimate atmosphere for those who wish to enjoy all of the ambiance the village has to offer. During Oktoberfest the restaurant turns into an authentic Beer Garden with brews from the village and imports direct from Germany. Bratwurst Reuben - Juicy Bratwurst grilled on an open flame and served open-faced on Rye toast with Alpine (Swiss) Cheese and Weinkraut (Sour Kraut marinated in Bavarian Wine).

Comments