Jekyll Island Club Hotel

charlenemixa's Profile Photo

Enjoying the Gilded Age

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 9, 2014

Our recent stay at the Jekyll Island Resort Club was very good. It was terrific to experience the Club and relive the gilded age of the millionaires who started this exclusive club. Our room was a a King Suite providing lots of space, well appointed decor of the era but comfy for our visit (i.e. two HD TV's and two sinks in the bathroom). We enjoyed the convenience of walking to local attractions and enjoyed an excellent "early bird" dinner at the Courtyard at Crane and a relaxing lunch at the wharf at the Raw Bar. Strolling through the grounds and the hotel take you back to a different time and era. Taking the cottage tour which includes the history of the Jekyll Island Club helps one appreciate the uniqueness of this hotel.

Unique Quality: History! Accommodations and convenience for activities.

Directions: The Jekyll Island Club is easy to find on Riverview Drive.

doug48's Profile Photo

jekyll island club

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 29, 2007

this historic hotel is a great place to stay when visiting jekyll island. they offer most of the amenities of a first class resort hotel. here you can take in the atmosphere of america's guilded age at the turn of the 20th century. i highly recommend this hotel to visitors to jekyll island's historic district.

Directions: historic district

Old Victorian Grace

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 15, 2007

We stayed here the week after Thanksgiving and really enjoyed it. We stayed in the lowest priced rooms and those are somewhat cramped. But my parent stayed in a suite in the newer building and it was much more spacious with a fireplace and large bathroom. The hotel itself has beautiful gardens and lots of rocking chairs and big oaks to provide shade.

Unique Quality: Like going back in time, this hotel is very peaceful.

Worst Experience Ever

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 12, 2007

MY FIANCE AND I WERE PLANNING A LABOR DAY WEEKEND WEDDING, AND WE THOUGHT WE HAD FOUND THE PERFECT PLACE..... JEKYLL ISLAND, SO I SPENT ALL OF FEBUARY TALKING WITH THE STAFF OVER THE PHONE MAKING ARRANGEMENTS ETC, WE WERE SO EXCITED, SO WE FINALLY DROVE 5 HOURS TO VISIT THE ISLAND TO SEE IT IN PERSON, WHEN WE REACHED THE ISLAND , WE GOTY ANY THING BUT A WARM WELCOME, WE HAD MADE AN APPOINTMENT A MONTH IN ADVANCE TO DISCUSS MENUS, LOCATION, ETC, SO WE WENT TO THE FRONT DESK, THE CLERK ALERTED THE SALES MANAGER WE HAD ARRIVED, SHE DID NOT COME UPSTAIRS, WE HAD TO GO DOWN TO HER IN THE BASEMENT WHERE HER OFFICE WAS LOCATED, I HAD TO INTRODUCE MYSELF AND MY FIANCE, SHE LOOKED AT US AS IF WE HAD HORNS PROTRUDING FROM OUR FOREHEADS, SHE THEN DUMPED US OFF ON A VERY UNWILLING UNKEPT SALEPERSON, SHE DID GIVE US A TOUR,, WITHOUT UTTERING BARELY A WORD, SHE DID NOT ASK US ABOUT MENUS OR ANYTHING, SO I LEFT IN TEARS, I CALLED THE SALES MANAGER FROM OUTSIDE THE HOTEL AND TOLD HER TO CANCEL EVERYTHING, SHE ASKED NO QUESTIONS, JUST SAID OK, THATS IT, OLD WHITE MONEY IS ONLY WELCOME HERE, AND THEY LET YOU KNOW IT.

grandmaR's Profile Photo

Historic Hangout for Millionnaires

by written on January 12, 2007

I have obviously not stayed in this hotel, but I notice that none of the other reviews have any photos, so I decided to supply these of the outside of the hotel.

Best From Afar

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 1, 2005

Everything you have heard and read about Jekyll Island Club Hotel is true. The grounds are beautiful and from a distance, the hotel and its structures are impressive. However, any tourist considering staying on Jekyll Island would be better off staying at one of the many hotels along Atlantic beach side of the island and taking a tour of the Historic District instead. My family and I were recent guests of the Club Hotel and I have never spent a more nightmarish weekend in my life.
My family (total party of 5) arrived on a Friday for a long weekend. Instantly we could tell, the hotel was best admired from afar – as it seemed it was only the 100 plus years of paint holding it all together. I love old restored buildings, but this hotel was not restored just old. Our room for the weekend was a suite in the main hotel structure, which was a massively large room with two double beds and queen size sleeper sofa. The bathroom was equally massive in size. However, as large as the room was the single closet was almost nonexistent and the quality of the fixtures, appliances, carpet, etc. was very old and worn. However, the room condition was not a concern; it was the lack of air conditioning for the entire weekend.
Although the A/C was working, it was painfully obvious that it was not sized to cool that size of room on a hot Georgia weekend. Moreover, all of the public areas of the hotel were kept at the same hot temperature. Only after repeated complaining and insisting on some sort of compensation, we were offered two tiny separate rooms with only a single double bed in each (and a view of the broken A/C units), which would have forced us to split up our family and still be a sleep space short. We stayed the room until Sunday for our children’s sake, however I would never wasted my money on Jekyll Island again.
On a positive note: The Grand Dining Room staff and service was outstanding as was the food. Although over priced, I would highly recommend dining there if ever trapped on the island.

Unique Quality: The grounds and the Grand Dining Room

• Kids Activities
  • Suites
  • Free High Speed Internet

Jekyll Island Travel Forum

Need advice about Jekyll Island, Georgia? Visit the Travel Forum for Jekyll Island and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Jekyll Island hotel reviews