Jekyll Oceanfront, A Clarion Resort

975 N. Beachview Drive, Jekyll Island, Georgia, 31527, United States
#12 of 12 hotels in Jekyll Island
Pleasant (2.5 out of 5.0) 3 reviews

BEWARE! Insist on renovated room or stay elsewhere

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 31, 2010

Unless you can secure one of the few rooms they've managed to renovate in the two years they have been working on renovating this property, this is NOT the place where you want to stay! We've stayed at this property for the past three years on our annual trip to Jekyll Island. The first year, it was unrenovated and we were unimpressed. The following year, having learned the property was renovated, we gave it another shot. We did receive a nice renovated room, however, the renovations were not complete and we were subjected to the constant noise of construction throughout the stay. This year, we assumed the renovations would be complete and once again made reservations. Upon arrival, we were suprised to still find construction dumpsters all over the property. Little progress seems to have been made in the past year and the rooms awaiting renovation have apparently been neglected during the past year. We were first given room 307, an unrenovated room that was outdated, dirty and smelly. The A/C had been turned off so the temperature in the room was 85 degrees. We turned on the A/C unit and could hardly hear eachother over the noise it was making, not to mention it smelled as if it might catch fire at any moment. I called the desk clerk and explained that we were very unhappy with the conditions of this room as we were under the impression the hotel had been renovated. She offered to let me look at room 533. The only difference between the two rooms was that 533 at least had a functioning A/C unit. We reluctantly accepted the room out of fear that the other properties on the island would not have any vacancies due to the convention. In a nutshell, here are the areas of concern with this property based on the two rooms offered: (1) This property is oceanfront, but the beach area is only accessible during low tide and even then is not a user friendly area. (2) The grounds are hardly as pictured on the website - no lush green grass, but lots of green construction dumpsters. (3) The room was a two-level split, but only has one A/C unit which means at night the downstairs is freezing and the upstairs is barely cool. During the day, the unit could not keep up with the heat and the room temperature was very uncomfortable. Guests are warned via sign that setting the thermostat below 70 will cause the unit to freeze. (4) There is no weather-stripping around the door...hate to think of the bugs that come and go freely through the huge gaps. (5) The entire room is outdated, dirty and smells of mildew. (6) The wallpaper was peeling from the wall. (7) The bathtub faucet leaked so badly it could be heard over the noise of the television. (8) The room has room-darkening drapes that are stained and frayed and have NO sheers. This means you either have the room pitch dark or sunny and open to public view. (9) The sleeper sofa mattress is a joke! (10) The bedframe was so badly bent is nearly touched the floor. (11) The comforter was stained and dirty. (12) Housekeeping did not come each day until 2 or 3pm...just when you were getting back to your room and wanting to relax. (13) The toilets do not flush well and require you to hold the lever throughout the flush. (14) Some type of plumbing issue caused terribly loud noise when turning faucets on. Obviously, I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. The rooms are just gross and how Clarion can post pictures of beautifully renovated rooms knowing full well that the majority of the rooms have not been maintained is beyond me. Trying to address the concerns with staff is pointless...all I seemed to get was "I'm sorry". Well, Clarion, I'm sorry...but you should be ashamed for misleading your customers. Who knows when the renovations will be completed. I know my family won't be back to see. We will be checking out one of the other properties next year.

Staciajc's Profile Photo

Updated and Renovated

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 19, 2007

OK, the only tip I saw on this Hotel is 2 years old...but we stayed here 2 months ago and it was FABULOUS!! Friendly staff - from the front desk, to the housekeepers - everyone was great! Our room was just a standard King Room on the ground floor - VERY comfy bed (felt like it was brand new!) and our room overlooked a courtyard where we could enjoy our morning coffee and smell the salty-sea air!

I highly recommend this hotel as it has been renovated and is a great place!

Unique Quality: The pool and exercise room are great!

But the BEST part of this stay was the hotel's Steakhouse. I had room service the first night - a big steak that arrived in 20 minutes, piping hot and tender! The next night we went into the restaurant to eat - another great steak and awesome service!

Be sure to check it out! OH - and have a Jekyll-Colada at the Tiki bar by the pool...YUM!

Bad mistake

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 15, 2005

We did a package for this hotel. The room was musky and dark, even though I requested a room on the beach. There was no beach, at high tide it is non exsistant and at low tide 4 feet max.. We got the package with meals - WHAT A MISTAKE!!!!! We waited 20 minutes just to get a drink. The waiter FINALY came to take our order =we had been there for over 45 minutes - and found out that half the staff had quit. We ended up getting NO food and out drinks free because of the inconvience. And we had 4 more days of this package!!

Unique Quality: NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jekyll Island Travel Forum

Need advice about Jekyll Island, Georgia? Visit the Travel Forum for Jekyll Island and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Jekyll Island hotel reviews