Jekyll Oceanfront, A Clarion Resort

975 N. Beachview Drive, Jekyll Island, Georgia, 31527, United States

• BEWARE! Insist on renovated room or stay elsewhere

Unless you can secure one of the few rooms they've managed to renovate in the two years they have been working on renovating this property, this is NOT the place where you want to stay! We've stayed at this property for the past three years on our annual trip to Jekyll Island. The first year, it was unrenovated and we were unimpressed. The following year, having learned the property was renovated, we gave it another shot. We did receive a nice renovated room, however, the renovations were not complete and we were subjected to the constant noise of construction throughout the stay. This year, we assumed the renovations would be complete and once again made reservations. Upon arrival, we were suprised to still find construction dumpsters all over the property. Little progress seems to have been made in the past year and the rooms awaiting renovation have apparently been neglected during the past year. We were first given room 307, an unrenovated room that was outdated, dirty and smelly. The A/C had been turned off so the temperature in the room was 85 degrees. We turned on the A/C unit and could hardly hear eachother over the noise it was making, not to mention it smelled as if it might catch fire at any moment. I called the desk clerk and explained that we were very unhappy with the conditions of this room as we were under the impression the hotel had been renovated. She offered to let me look at room 533. The only difference between the two rooms was that 533 at least had a functioning A/C unit. We reluctantly accepted the room out of fear that the other properties on the island would not have any vacancies due to the convention. In a nutshell, here are the areas of concern with this property based on the two rooms offered: (1) This property is oceanfront, but the beach area is only accessible during low tide and even then is not a user friendly area. (2) The grounds are hardly as pictured on the website - no lush green grass, but lots of green construction dumpsters. (3) The room was a two-level split, but only has one A/C unit which means at night the downstairs is freezing and the upstairs is barely cool. During the day, the unit could not keep up with the heat and the room temperature was very uncomfortable. Guests are warned via sign that setting the thermostat below 70 will cause the unit to freeze. (4) There is no weather-stripping around the door...hate to think of the bugs that come and go freely through the huge gaps. (5) The entire room is outdated, dirty and smells of mildew. (6) The wallpaper was peeling from the wall. (7) The bathtub faucet leaked so badly it could be heard over the noise of the television. (8) The room has room-darkening drapes that are stained and frayed and have NO sheers. This means you either have the room pitch dark or sunny and open to public view. (9) The sleeper sofa mattress is a joke! (10) The bedframe was so badly bent is nearly touched the floor. (11) The comforter was stained and dirty. (12) Housekeeping did not come each day until 2 or 3pm...just when you were getting back to your room and wanting to relax. (13) The toilets do not flush well and require you to hold the lever throughout the flush. (14) Some type of plumbing issue caused terribly loud noise when turning faucets on. Obviously, I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. The rooms are just gross and how Clarion can post pictures of beautifully renovated rooms knowing full well that the majority of the rooms have not been maintained is beyond me. Trying to address the concerns with staff is pointless...all I seemed to get was "I'm sorry". Well, Clarion, I'm sorry...but you should be ashamed for misleading your customers. Who knows when the renovations will be completed. I know my family won't be back to see. We will be checking out one of the other properties next year.

• Staciajc's Profile Photo

Updated and Renovated

OK, the only tip I saw on this Hotel is 2 years old...but we stayed here 2 months ago and it was FABULOUS!! Friendly staff - from the front desk, to the housekeepers - everyone was great! Our room was just a standard King Room on the ground floor - VERY comfy bed (felt like it was brand new!) and our room overlooked a courtyard where we could enjoy our morning coffee and smell the salty-sea air!

I highly recommend this hotel as it has been renovated and is a great place!

Unique Quality: The pool and exercise room are great!

But the BEST part of this stay was the hotel's Steakhouse. I had room service the first night - a big steak that arrived in 20 minutes, piping hot and tender! The next night we went into the restaurant to eat - another great steak and awesome service!

Be sure to check it out! OH - and have a Jekyll-Colada at the Tiki bar by the pool...YUM!

• Bad mistake

We did a package for this hotel. The room was musky and dark, even though I requested a room on the beach. There was no beach, at high tide it is non exsistant and at low tide 4 feet max.. We got the package with meals - WHAT A MISTAKE!!!!! We waited 20 minutes just to get a drink. The waiter FINALY came to take our order =we had been there for over 45 minutes - and found out that half the staff had quit. We ended up getting NO food and out drinks free because of the inconvience. And we had 4 more days of this package!!

Unique Quality: NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More about Jekyll Oceanfront, A Clarion Resort

"Yuk"!!!!!

Stayed at the Resort (???) for 3 days for Mary Kay retreat and the accomodations were disgusting. The rug had nasty stains and the furniture looked to be 30 years old, dirty, and worn out. There was a constant stench as well. I found a cockroach living in one of the dresser drawers in an upstairs bedroom. Stay somewhere else!!!

In need of a major overhaul!

I should have known something was wrong with this "hotel" when we arrived on Jekyll Island and noticed an ad in a local paper (given to people when they pay parking admittance to the island) stating rooms could be bought at the Jekyll Inn for only $59 a night. Needless to say we reserved our room for more than twice that amount months ago.

The "hotel" consists of separate housing units similar to townhouses on the property. After we received our keys and drove to the building for our "ocean view room", I had that sinking feeling you get when you know your hotel room will not even remotely meet your expectations.

When we opened the door to the building the paint was dirty and it did not looked like it was cleaned in quite some time. We continued to our room and we were met with flys and spiders (living and dead) when we went inside. The room was appointed like an old sad hotel (old linens, carpet, furniture, and dirty paint) and certainly not worth the $143 we were overcharged for the room. The patio and the patio furniture had seen better days.

The tenants above us, apparantly had a fitful night sleep as we heard every rickety step above us through out the night.

The property needs a major overhaul or better yet a date with a wrecking ball and perhaps start over with a hotel more deserving of the site.

Love it each year!

We have spent at least one week in January at the Jekyll Inn for the past 6 or 7 years and always enjoy the stay. The rooms are clean, the service is great and the Italian Fisherman Restaurant has excellent food and service. We look forward to being there again in January.

Dorothy

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE!!!!

We stayed in the ocean front room for 179.00/nite. We stayed 3/9 & 10th/ 2004. What a huge, crappy disappointment and waste of money. Our first room was a dive and requested a room change. The hotel is in shambles, room (#260) was supposedly renovated but we weren't told it wasn't finished. The heater didn't work, no toilet paper, towel racks, or clock, unfinished peep hole in door and amenities were absent. The beach access was roped off due to broken access bridge. The unit next to ours was burnt and debris was everywhere. Staff was nice, but it took 6 hours to get settled in the first nite (some vacation)! We complained and got rate reduced to $89/nite-but still that was paying too much! Stay on St. Simons Island instead.........tis much more beautiful there!

If every thing else is full you can always stay here!

On a recent drive up the coast my wife and I decided to stay the night on Jekyll Island. We've stayed on Jekyll dozens of times before,but as luck would have it there was eight conventions going on and the only place to stay was the Jekyll Inn. When first checking in, the hotel gives the appearence of a nice three star hotel, but that soon changes when you get to your room. Old,moldy and run down does not do it justice! The location has the beach almost always under water,termite damage was everywhere. The bed was like sleeping on a piece of plywood,some of the units were under construction, I would suggest waiting a year until the construction crews leave before staying here.

Run away!! Run far far away!!

I'm embarrassed to say that I actually stayed here! This place was just gross! I made reservations for the weekend of July 4th in 2003. When I arrived they had already booked the room I had reserved and then told me that they were going to "upgrade" us to a bigger place. Well boy am I ever glad that I never had the opportunity to see the first place, because when I walked into this dingy, dirty, smelly room, I almost fell over! I couldn't even sit on the sofa without putting a sheet over it for fear that I would catch something. The floors were nasty, the kitchen was gross, the whole place was old and in need of major repair.
I certainly couldn't walk through the place without flip flops, I wouldn't have even taken a shower without flip flops. Yes, it was THAT BAD!! I was very disappointed in the beach access as well. Once the tide came in, the water reached the rocks and covered the beach!! What a miserable place!

THE PLACE NEEDS TO BE TORN DOWN!!!!! NO JOKE

by TripAdvisor Member bharden2003

I arrived at this dump on April 3, 2004, to celebrate my Anniversary weekend. My husband made the reservations without reading the reviews on this so called OCEANFRONT RESORT. Check-in time is 4. We arrived at 4 and had to wait for an hour for a key to the first RAT HOLE. The key had not been activated so we had to go back to the lobby to get the key activated. The kitchen floor was dirty as well as the carpet, the comforter and the furniture. It was not acceptable. The second room was just as bad. The patio looked like it had not been cleaned in the last ten years. The key to to the second rat hole was not activated, security came to meet us. If you must stay at this place do not make your reservations on the internet. Call direct to the hotel and request a OCEAN FRONT room that has been RENOVATED. We ended up staying at the Quality Inn down the street.

Comments