1175 North Beachview Drive, Jekyll Island, Georgia, 31527, United States

Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center
Expedia.com Tingo.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

• Madasabull's Profile Photo

Simple, with access to the beach.

This place was simple and in a great spot. Lots of trees around, right on the main road that takes you all around the island, and with great access to the beach with a lovely boardwalk.

Sure, there were much nicer places to stay, but there was really nothing wrong with this place. Why over pay, when you can pay the right price for the right place.

And if your planning on staying a night or 2 on Jekyll Island, go to the visitors center on the road leading to Jekyll. Here you will find all the brochures like we did, and with a bit of luck, you may encounter an assistant that is wanting to promote one of the hotels, and will write the price of the room down on the brochure for you to hand in at the hotel reception.

If you have this, then before you hand it into the reception, ask the reception what the price of the rooms are. Do this, because the rooms might actually be cheaper than what is written down on your brochure, as the hotel wont have to give the Information Center staff any commission. We have fell for this trick before.

• great place to stay

We had such a great time here! We had great beach access; but be very careful going down the boardwalk steps when they are wet. The suite was fully stocked. The management offers convenient recycling (which we really appreciated). We reserved a 2 bedroom oceanside suite which we recommend since it's 2 story and has better views of the ocean. ground floor suites can't see the ocean over the sand dune. if you want to go to the beach during high tide you can get beach access from one of the parks or picnic areas. there are several pet friendly rooms.

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Hidden among the trees

We have stayed at this facility several times over the years and it has recently been renovated. It is a large facility but the grounds are covered with lovely live oak trees and as you drive through the road bends around them. It is oceanside but there are significant and wooded dunes between the hotel and the sea but with some walkways and elevated observation decks. However, you can always hear the surf if you are seaside.

Since the units are privately owned condominiums, maid service is not everyday as in motels but full service is done every three days and towel exchange and trash pick up are daily.

Unique Quality: There is a lovely pool also set among the oaks and an amazingly good restaurant, the Driftwood Bistro. There are various size units and we have stayed in twoand three bedroom villas with a kitchen, dining area and living room. We did have to share one bath, but that was no problem. The rooms were clean and attractively decorated (see the photos).

We have been before and will go back. It is particularly well suited to families and those who want to do some meal preparation. The kitchen was well equipped. The staff has always been quite helpful and friendly. Our most recent visit was with another couple and we shared a 3 bedroom unit as the 2 BR units have only one bathroom and the 3BRs have 2.

Free wireless internet is available in all rooms. Golf discount tickets are available on-line or at the front desk.

• Great Stay!

Just got back from our Annual Family Reunion. First time at Jekyll Island, Villas By The Sea ~ we all enjoyed tremendously!
    The Villas are perfect for families with separate sleeping areas and fully equipped kitchens.
    The large Pool and tiki hut made an afternoon lounging great, parts of it are very shady when you don't want to get too much sun exposure, and the tiki hut had great music playing and refreshing drinks and snacks - very friendly help too.
    I would recommend Villas to anyone with a family, perfect location!

Unique Quality: The spacioucness of the Villas was great, everyone felt like we were at home, we weren't on top of each other, and it was pretty neat that each of our Villas was decorated differently, you don't get that at the Holiday Inn...

Directions: North end of Island near the Campground and Fishing Pier.

More about Villas By The Sea

Very Dissapointed in Villa's By The Sea

My husband and I were very dissapointed in our accomdocations, the beach, or lack of it and the staff. The furniture in our TINY condo was old and in bad shape, the bedding was worn and I wouldn't even condiser using a untensil until I ran it through two dishwasher cycles. Our 'oceanfront' view consisted of bushes. After expressing our displeasure to the management, we were basically told that we could leave and pay a cancellation fee. They made NO effort to correct our problem by offering to move us to another unit or even extend an apology. We decided to leave. I would never stay there again.

Another Villas Victim!

I have stayed twice at Villas by the Sea and sympathize with all of you who have had horrible experiences. I live close by and occasionally my husband and I like to escape for a weekend away - even if it's just 20 miles or so. We have encountered musty rooms, patronising staff members, bad food, bugs and a bar that apparently shuts down shortly after sundown.

Villas doesn't like "locals" to rent rooms, so when we have gone, we've joined another couple with whom we're friends when they have made trips down from Atlanta. I understand the "locals" policy when it applies to young people at prom, graduation and spring break, but I think a professional couple in their 40's are not too much of a threat no matter where they are from. This crazy policy is the reason our vehicle didn't even make the trip - I doubt if Villas' management even knows we were there. Our friends handled all the issues with the management.

Our first visit was the most horrible; the only reason we went back the second time was because we had a 20% off coupon - that's how bad that first stay was! Being the optimists that we are, we assumed that the first visit was a fluke and decided to give it a second try. It was no fluke. On our second visit our air conditioner didn't work, the sliding glass doors to our balcony wouldn't secure properly, and our room had no towels when we arrived and it took six (6!) hours to get them brought to our villa (by some young fellow who acted like he was making the supreme sacrifice).

When we got up the next morning there was no coffee for the coffeemaker (and yes, I understand that guests only get one - you have to purchase your own for the remainder of your stay) but it didn't matter that there was no coffee, there was no carafe for the coffeemaker anyhow. The restaurant, thank goodness, can manage a decent cup of coffee, although don't expect anything even slightly upscale as far as the food and beverage service is concerned. Menu choices are basic, but plentiful. Service is slow and sometimes difficult to understand.

My son is getting married in a few weeks on St. Simons Island and I wanted to recommend this hotel to some of my friends and relatives. However, I can't seem to get these people to return my telephone calls and I certainly cannot recommend a hotel without having a really good idea of what it's actually like - there's no way I'm going to book my close friends and family into a property that I haven't seen recently. I've solved the problem by booking rooms on St. Simons - (Sea Palms and King & Prince) they were priced similarly and the quality is leaps and bounds ahead of anything on Jekyll, other than the Jekyll Island Club Hotel.

For your money AND your mental health, unless you are required to be on Jekyll Island for a conference of some sort, save yourself the aggravation and stay on St. Simons. You'll be glad you did - incredible lodging, kayaking, cycling, awesome food, real nightlife, and fabulous upscale shopping. They roll the sidewalks up on Jekyll Island sometime around 7 p.m. although Jekyll Island is worth a daytrip to see the Historic District and pay a visit to the Summer Waves water park.

A quiet get away

We have been visiting Jekyll Island every year for the past 18 years. The owners of the Villas by the Sea have done a great job of renovating most of the condos. We stay in a unit which is on the ocean and has a great view of shrimp boats, dolphins, and ships passing. It is true that the tide does come in and the beach disappears but that reminds me of the rocky coast of Maine. When the tide is out we collect sand dollars and enjoy the beauty of the Driftwood Beach. Jekyll can boast no traffic lights on the island...it is a quiet, serene place to go where you can bike the island, walk the beach at low tide, enjoy the water park and nature. I have even had deer and alligator next to me on the trails...not at the same time! It is a wonderful get away from the hustle of other populated islands.

"Another Villas Satisfied Guest"

In reading "another Villas victim", I was quite amused. I live outside of Brunswick GA, which is located closer than St. Simons & I have stayed at the Villas by the Sea every year for the past 3 years. Each visit has been wonderful. I find the staff happy to help with anything my family & I need. I also have a 20% discount card, which is given to each person that leaves the resort; it's a preferred guest discount card. The hotel staff cares about all of its guests and wants everyone to come back no matter where they live.

After re-reading the comment twice, I found many things that just didn't make any sense. The person states that they were at the resort 2 times & didn't like the place, yet when they say their son is getting married and they wanted to recommend the hotel to friends and family, they can't get any one to respond & they can't recommend it without getting a good idea of what it's really like. Does this make sense? It seems that the person is writing a bad review because they didn't get "something for nothing" or they have a grudge against the resort for some other reason than a stay there and this is their way of "getting back".

It's also funny that the person is "Selling" St. Simons to you as you read towards the bottom. In any case, the comment just seems like a fake. Take it from an honest person, the Villas by the Sea is a great place and you are treated like family. Nothing is perfect and sometimes little things go wrong, however if a business is willing to fix the problem and do everything they can to make you happy can you really hold it against them? I will return to the Villas, year after year and I hope the person who wrote that terrible comment, LIGHTENS UP OR GETS OVER IT!

Exactly what we needed

For the past 3 years our church has sponsored a Married Couples Retreat. This past October we held our retreat at Villas By The Sea. We researched every possible resort and retreat center in Georgia and found that Villas By The Sea was able to offer everything we needed. The Conference Center was extremely classy and accomodating, and was perfect for the types of sessions we held. The condos allowed us to group couples 3 to a villa so that they could get to know each other and build strong, lasting friendships. The staff of VBTS was very helpful and met our every request and need. I would definitely recommend this resort as a prime location to host any retreat as it was exactly what we needed to make ours a great success. In fact, two families from our church have booked the resort for family reunions!

Another wonderful stay at Villas

We recently returned to Jekyll and Villas for a long weekend with our daughter, who drove up from Orlando to join us. Three dogs and three humans ... pet-friendliness is only one of the reasons we keep coming back.

We always rent oceanside, but this time, with our daughter along, we got a two-bedroom villa instead of a one-bedroom. It was superb! The downstairs living room was clean and surprisingly spacious.

When we went upstairs, we saw that the master bedroom opened onto a small balcony that afforded one a clear line of sight above the vegetation. We lavished in a wonderful view of the ocean, and at night we left the sliding glass door open and slipped into sleep to the rhythm of waves.

The staff, from the desk to housekeeping and in between, was as courteous and attentive as we've found them in previous visits. We've come to consider Villas By The Sea "our place" at Jekyll, and we're headed back soon.

We should have listened to the bad reviews!!

Oh, I only wish I could give this place a zero score! And I don't understand how it gets excellent reviews.

We should have heeded the advice of the many posters who said negative things about this "resort", but unfortunatley we did not and had a horrible stay.

First, our air conditioning did not work the entire 3 nights we were there. We called the front desk after the first night of unbearable heat and someone came out the first time and flipped a switch on the electric panel, said "It's fixed." and walked out. However, it was not fixed and we spent another night in the heat. We called again the second day and again someone came out and put Freon in the system. Well, this did not work either and we spent our last night without air conditioning.

Second, the resort, including the 3 bedroom villa we stayed in, looked like it hadn't been cleaned, repaired, and updated in years. It was a dump. Dirty, dingy and falling apart. I didn't even want to let my kids sit on the floor. The utensils were disgusting in the kitchen. We went out and bought paper products and did not use any of their plates, cups, etc. during our stay. We checked out several villas, and this was the best one of the bunch, so we were not just unlucky and got a bad villa.

Third, the so-called "adjacent" beach is non-existant. I knew there was not a beach directly at the resort, but the website and brochures say its a short walk from the resort. I called to confirm this with them and they said it was very close and good for kids. I was concerned because we would have 3 small children with us. Driftwood beach is not close and there is not any sand on it! It consists of rocks, and big pieces of driftwood. Kids want and need sandy beaches. We chose this resort because it was close to the beach and we ended up driving to another beach every day.

Fourth, the pool bar/restaurant, which was supposed to be open from 11-2 for snacks, etc. was not open on any day we were there, although it was supposed to be on those days. No explaination or sign. Also, there were 2 towels outside for pool use and they were dirty. We used our own beach towels, that we had brought.

Fifth, nobody here seemed to care about anything. The only slightly helpful person was the person at checkout who said she would not charge us the $5.00 fee for a lost key since we didn't have air conditioning the whole time. Gee, thanks.

We were very upset with the entire resort and the only thing that saved the trip for us was the wonderful wedding we went to at the Jekyll Island Club. The only reason we didn't stay at the Jekyll Island Club was because we needed more space and we thought we would be near the beach at the Villas. The Jekyll Island Club was perfect and definitely a place we would enjoy and be happy with. The rooms were clean, the staff was friendly and helpful and the facilities were perfect. We almost paid as much per night at the Villas as at the JIC and would have had a lot more.

I really think that the Villas by the Sea needs to be more truthful it its advertising. There is no good beach immediatly adjacent to the resort and the villas are not as nice as they have described. They are making themselves out to be like a luxury resort and they are definitely not! We have stayed in many luxury resorts and hotels and this place is the worst.

Sorry to all who went there - and I do hope you will listen to us if you are considering going there. Don't learn the hard way like we did!

Regards!