Macon City Hall
The Classical Revival structure was built in 1837 as the headquarters of the Monroe Railroad & Banking Co., before later serving as City Hall. During the American Civil War it was called into duty as a military hospital beginning in 1863. Its greatest notoriety came the next year, when Governor Joseph E. Brown, fleeing the Union army's advance into Milledgeville, moved the state capital to Macon and set up an office at City Hall, beginning November 18, 1864. The General Assembly met in the building the following February and March, the last legislative session under the Confederate States of America. The building ceased to serve as capitol on March 11, 1865.
An eternal flame burns in front of the main entrance on Poplar St.