Straight from an historical marker:
The Norcross Historic District has been preserved as a 19th century railroad town, and its historical significance was recognized by the US Department of Interior through its listing on the National Register of Historic Places November 21, 1980. The Norcross Historic District sits along the eastern continental divide, which played a significant role in the early transportation and settlement of the area. Originally, the Creek and Cherokee Indians occupied this land and the ridgeline was used as a major transportations route. Two American forts were established in the early 1800's Fort Daniel at Hog Mountain and Peachtree Fort in Atlanta. These two forts were connected by this old Indian trail which became known as the original Peachtree Road. Around 1840, this trail had evolved into a stagecoach route connecting South Carolina and Alabama through Georgia. In 1856 Jonathan Norcross, a former Atlanta Mayor, proposed the creation of the Richmond-Danville railroad to open up Northeast Georgia. On September 12, 1869 the first twenty miles of railroad was completed. On October 16, 1869, John J. Thrasher bought the surrounding 250 acres and a town was born. The town was officially chartered by the Georgia General Assembly on October 26, 1870.