2710 Osborne Rd, Saint Marys, GA 31558

trolleys seafoodtrolleys seafood

Travel Tips for Saint Marys

Howard Gilman Memorial Park

by grandmaR

As we walked from the marina to dinner, we passed this park. It is named The Howard Gilman Memorial Park. The Howard Gilman Foundation donated approximately $1 million dollars for the construction of the waterfront park. (No I don't know who Howard Gilman was.)

Residents of the city were asked to choose which amenities they would like to include. The park officially opened on June 30, 2001. and on July 4th they had the fireworks display there.

The website offers a virtual tour of the park and says:

"Don't miss the Tilden Norris Marsh Walk a short walk from the waterfront park"

Cumberland Island National Seashore Museum

by grandmaR

This museum was under construction when we were there which mades it really off the beaten path as it was not open. The old museum was apparently located on Osborne Street, two blocks from the waterfront, but the new one is on St. Mary's Street, right on the water. It is open to the public every day except Christmas from 1pm to 4pm.

The NPS website says:
"The exhibition uses pieces from the collection to highlight the people of the island. The lives of Native Americans, African Americans, the Carnegie family as well as others who lived on the island in the 19th and 20th centuries are seen in the island environment. The museum was designed to provide a glimpse of Cumberland Island to those who are unable to visit the island. These exhibits were funded through fees paid by island visitors and campers. A small portion of the total collection will be on display, primarily pieces that illustrate life on the barrier island. “These are objects that have never before been on public display,” said curator John Mitchell. “We can learn from these items about how people lived in the past.”"

Visitor Center is open daily 8:00am to 6:00pm, Monday - Sunday. Park facilities are closed on December 25.

Available Facilities
Public restrooms and water fountain

Some confusion in museum names has developed between the Cumberland Island Museum and the Cumberland Island National Seashore Museum.

The Cumberland Island Museum (see URL under "Other") is a separate entity and was incorporated in 1985 to assure the protection and maintenance of the library, archival materials, and natural history collections of Carol Ruckdeschel and C. Robert Shoop. Unlike some museums, The Cumberland Island Museum does not have exhibits or displays, but simply houses and curates the research materials. It is open to the public.

Saint Mary's, Georgia

by Katmosphere

"A great place to visit while waiting for the ferry"

To get to Cumberland Island, you leave from St. Mary's. It's a great place to walk around or get something to eat while you're waiting for the ferry to leave. We noticed a submarine museum, but didn't have time to go in.

Georgia Passage

by grandmaR

We drove back through Thunderbolt and had lunch at Tubby's Tank House. Teeples next door where we have also eaten seems to be abandoned. We each had stew - Bob had oyster stew and I had crab stew ($3.95 each). They brought
us a basket with tarter sauce and cocktail sauce but I can't see what we would have done with it. My crab stew seemed to be cream of celery soup with some crab meat in it and I was somewhat disappointed. Bob felt that his oyster stew terribly good either. Then he had a grilled cheese, and I had cheese grits, and a praline cheesecake. The cheesecake was too rich for me to eat - it had a praline frosting on it that was a quarter of an inch thick. So I scraped the cheesecake
off and took the praline with me.

After lunch, I walked out and took pictures of the big old tree in the middle of the road, and then we drove over to where the old Palmer Johnson marina was. There's still a marina and yard there.

We arrived at Kings Bay about 3:30 and checked in. The room is $47/night and we have a little kitchenette, which I've put my little box of praline in. The internet is $8/night and if I close the browser window, I have to wait 8 minutes and log in again. I'm not sure if I have to pay again - who knows. The internet is way slow.

Because I didn't want to lose the internet, Bob went out onto the base and brought back something for us for dinner. I ate the remains of my praline.

We are looking at the hurricane to see what problems we might have. The Statendam tracking location seems to have it on the east side of Cuba ATM.

I left the computer on all night, but when I got up in the am, it was not logged on. We left the Navy Lodge at about 8:45 and drove (without breakfast) south as fast as possible. Stopped around Palm Coast at 10:21 for gas (car is getting around 35 mpg) at a Chevron - gas was more expensive here. I went to the restroom where I saw that I could buy "personal protection" (i.e. condoms) from a coin operated machine.

I got some juice and two Krispy Kreme donuts.

We stopped at a Steak & Shake for lunch about 12:30, and Bob liked it - pretty fast service. He had a chocolate shake and a single steakburger. I had apple and grape dippers ($2.39), a melt, and a root beer float. We were back on the road by 1300.

Next - Fort Lauderdale, Dania and Port Everglades.

Comments