200 Osborne Street, Saint Marys, Georgia, 31558, United States
Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

More about Saint Marys

orange hallorange hall

seagle's patioseagle's patio

cumberland island national seashorecumberland island national seashore

riverview hotelriverview hotel

Travel Tips for Saint Marys

Mosquito Repellent , the pest love fresh blood,

by Grazina

Your camera always, with plenty of films on hand, very few stores in this area. You wouldn't be a tourist if you didn't look like one. So here I am dress to kill, at least I think I scared off the Mosquitos

St. Mary’s and Kingsland, Georgia

by noidiotsplease

Just across the border from Florida in the Southeastern corner of Georgia sit a couple of towns with dual identities. On one hand, both Kingsland and St. Mary’s, its waterfront sister, are quaint little Southern towns with quiet neighborhoods and quiet, old-fashioned “Main Street” downtowns. On the other hand, the two towns are also separated by Interstate 95, a busy six-lane swath of highway that funnels hordes of sun-seeking tourists to and from their Florida vacationlands. Given this location along the interstate and the state line, the towns themselves are linked by a commercial highway and major exit that sport roadside accommodations, restaurants, and service stations doubling as Georgia “welcome centers” with their maps, trinket souvenirs, and “cheap” gas. In addition to being a draw for tourist dollars, Interstate 95 also benefits the residents of these towns by providing quick access to the Jacksonville metropolitan area and its many employment and recreational offerings. Speaking of employment, the Navy’s Kings Bay nuclear submarine base provides additional fuel for Camden County’s economic engine.

St. Mary’s also has a quaint area along the St. Mary’s River waterfront offering views of Amelia Island, Florida across the way. From here, tourists may also be interested in taking a ferry to nearby Cumberland Island National Seashore. Cumberland Island has unspoiled beaches and is home to wild horses.

Doorway to Cumberland Island

by mtncorg

This is an interesting destination in its own right, but the main reason you will end up here is to take the boat to Cumberland Island - unless you are in the Navy and being stationed and the neighboring King Bay Naval Base. St Marys is situated on the north bank of the St Marys River and is Georgia's last bastion on its southeastern boundary with the Sunshine State - Florida - to the south. The town sprawls towards I-95 to the west, but it is the old core along the river that is the most interesting area to see.

Overnight in April (April 9, 2004)

by grandmaR

"April 9, 2004- Arriving"

Because we left so very early this morning, we arrived at Lang's marina in St. Mary's Georgia at 1345. LOOKEN GOOD, a new trawler, (who passed us at 0900 this morning) was there before us taking on fuel. We circled out in the river while they took 245 gallons. It took them about 45 minutes. We were afraid that we'd not have any fuel left for us, but they were getting gasoline and we need diesel.

After we got fuel and tied up, I checked in with the dock master who reminded me a bit of our niece (and who is new at the job) and paid for 25.1 gallons of diesel and two nights. Our trip was 41.1 sm at an average speed of 6.2 mph.

There is a large power boat on the end of the dock named CARPE DIEM III. The professional captain came over to talk because he went to Camp Calvert in the mid 50s so he knows where Leonardtown is!! Camp Calvert used to be across the street from our house.
CARPE DIEM is waiting for word from the boat owner as to whether to go to St. Augustine or Newfoundland to have the boat modified so he can have dinner parties on deck.

The sailboat between CARPE DIEM and LOOKEN GOOD (not in the photo) is from New Bern NC and the family (with several children including a toddler) are here for Easter and are leaving Monday.

LOOKEN GOOD (right behind us in the picture) has just gotten their boat (which is a Bluewater Coastal Cruiser - seems like an oxymoron to me) and are planning to go to Jekyll on Saturday.

After I checked in, I walked up to the National Park Service headquarters and found that they had no spaces on their boats to Cumberland Island for tomorrow. This is a big disappointment because I really wanted to go. But I knew that reservations were necessary and I guess I should have expected that things would be crowded because of spring vacation.

I went back to the boat and took a nap. I did get up early this morning. When I woke at 5, I was so stiff I could hardly move.

In search of dinner, we walked the two blocks down to Lang's restaurant (which came highly recommended) but even though it was still early, the place was packed and had a wait of 45 minutes. We walked back up the street and ate at the Village Cafe. The no-see-ums are REALLY bad, so we ate inside. I had a spinach salad and a pastrami sandwich and Bob had the shrimp salad platter. I also had coconut ice cream, and Bob had rice pudding with real whipped cream. There was a group with a guy in a wheelchair, and they had to eat outside as the inside wasn't wheelchair accessible. The no-see-ums were making them miserable.

We walked around town a bit and then went back to the boat.

There are two sections to Lang's Marina. The western section is for permanent people. All the transients are at the eastern section. In the eastern section there are only two single hole bathrooms both with showers and the men's is almost always in use. Bob had to use the bathroom this evening and eventually couldn't wait anymore and used the ladies.

Bob was talking about coming down and staying here for the winter, but Langs - I guess in accordance with Georgia law - will only allow live-aboards 30 days a calendar year. This law was passed because of unseaworthy houseboats and other degrading boats on Lake Lanier.

We are bounced around by lots of wakes that reflect off the shores and other boats. I thought it must at least be a submarine making the wakes, but it is just little fishing boats where the wakes are reverberating off the shores.

I suggested to Bob that since we couldn't go to Cumberland Island, we should leave tomorrow afternoon, because there are supposed to be thundershowers in coastal Georgia Sunday afternoon. He didn't think that was necessary.

"April 10, 2004 - Leaving"

But, after listening to the TV weather last night, Bob decided to go this morning to avoid the predicted thunderstorms. He took the trash and put it in the can on the street and walked up to the bakery early hoping to get some bread, but they are closed this week for Easter.

I took a shower and walked up to the Lang's Seafood to get a refund for the second night. They gave it to me in cash. The Captain from CARPE DIEM helped us to cast off about 0845.

Next: Offshore to Charleston