201 Arnold Road, Saint Simons Island, Georgia, 31522, United States

The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Grand old beach club

This lovely old (but completely renovated) hotel on the beach orginally opened in the 1930's as a private beach club but in the next decade opened to the public. It has a grand ambience and the facilities are first rate. The original club building houses the beautiful atrium lobby looking out over the ocean. There are many different kinds of rooms & villas available. We have stayed with friends in 2 bedroom (and 2 bathroom) villas with living room and small kitchen. It is not cheap as prices start at about $100 a person per night but it is well worth the splurge. There are various packages available including golf at some wonderful and beautiful courses. Their dining room always does an excellent job for any meal and the prices there are quite reasonable. I give it a top recommendation.

Unique Quality: Many rooms are oceanfront, they have a very nice pool in addition to the beach just out the door. The dining room overlooks the ocean for a great view.

Sorry for the brochure pic but it is one I couldn't take and shows the place well.

• anaisdreams's Profile Photo

Romance and luxury by the sea

Get an ocean room.. the waves will lull you to sleep and if there is a full moon you stroll right out to the sand from your doorway!
    cozy bar area and xl comfy beds / crisp sheets.definitely the best stay on the island.

Unique Quality: Pools are wonderful and the rooms on the beach are fantastic! Loved the big beds!

Directions: On the Sand

More about King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort

Beautiful & Relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member MidwestLiketoTravel

This resort was wonderful! Great place to go to relax and have a beautiful beach at your fingertips. Very clean and quiet. Maid service never interrupted us. Saint Simons is a wonderful island with plenty to do or not to do. We would recommend this to others and would return ourselves.

Southern Charm meets Beachy Fun

by TripAdvisor Member lissyswim

We found this great resort on accident. While driving to Florida to scout some wedding locations in St. Augustine, we decided to stop for a night and round of golf on St. Simons Island. I fell in love with the island immediately. Everyone was so nice and laid back - the spanish moss and quaint atmosphere were so relaxing. It was the exact feel I wanted for my wedding - We explored resorts on the island and found King and Prince was exceptional! From the moment we pulled up to the spanish style resort, we loved it! The lobby has lush greenery everywhere and an indoor pool. The pools are beautifully maintained, and the beach view can't be beat.
We stayed 2 nights and were able to really get a feel for the resort as a guest. The rooms aren't plushy, but they have a comfortable beach house feel. The resort is secluded, so the beach is very private and non-commercialized. I loved that there weren't wings shops every block and we were able to truly just enjoy the small non-touristy town.
The restaurants around are fab - I highly recommend Chelsea's. It doesn't look like much, but the food is to die for - and from what I hear from the guys who were with us, the golf can't be beat.
Anyone who says the rooms are roach infested is crazy! We had a wonderful stay, and I think if you go with the idea that you are there to have a good time and relax, you'll have fun. If you go there expecting to find plasma tvs and butler service, probably not the resort for you.

Not worth the extra money

by TripAdvisor Member fireranger33

Attended a Wedding Reception and spent the night. Once you get past the beautiful structure, scenery and landscaping, you are left with mediocre staff offering below standard service. It was hard to look around and find any waiter staff that was able to speak english fluently. A 21% tax fee imposed to everything from food and beverages for the event left the bride's family nearly broke. The food quality and overall experience was similar to a visit to Golden Corral. The Hostess for the Reception disrupted the evening several times by changing the Itinerary for the Reception as they saw fit. The entire staff seemed to be in a hurry to get the night over with and send everybody home. If you want to have an unforgettable Wedding and Reception book your event somewhere else. Hopefully a Hotel or venue that is interested in something else other than your money.

Disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member CaddySRX

Maybe it's because I've lived in Georgia all my life and have always heard that the King and Prince Hotel on St. Simons Island was the best there is. I stayed there for the first time this past weekend and although it was a comfortable, decent room, I certainly didn't see what all the hoopla is about. The decor was average and for the money there should've been more conveniences (like a room sized refrigerator and microwave). The bathroom was very small and the lighting in there was almost non-existent. It was like showering in a cave. There was a separate vanity area in the bedroom with a makeup mirror but the mirror was attached to the wall with no extension arm and so poorly placed it was almost impossible to use it without breaking your neck. The room itself was advertised as ocean front - it was if you consider being separated from the beach by a pool area with tall palm trees and a fence which obstructed the view "Ocean front". I don't. Not to mention the housekeepers didn't leave any clean washcloths or replacement rolls of bath tissue either day they "made up the room", and we had to call twice before they brought any to us. I've had better service at a much cheaper hotel. Don't think we'll stay there again. Oh, and I almost forgot that due to a mix-up we found out that our room key would actually open another room. When we reported that to the front desk they were very unconcerned. Doesn't do a lot for making you feel safe.

A Great Escape

by TripAdvisor Member fisherman123123123

I found the King and Prince far exceded my expectations. Greeted by polite staff that carried our bags and answered all of our questions with enthusiasm. The grounds were emaculant, and the weather perfect.
The food was fresh, and starbucks coffee a plesant surprise. I would recommend this hotel for singles, families, and newlywed couples. The wedding I attended was beautiful and everthing went off flawlessly. The food was delicious and the service was great. The staff went out of there way to get us extra things we requested. Thank you King and Prince for a wonderful experience....we will be back for sure!!!

Beautiful beach, nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member samanne

We found the staff to be very pleasant and the hotel clean. Our room was on the small side but was nicely decorated and the bed was very comfortable. The best part of the hotel is the pool and beach access. The pool wasn't crowded and was a nice area to sit and relax. We found that they served drinks poolside but only until mid-afternoon. After that you have to go into the bar to get drinks yourself. I found the food at the bar/pool and restaurant not very exciting. However, the Starbucks on-site was a nice surprise. They have a business center with two PCs for easy internet access (use your room key to get in) so that was helpful. There seemed to be plenty of hotel parking and guest parking. If I went back, I'd love to check out the rooms on the oceanside. Some had little balconies and looked like they would have a great view.

Yikes!!!

by TripAdvisor Member cjmeg

We just got back from this resort & all I can say is "what a disappointment." We were there for a wedding & reception. It was Memorial Day weekend so there was a 3 night min. stay. Expecting quite a bit after seeing a review in Southern Living, seeing the website, & speaking to a few people who knew of the resort, I guess our expectations were of the Ritz Carlton in Amelia Island. HA HA!! We knew that a lower rate had been negotiated on behalf of the wedding party but still expected more out of our 3 bedroom villa.

Let me just preface this by saying that there were "nicer" rooms at the resort.--we did see 3 rooms that were a bit more acceptable--but we were informed that the villas are mostly individually owned & "kept up" by the owners. I'm not sure ours was touched since 1975. This is a very old hotel & the majority of the rooms are just simply not kept up & neither has the plumbing.

I will not go into all the NASTY & gory details of the room but suffice it to say we were finally moved to another room on the 3rd day. We woke up to a horrible smell from one of the sinks one morning & we called maintenance. When he came to "fix" the problem, the plunging on one sink caused an explosion in another sink that backed up to the smelly one--there was a 2 inch layer of gunk all of the bathroom & floor. After calling twice to the manager to let them know the extent of the problems we had been dealing with all weekend, the second room they moved us to was a bit better--at least we didn't feel the need to wear haznet suits or full body armor in the room but it wasn't that much better. They did give us a discount on the rate--and when that subject was mentioned, they acted as if this kind of thing happens all the time so "of course they would adjust the rate".

One postive note was that the concierge arranged for a babysitter for our daughter one night & the babysitter was great!! Trust me--I was very worried after looking at the room & wondering how they were going to do on that one but she was amazing. The pools were nice & the food at the hotel was decent--not great but decent. There are some good restaurants in St. Simons however.

I would highly suggest looking for another place to stay if you're going to St. Simon's. Not much to choose from if you want on the beach. I've heard Sea Island is better or just drive a bit further & go to Amelia Island in Florida or Ponte Vedra Beach. Or if you do go here, inspect the room first before checking in & realize that when they say check in is at 4:00pm--it's closer to 5pm!!

Hope this helps

It was fine.

by TripAdvisor Member Garfish53

We were there in late Dec 2006, so it was the slow season and rates were low. There was a little confusion at check-in (we were given a room for 2 and we needed for 3) but that was fixed quickly. We arrived a little later than expected and the indoor pool (very nice) was getting ready to close. I explained our son had looked forward to swimming all day. They let the pool stay open another 45min to accommodate him and he was very happy. The outside pools looked great, but it was too cold in Dec. The room was very nice with a view to the beach. The beach is narrow (global warming - sea level rising?) at high tide, but the sand is cream colored, which is nicer than Hilton Head's grey sand. Walked along the beach at sunrise. Felt very safe. We were in the older main building.

Comments