Clarion Inn & Suites

Country Inn & Suites Savannah Gateway
CountryInns.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Savannah

union general david hunterunion general david hunter

Fried shrimp with Old Bay seasoned friesFried shrimp with Old Bay seasoned fries

Cockspur Island LighthouseCockspur Island Lighthouse

The Owens-Thomas House in SavannahThe Owens-Thomas House in Savannah

Sight Seeing

by Billwalker

Which is the best trolley tour company to use in Savannah. We are looking for one we can get on and off of and has fairly frequent service.
Thanks you

by grandmaR

We used Old Savannah Tours, http://oldsavannahtours.com/ I have not compared this with other companies, but I was happy with it and it fulfills your requirements.

We did the Historic On/Off Tour
Ticket Prices:
Adults: $23.00
Children: $11.00 (Ages: 12 & Under)
Departure Times:
• Trolleys run 7 days a week 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
• Trolleys operate on a 15-20 minute pickup schedule
Length of Tour:

Tour at your own pace. 90 minutes or ALL DAY. The choice is yours!

I thought it was an excellent tour.

The only problem was - we rode the trolley and got off for lunch. When we picked it back up, I was a bit unhappy to find that I didn't like the driver/guide as well as the one that we'd had in the morning, and I hadn't considered that I wanted to tip that particular person more.

by TexasDave

We prefer Oglethorpe Tours. They charge $10 a person and give you a 90 minute tour. After that you can have unlimited hop-on hop-off privileges for that day. They have set stops all over the old town and they will take you from one of those stops to any other stop you may want to go to- you don't have to follow the whole tour route to get to where you want to go. So it's like having a combination tour and taxi service for the whole day. Their website is www.oglethorpetours.com

Travel Tips for Savannah

Savannah

by cobrioc

Savannah
With its cobblestone streets, historic squares, opulent mansions, and spreading dripping with Spanish moss, Savannah is one of the most distinctive cities in the United States, ranking with New Orleans, San Francisco, and Charleston, South Carolina. The town has a lazy, genteel feel, accentuated by the humid southern climate and laid-back nature of its citizens. There is much to see and do in Savannah, and it serves as a good home base for excursions to other, wilder areas of the Georgia coast.

Officially, the district is defined by the Savannah River and Gaston Street (Forsyth Park) and bordered by East Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. The Victorian Historic District, which stretches south from Forsyth Park for approximately 1 square mile, is undergoing renovation and development that has already swept through the neighborhoods to the north. Some beautiful lodging and delicious dining are found in this area as well.

It is recommended that visitors start their sojourn in Savannah at the Savannah Visitors Center. From here, tourists can get oriented to the town's charms by taking a tour or picking up maps and helpful information. Annual events to be aware of start with St. Patrick's Day. For more than 160 years, this riotous event has celebrated the Irish heritage of the city. The St. Patrick's Day parade is the second largest in the U.S., behind New York, and the celebration is the third oldest, behind New York and Boston. Other events to look out for are annual tours of homes and gardens, which allow a peek into some of Savannah's finer homes that usually are closed to the public.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Touring Savannah
Savannah is ranked in the top 10 best walking cities in the U.S. by Walking Magazine. Most tourists sites are concentrated around River Street, City Market, and the Historic District. River Street and City Market are thriving tourist areas within walking distance of each other that feature a collection of restaurants, clubs, art galleries, and souvenir shops housed in the historic buildings of Savannah's waterfront and City Market.

Savannah Visitors Center/Savannah History Museum
Located in the 1860 Central of Georgia Railroad Building, visitors starting here can get information on lodging, restaurants, and attractions that make Savannah distinctive. Walking, driving, or carriage tours are booked here. The Savannah History Museum offers an excellent introduction to the area's history. Exhibits feature Forrest Gump's bench and the Bird Girl statue on the cover of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, discuss the Siege of Savannah, Savannah-born songwriter Johnny Mercer, and Savannah's railroad history.

Directions: I-16 to Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard Exit 37A/167. At light, go left. Visitors Center is on left.
Activities: Historical touring.
Facilities: Restrooms, gift shop, snack bar.
Dates: Open 7 days a week, 9–5.
Fees: A small fee is charged for the museum.
For more information: Savannah Visitors Center/Savannah History Museum, 301 Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, Savannah, GA 31499. Visitors Center: Phone (912) 944-0455. History Museum: Phone (912) 238-1777

Lush, charming architecture

by Pawtuxet

There is a wealth of Greek Revival architecture here... but other styles are scattered throughout the district as well. If you are a lover of historic architecture you'll go bonkers trying to see everything. Better not be driving while you are looking. Best to walk and see it all.

Largest Globe Around

by TexasDave

Just West of the intersection of Abercorn St. and DeRenne Ave. is this giant steel sphere. It was originally fabricated to be an emergency tank for natural gas in the 1950's. It was later painted to resemble a large globe (60 ft high)with a massive hurricane bearing down on Savannah. The present owner of the property, a mortgage company, has its name on it for advertisement.

good irish atmosphere:)

by PA2AKgirl about Kevin Barry's Pub

it's convenient, it's fun, there's live music. good beer, good people, good times had by all. What more do I need to say? I like this place a lot. I bet it's crazy on St. Patrick's Day...I've heard that Savannah has either the 2nd or 3rd largest celebration in the US. I didn't notice a particular dress code. I was wearing courdoroys, a tank top and sandals. That seemed to be okay...I don't know about at night, though--we got there in the the evening and stayed for a long long time...I didn't pay attention to dress attire at that point.

Inferior Service, Inflated Prices

by RedhatDiva about Fernando's of Martha's Vineyard

A very miserable dining experience here. We had reservations for a group of 22 senior ladies. We were assured prior to the evening that we would be on the first floor. Upon arrival, we were upstairs in a building with no elevator and several in our party found it an extreme hardship. Before the event, our reservation was lost (or there was some confusion) and it was only because of diligence on our part that we got there at all. I wish now we had not. Our reservation was for 5:30, so we could make an 8 p.m. theatre call. We were served by one waiter, whom we learned was a new hire. Dinners were mixed up (one person receiving the wrong dinner, one dinner fixed that no one ordered). But the worst came when we finished eating, about 7 p.m. Checks THEN had to be prepared---the waiter actually came around and asked everyone what they had. Then he couldn't get the upstairs cash register to work (or didn't know how). We had to stand on the narrow staircase, all 22 of us, while he attempted to work the one downstairs. Which he couldn't work, either. The last of our party finally got out of the restaurant at 7:55 and were late to the theatre. Fifty-five minutes to check out! The food was not spectacular, either. I would warn anyone about eating at this place!

Comments