Doubletree Hotel Historic Savannah

DoubleTree by Hilton Savannah Historic District
Orbitz.com Priceline.com Booking.com

Costs 47% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Perfect Location

Nice hotel with good amenities. I loved the location. The front desk staff were uninformed and kind of clueless. Be prepared to pay $25 a day for MANDATORY valet. Overall 3 out of 5 stars, I would recommend this hotel to friends.

Unique Quality: Nice pool...and live band in the restaurant

More about Doubletree Hotel Historic Savannah

Great rooms

by TripAdvisor Member Lisa252

the rooms here were so nice! Huge carved bedposts, high ceilings with crown molding, tv in armoire, nice desk and lamps---no "motel" furniture. the beds were very comfy and pretty with 4 plump pillows per bed. Very nice hotel.

A Very Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member StuckInDaytona

We stayed here for one night on our way to Florida. This was a very nice hotel. The rooms were great. They were spacious rooms with high ceilings. The outdoor pool and hot tub were nice. The hotel is in close walking distance to food, shopping, and the riverfront.

Not Enough for the Money

The Radisson has one great quality, LOCATION. We parked our car when we arrived and didn't call for it again until we left. Since hurricane Frances ruined our original plans for our 10 year anniversary we ended up making last minute reservations in Savannah. The hotel was extremely clean and the staff was very nice, but for the money a B&B would have been better. Our bill topped $500. for 2 nights. The $13. a day valet was steep, the TV had about 10 free channels and everything else was $9.95, music $9.95, movies $9.95, sport channels $9.95 etc. Our 1 local call cost us, there was no complimentary breakfast and there were 3 signs in the room asking guests to please reuse the towels!! For $500. and only 2 nights I sure hope the staff is paid well. The room was real clean, but next time we'll pass and choose one on the nice B&B's in the area.

Never again !!

I have always had fairly good luck with the Doubletree chain in the past. The Savannah member is one that I was NOT happy with. When checking in, I was advised that this hotel had just changed from being a Radisson--which is not a positive in my book. NOT a good value. The room although clean was tattered and shabby. Too much money for too little! The hotel staff were members of the "could not care less" club when presented with several concerns. The restaurant has ONLY buffet available for breakfast--I like my breakfast but can not make use of 13.00 worth of food in the morning. Again, a scrambled egg and a piece of toast would have cost 13.00--NOT acceptable. I will not be returning to this property and highly advise anyone not emotionally wedded to the name "Doubletree" to steer clear of this one when planning a trip to Savannah!!! :)

Great hotel, but get the right room

by TripAdvisor Member RiverDays

We stayed for 3 nights, the first night got in late, so were given a noisy room, stinking of old cigarettes that was an "upgrade" because it had a whirlpool tub and the room was bigger. But at least we had a room in a hotel that was overbooked. The next day we transferred to a smaller standard room, but away from the busy street and not smelling like stale smoke. It's a great location, and reasonably nice hotel. Their $12 breakfast buffet is definitely not worth doing. If you are lucky enough to be there on a Sunday morning, do go next door to the first African American Baptist Church. You will be treated to some amazing hospitality, a display of fine hats, gospel music that really gets going, and preaching that can't help but make a huge impression. This was one of the best experiences in our week in the South, and the people of this church really do seem to genuinely welcome visitors. Also, the hotel's concierge, John, was most helpful in arranging local trips. I don't usually use concierge's, but John is someone worth talking to. Overall, I'd return to the Doubletree (formerly Radisson) in Savannah.

Radisson to Doubletree... Not a Good Idea

by TripAdvisor Member tgw

This was my second trip to this particular hotel, and knowing that it had switched brand names from Radisson to Doubletree did not seem to be a problem to me. My first visit here, when it still had the Radisson name it was truly a fine first-class hotel. On my return trip recently, under the new Doubletree name, I was much more dissatisfied. Everything seems to have gone downhill since then. Rooms used to be immaculate and grand, but now appear to not be well-maintained. The staff on my first visit was 4 or 5-star quality (as the hotel used to be a 4-star). The new staff is 2-star at best. However, the location is obviously still good and close by to many attractions, restaurants, etc. in the historic district. I believe rates have dropped somewhat as well with the new management so I would not have a problem staying here again for the right price. I suppose I was just let down by my higher expectations from the marvelous hotel that used to be.

BEFORE DOUBLETREE - Review for 7/04

My husband and I stayed at the Radisson in the historic District of Savannah with my parents in July 2004 before it was a doubletree. The hotel was beautiful, the rooms and linens were plush and the beds grand. Everything was clean and room service came while we were out. The staff was very friendly. But since that's probably irrelevant now I'll tell you about the location of the hotel and the area there.

The hotel is located conveniently to the historic district IF you like to walk. It was sort of an issue for us because my father has a lot of health problems and can't walk very far but if it were me and my husband it would have been no problem at all. The Riverfront is easy to access. The trolley's and tours will pick you up at the hotel (across the street at the Western) but you will have to drive to most restaurants. We walked to Lady and Sons and my dad about had a heart attack. BTW - Lady and Sons - DELICIOUS!

Savannah is a beautiful city with plenty to do but unfortunatly the historic district is sandwiched between two housing projects which bring in a bad element. They tend to congregate in certain squares (Franklin Square...don't go there at night) and they walk through the historic district to get to the other project. There's also an issue of there not being a police presence around. We were there 3 days and saw NO police. My friend said it's an issue and that's why they have a high crime rate there.

I recommend the trolley tour with stops and the ghost trolley tour. I DO reccomend making reservations and then finding out where some of their first stops are because regardless of whether you make a reservation or not - if they fill up before they pick you up at the hotel (and doubletree was the last stop for ALL the trolleys we took) you may not get a seat. We had to reschedule our first ghost tour after waiting around till 7:30 because they were so late and then when they got there there was no room!

But the area is beautiful and the islands are fun too. The crab Shack on Tybee was yummy - get the big ole platter! You'll be glad you did! Mrs Wilkes Boarding house - Delicious! The Candy store right around the corner from Doubletree is dangerous (as in you'll find yourself eating a lot of candy and goodies!). Avoid The City Market Grill - we waited an HOUR for a sandwhich. The Railway museum is interesting as is the lighthouse/fort on Tybee. There's lots to see and do - the squares are beautiful. The city is just enchanting despite some of it's drawbacks. We had a good time and will definitely go back...although not to the doubletree after reading some of it's reviews since it's changed hands!

Felt that Southern Hospitality from front door to the back...

We were fortunate to be able to get a great rate (during non-event week) through our travel program and it was worth every dime. They showed us the 'famous southern hospitality' from the front door all the way to the back. Everyone was there to give any assistance when needed. The cookies were grrrreat with the coffee by the fireplace. How could you help but feel right at home. We've learned that you get what you pay for. The small fee for valet parking was worth it. If you want peace and quiet without the luxuries of being dowtown and being able to walk every where to see the beauty of the city without a car, you need to go to the country and get a cabin in the woods and leave the city folks. Being from the south, we love people to show the 'true hospitality'. Thanks for a great stay!

Good Hotel Left A Bad Taste

My wife and I stayed for three nights beginning March 24, 2005. The hotel was for the most part all that we expected. The one surprise came when we checked in. The room given us was a great deal smaller than we believed we were supposed to get. The room was so small that the bathroom sink counter top would not begin to hold simple items like tooth brushes, shampoo, etc. I was furious. The next morning as we walked to the elevator, my wife peeked into a room that was open for house keeping. She called me over and showed it to me. It was at least twice as big as the room we were in. I proceeded to the front desk and asked if the bigger room was the same price as the small room we were in. The person at the front desk said "yes". So, I requested that they move us to one of the bigger rooms. They agreed to do so.

I still can't believe that they try to cheat people in the way they tried to cheat us. I am never going to reserve a room at an up scale hotel again. Instead, I'm going to stick with Holiday Inn and Best Western where you know what you are getting and they don't play games.

Mike Mueller