11520 Abercorn St., Savannah, Georgia, 31419, United States

More about Savannah

e-Book Cover Imagee-Book Cover Image

Beachfront HotelsBeachfront Hotels

me, Paula Deen's son, and my daughterme, Paula Deen's son, and my daughter

Looking out through a port.Looking out through a port.

Coming to Savannah in 2 weeks

by sherae

My sister and I are travelling to Savannah in 2 weeks. I have never been on a "big vacation" like this before and was wondering if anyone could give us some tips on out of the way places to eat, sights that you might recommend seeing, and things to do while we are there for 3 days.
Thanks!

Re: Coming to Savannah in 2 weeks

by OiKnow

Savannah is one of my favorite southern cities. Take a long walk along River Street popping in and out of the shops and galleries and watching the river trafic. Have lunch at the Pirates House. Explore some the great antique stores.

Enjoy! (Wish I was there!)

David

Travel Tips for Savannah

Enjoy the slow pace of life...

by richiecdisc

Enjoy the slow pace of life that is the south by walking at a leisurely pace through the canopy of trees that line the wide streets and are strategically broken up with fine squares that make you realize that city planners seemed to know more about life then than they do now... I slumped down in the hot car seat, a bit dejected. The old Honda Civic had never failed me before, but here I was, stranded on my way back to Savannah from Tybee Island, off the coast of Georgia. Though the eleven-year-old car had 215,000 miles on it that spanned from Key West, Florida to Fairbanks, Alaska, I had maintained it well and it had never failed me before. We arrived in Savannah late on a Saturday afternoon with plans of spending a few hours before making our way towards Charleston. When we decided to stay, there was little in the way of inexpensive accommodation and in fact, little available at all aside from very seedy places on the edge of town. We got a nice room about a half hour up the road towards Charleston and I suggested going back to Savannah the next day and paying for another night in this room as it would allow us to see Savannah and then be well on our way to our next destination early the following day. It seemed like a great idea at the time.

Arriving early on Sunday morning, Savannah seemed a much more peaceful place. It was easy to secure free parking and we enjoyed strolling the magnolia-strewn streets. The scent of the south in spring was in the air with calm respite from the summer heat in the canopy of trees shading the street, culminating most magnificently in the many manicured squares that dot the sleepy city. With the early start and with some things being closed on Sunday, we decided we had seen enough of the city and headed to Tybee Island, Savannah’s beachside resort, about 45 minutes away. We were disappointed with its brown ocean and crowded beachfront and the trip seemed a waste of time. Little did we realize how much time we would lose. On the way back, we both noticed the smell emanating from the engine and finally the temperature gauge shooting towards the upper extremity with alarming speed. I pulled over to find my radiator taxed and smoking. I called AAA for road service and they said someone would be there in an hour and that’s when I started to slump in the hot car seat and where this story started.

Charlie arrived and apologized not so much for being late as for the fact that there was little he could do for us. It was Sunday and there wasn’t a mechanic open for a hundred miles. He then said he couldn’t tow us more than five miles but he would follow us back into town if we liked. We made it all of a mile before it overheated again. I asked him where his shop was and he said about ten miles south of Savannah, and about fifteen miles from where we stood stranded. He said he’d bring us back there for free so with little choice, we loaded up the Civic on the truck and hopped in. He took us to a couple motels near the shop but he couldn’t bear to leave us there. They were run down crack houses and certainly no place to bring a pretty young lady visiting from another country. He brought us back to his shop and left us off outside the gate as he had two calls while carting us around the last two hours. He said he’d come back as soon as he could and even bring us into Savannah if he had the time. We sat tight as it was getting dark and the area on the main street didn’t seem too safe. He finally did return and opened up the compound for us to lock the car inside with all of our belongings. He then drove us to Savannah and was willing to take us from motel to motel, but I told him to go as we would find something and he’d done more than enough already. We were safe where we were and the worst thing that would happen is we’d pay for an expensive room or sleep in the bus station. I managed to find a room at the local hostel and we resigned ourselves to another day in Savannah.

We enjoyed the next morning, leisurely having breakfast on the balcony and not in a rush. I called the mechanic who explained the radiator and fan were shot but that it would be done by late afternoon. One day turned into two and the radiator turned into a water pump and timing belt. It was time for drastic measures so we picked up some shampoo, a razor and shaving cream, and a comb. Just because we were stuck wearing the same clothes for three days, there was no reason for us to smell like it too. We got ready for our first full-fledged night on the town. Okay, even I was tiring of the brewpub by this point but we weren’t exactly dressed for the Velvet Elvis, a local alternative club, with a line running up the street of blackly bedecked and carefully scruffy collegians waiting to get in. Beige Bermudas and Birkenstocks were just not going to make it and that’s what I had been sauntering around town in for three days. After a few beers, we went back home, anticipating an early start the next day.

The car was ready around two and they send a truck around to pick us up at, where else, the brewpub. The car was still in one piece and working like a charm. Okay, it cost me about $850 but I had learned a couple of things in the process. First, I found out that the girl I’d fallen in love with in Germany was not just another pretty face, but someone that would stick by me when things got rough, not make me feel inadequate for it, and best yet, laugh about and enjoy our situation better than could be expected. And second, I leaned to never underestimate human kindness. Charlie could have played it by the book, and said, he couldn’t tow us more then five miles. He could have dropped us off at a dive, with our car in dodgy surroundings, but he didn’t. He went beyond his duty and did what a person really should do. He made sure we were okay and safe. I couldn’t make a big deal over it at the station as he had perhaps overstepped his job and done something wrong in driving us around for hours. I never got to say more than a big thank you to him when he dropped us off in Savannah, but he could see from the smiles on our faces, we were more than just grateful and I hope that whenever he passes those seedy hotels, he remembers the couple that he knew didn’t belong there, and made the extra effort to make sure they either. Thanks again, Charlie.

Skidaway Island

by brkilbourne

The Science Museum is a wonderfull place for children, with an aquarium, short trail system and picnic tables. Can be added to visit to the Skidaway Island State park ( camping, trails, pool. or a walk in Wormsloe
Plantatation

Fort Pulaski

by grandmaR

During the War of 1812, it became clear that the United States needed a defense system. On March 15, 1830, the United States government took 150 acres here in Chatham County GA for the construction of a new fort. Construction began in early 1829, initially overseen by an ailing Major Samuel Babcock of the Army Corps of Engineers. Babcock's failing health made it necessary for a new West Point graduate, Robert E. Lee, to oversee the construction of the main drainage ditch, an earthen embankment and dikes, and buildings.

The fort had to sit on a firm foundation; a very difficult task in such a marshy environment. Workers drove the pilings on which the fort sits 70 feet into the soft mud of Cockspur Island. Brick arches were then built on top of these pilings to support the dirt, cannons, and platforms of the terreplein. Fort Pulaski was initially designed to be a two-story fort with three tiers of guns, but conditions made such a design impractical. Fort Pulaski was constructed as a masonry fortification with 5 walls, each of which was from 7 to ll feet thick and 32 feet high. It was built to include 67 arched casemates, used for housing soldiers and storing supplies, that supported a 30 foot wide terreplein on which the cannon platforms were placed.

Because he was so familiar with the strengths of the fort, General Lee advised the young Confederate fort commander to pull his troups back from Tybee Island because he thought they would be safer inside the fort..

But in April of 1862, Union troops on Tybee Island directed rifled cannon fire at the fort breaching the southeast angle and giving them immediate access to the gunpowder magazines. A cannon shot that landed there would blow up the fort and kill everyone in it, so the commander surrendered. The accuracy and range of the rifled cannon rendered brick fortifications obsolete. The damage from that cannon fire has been left visible.

Individual Fees
$3.00 - 7 Days for 17 years of age and older

SCHOOL GROUPS and Golden Age Pass holders Free

Six Pence Pub

by SFHulaGIrl about Six Pence Pub

This cozy and casual little British pub was featured in Julia Roberts' film "Something to Talk About." There's both indoor and outdoor seating, as well as the signature red British telephone booth outside. A fair amount of locals seem to go here. I ended two evenings here having drinks and a bite to eat. The first evening I merely had a side order of egg noodles, which were fine, with a few beers. Someone else was kind enough to pick up my tab, so I have no idea what the damage was. On the second evening, I was in the mood for a chicken salad sandwich, which was good; my bill was $9.58, including tax. The moderate crowd was friendly. The young female bartender on Wednesday night was quite affable and on top of all the orders. The female bartender on Thursday night was a bit less so.

A Must Miss

by DarinFl about The Lady & Sons

Let me start by saying that I am a Paula Dean fan. I love real southern cuisine in general and Paula’s recipes in particular, which made my visit to The Lady & Sons all the more disappointing.

I have no idea what has motivated all the positive reviews of this restaurant. I suppose it is possible that the menu items are of a different quality than those on the buffet so many reviewers have raved about. I was excited to learn that a buffet was available as I was hungry and ready to dig into some food of the style Paula cooks on her show. But after a ridiculously long wait I learned that there was no such food to be found. Every one of the buffet items was bland beyond belief.

The chicken was not as good as the late-day drumsticks from a grocery store deli; the macaroni and cheese was watery garbage that lacked the slightest hint of cheese flavor; the biscuits were no better than those from a tube and the fish and veggies were no better.

However, the Gooey Butter Cake was one of the best deserts I’ve ever had and was probably worth suffering through a long, hot wait and a bland, forgetful meal of items masquerading as tasty comfort food.

There are many great places to eat in Savannah, but this one is nothing but a gimmicky tourist trap not worth your time or money. If you aren’t going for a dessert or to purchase one of Paula Dean’s cookbooks, this place is a must miss.

Comments