20 Johnston Street, Savannah, Georgia, 31405, United States
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Savannah

Condos at water edgeCondos at water edge

sad facial expressionsad facial expression

City HallCity Hall

Students' shopStudents' shop

Voodoo

by GUYON

I read Savannah is the country of Voodoo (at least for USA) but where can I find tracks of it in the city : museum, shops, exibits, cemetery, etc...
Thanks
RAY

by Travmad

I understand there is so voodoo there. I suggest asking around at the shops near the docks. There seems to be a lot of info in that area, and it's the main tourist area.

by VA_Dave

I think you have to go further South to New Orleans
for Voodoo, but Savannah has plenty of ghosts:

by yooperprof

If you haven't already, do read the book - Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. (Not voodoo, but I hear that the Lady Chablis is still making regular appearances at her club.)

Voodoo in Savannah is known as "root". Check out this article from the NY Times:

by supercarys

I didn't see any signs of voodoo while I was there. New Orleans is the 'voodoo capital' as far as I am aware.

by brkilbourne

I live in Savannah. Yes there are still some vodoo practitioners in Savannah & surrounding islands. I was waiting to pick up an employee about a year ago at 6:30 Am at a busy intersection when I saw a lady in bright yellow & pink dress, matching handbag & umbrella. She got out of the car she had pulled up and started dancing and chanting. Now you probably will not see this type of thing and usually if you do your in a dangerous neighborhood.
BK

RE: RE: Voodoo

by Rudini

Voodoo is still very much alive and well in Savannah it's just not on public display with kitchy "Voodoo dolls" and crap for sale in every shop to tourists and whatnot and thank GOODNESS for that. What I have been told is that it all went completely underground when the whole "Midnight" craze brought the curiosity-seekers out in force (especially SCAD students) who wanted to play around with voodoo and were hitting the shops to try to buy ingredients for spells and incantations they had no idea what they were messing with. This is like giving matches and gasoline to toddlers to play with. The shops that were there promptly closed. The resouces are still there, of course, but only for those who actually belong to the religion and know what they are doing. I respect the fact that Savannah, unlike New Orleans, held the religion and practice of voodoo sacred and did not allow it to be used as a plastic, cheap tourist attraction. When it comes to voodoo, for those who are not true practioners of the religion, the less you know about it the better off you are.

Travel Tips for Savannah

Public Buildings

by grandmaR

under constructon

The U.S. Post Office has Massive Georgia marble and granite building with intricate friezes under eaves. Many architectural ideas are combined here. Notice the tower with its marble arches and intriguing details.

U.S. Customs House - 1-5 E. Bay Street

Greek revival style building designed 1848-52 by John Norris. An austere granite temple with Tower-of-the-Winds portico.

Remember that you are in...

by Arubasun.

Remember that you are in Savannah Georgia so service can be slow. People in Savannah are very friendly and warm so do not let the slowness irritate you, remember you are on vacation. People in Savannah are also well mannered and they greet you at a propper manner so you should greet them back. One of the mistakes made by many travelers is to compare Savannah with Atlanta, remember both cities have their own character and ambition.

Tybee Island is about 10 miles...

by JaimeMO

Tybee Island is about 10 miles outside of Savannah. A quaint summer island surrounded by marsh land. A great spot to catch some birds that you can't find in the north. We attended in the spring and it was quiet, with just a handful of year round locals.

english pub

by doug48 about churchill's

located on west bay street across the street from the hyatt hotel is churchill's pub. in my opinion the best pub in savannah. great atmosphire and a great beer selection. a must stop on a pub crawl in central savannah. casual.

Homestyleee

by aqazi about Mrs Wilkes' Dining Room

We'd heard abou this place from our guide book and made a point of dropping in for lunch in June 1997. We were promised traditional homestyle southern cooking and we weren't dissapointed. It's quite a funny place with a mixed crowd. When we got there we were seated around big dining tables so that everyone was split up to encourage us to get to know eachother. This was a really good idea and considering most of our table was made up of senior ladies my mate and I were quite spoilt. You do have to observe ettiquette here (no food fights) and we even had to say grace which I found most amusing and had to bite my lip to stop myself from laughing! The food was amazing and Mrs Wilkes was really nice. My mate bought a cookery book which she signed, which he probably gave to his mum.

I just check the website and found that Mrs Wilkes had passed away but the place is still open continuing the tradition. Every thing was yummy from starters to pudding.

Comments