Hilton Savannah DeSoto

Orbitz.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Costs 67% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Priceline in the Historic District

I used Priceline with a bit of trepidation in Savannah, it seemed certain that I was going to get the Hilton DeSoto after checking on Biddingfortravel and the reviews weren't all glowing. But it ended up being the perfect location for us, it was close to Clary's where we had breakfast the day we left, it was close to the Six Pence Pub where we met our ghost tour and it was close to all the atmospheric squares that dot Savannah. The Riverfront area wasn't more than 10-15 minutes on foot. I had to bid a bit higher than some of the bids I saw on BFT, maybe because it was Halloween weekend. I finally got it for $80 per night + tax, still a bargain in comparison to the rates I saw on the hotel websites or Expedia. Parking is an additional $13 per night, there probably is cheaper parking in the area but I really couldn't be bothered.

Unique Quality: Although I wouldn't have been overly impressed if paying full price, for the rate I got the room was perfectly fine. We got a room with two double beds that were comfortable. Plenty of hot water, good water pressure. Toiletries included shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap and mouthwash.

More about Hilton Savannah DeSoto

A verry Resonable Hotel! Not at all what others say

First let me tell you that the rooms are quite small but while your on Vacation how much time do you spend in your room anywayse.They just went under and entire change of staff. The front Desk to the Bellhop was great!If you need to know anything about the area Ask Michael and he will shure to get you in the right direction. The Bar and restraunt were abit pricey for the food but hey what do you expect from a Hotel. The room. The most comfortable beds you'll ever sleep on in Savannah.We didn't use the pool however because it was too cold but we did use the Gym. Not much equipment to be offered but they do give you a free pass to the Down town Atletic Club.The business center is over priced but is verry nice. They do have a gift shop if you have frogotton to buy anyone a gift. A few Suggestions. Learn your Landpoints on tours. And don't go down Mlk Blvd. Verry Dangerous not even a poliece man goes down that street. Other than that don't listen to these people that have talked crap about this place because it's not true. Thumbs up Savannah Hilton Desoto for Making my stay the best eva

Not a 4 star

by TripAdvisor Member Sambo1969

This Hilton was disappointing. Room was adequate though nothing to write home about. Service was OK. There are several other superior hotels in the historic district to choose from. Hotel is several blocks from River Street.

Overrated, Definitely not a 4 STAR

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a weekend after Thanksgiving 2005. All the pics make it looks so luxurious, fancy, and o la la it's a Hilton. I don't think so, it felt like a Motel 6 with a nice lobby.
The breakfast is a good buffett style, and it's in a good location. But take my advice, if you're going to Savannah stay at the Grand Hyatt on the river, same price, better location, better everything.

Better Hotels for the Price

by TripAdvisor Member Terriv

Visited this Hilton for two nights on business. Hilton Gold VIP and was given access to the 13th floor for a simple but free continental breakfast and evening drinks ($2 each).
Hotel is very old and in need of updating. Was given a room on the third floor but had to change because a smoking room was needed. Placed in a smoking room on the second floor which also went from bad to worse on the quality of the room. No ash trays in the room and no coffee condiments. No tea offered, either. Very small, dirty bathroom had a pedestal sink which offered no room to place toiletries except for on the back of the toilet or on a very small shelf above the toilet. Hair dryer was located only after searching on the closet shelf. Writer is 5'3" and felt like the ceiling above the bath tub was very low. Windows opened to a roof (no screens) and felt quite unsafe. Last day there the entire hotel smelled like a sewer. Not pleasant. Courtyard by Marriott down street much cleaner and nicer.

Decent but way overpriced!

I just came back from a business conference and was not impressed. First though let me start with the good:

-The hotel in of itself is beautiful. Great location!
My room was on the 12th floor with great views of the city. The pillows were comfortable. The restaurant breakfast and lunch buffets are reasonable (and delicious) at $9.99 each. The lobby staff, valets and restaurant staff was very attentive. The complimentary continental breakfast for club level was adequate.

And now for the not so good:

-The room is just basic and standard- nothing fancy at all about it. I was supposed to have an 'executive suite' but it was just a small one-room with a desk, chair and bed. The bathroom was also quite small. My blanket had stains on it. The room didn't smell fresh.

-Housekeeping did not do a thorough job on my room the second day. One of my wastebaskets was emptied but there was no plastic bag replaced in it. The hotel provides 2 bottles of complimentary water, but one of the bottles I received had been previously opened. The bathroom floor was not cleaned- there was still hair all over.

Overall, I don't think the price of $214.00 per night was worth it. I've stayed in better hotels for less than half of that amount. As a Hilton Honors and Club member, I was thoroughly disappointed.

Nothing by nice

I was leary after reading the reviews to stay here but thought I would give it a try. I stayed there March 1st. I was a Gold VIP member and was given access to the 13th floor where continental breakfast and snacks with cocktails ($2.00) were served. Our room was on the 13th floor and we looked out over the city and you could see the river. The room was average size with 2 double beds and a sitting area. The bathroom was large with a full counter and plenty of room to get dressed. It was clean and the staff was very helpful and friendly. We had a problem with the thermostat and the maintenance people were there within 15 minutes. The front desk was helpful with information about the city and what to see and do. It was a little noisy during our stay but that was due to some construction in front of the hotel. That could not be helped. I had a very enjoyable stay and would return there. Thanks for making our trip a memorable one.

Great location!

by TripAdvisor Member Zimbi

We stayed in a king room on the 12th floor on March 26 & 27. The room was clean, comfortable and had a fabulous view of the city from both the room and balcony. The bathroom and dressing area were large, 2 terry cloth robes were in the closet and the bath amenities from Crabtree & Evelyn.

Everyone at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. Daily housekeeping was excellent, as was our dinner in the hotel's Magnolia Restaurant.

The hotel location is excellent and we walked everywhere downtown during our stay. We were very glad we stayed here and not at a hotel on River Street which is extremely noisy because of constant tractor trailer traffic. The Hilton is central to everything and we were able to walk anywhere within 10 minutes or less. We discovered a great pizza place, The Mellow Mushroom, half a block away from the Hilton. It's a college hangout but has the best pizza, salads and sandwiches at great prices.

The concierge level lounge on the 13th floor always had friendly staff, although seating was limited and we had to wait for a table every time we went for continental breakfast and evening cocktails.

We enjoyed our mini-vacation at the Hilton, and would definitely stay there again.

Savannah

by jejphotos

"About Savannah"

I had been wanting to travel there for a couple of years and the wife and I finally decided to load up my son in the jeep and go.Savannah should be on the to-do list before you die,where have I heard that. The Hilton Savannah Desoto was the best place to stay because of its location,which is in the middle of everything that you would want to visit.Parking was not free of course,(around $15.00 per night),but it was better than being ticketed for overtime parking on the street.I would suggest walking since everything is so close,but if you can’t walk,you can always pull your car out of valet and drive,(parking is very hard to find later in the day at some of the lots and on the street),or take some of the ricksha’s,cabs,or buses,(tour and city transportation), that are available.

Just walking the streets of Savannah and viewing the homes adorned in Colonial and Victorian architecture could take you back in time.The parks throughout the city, such as Columbia Square, Chippewa Square,where part of the Forrest Gump movie was made, and of course Forsyth Park,which is Savannah’s largest park in the Historic Dist. and home to the great white fountain that was purchased for a mere $250 are just a few of the stopping points on your journey to discover Savannah.

Take a walk along River Street during the day if you have children to check out the shops, and at night if you want to get a good idea of what the night life is like in Savannah.If you’re thinking about stopping in and eating at Paula Deans Restaurant,(The Lady and Sons),make reservations at least 4-5 hours ahead of time,if not the day before.

The best way to see all of the attractions in Savannah is to take a trolley tour around the city via Old Savannah Tours.All the history is rolled up into a approx. 2 hr tour, which is a hop on hop off tour.I always take tours like these,when available, when I go into unfamiliar territory that I’m shooting photos of for a magazine or book assignment,it gives you some lay of the land,and then I proceed on foot.

My book, "Walking Savannah and Beyond" is due out in mid 2008. I'll keep everyone updated of where it may be available.

You can see more of my photos at http://www.johnstonphotos.org

Good B&B for Woman Traveling Alone in Savannah

by BLeeB

Hi,
I am planning to take the train from Jacksonville, FL to Savannah. Does anyone know of a B&B in a safe location that would be good for a woman alone to stay at? I am hoping to find a place that may pick me up at the train station as well. Any other tidbits of info. in re/to where a woman alone in Savannah should go/not go would be appreciated. I will be there for 2 nights. Thank you!

Re: Good B&B for Woman Traveling Alone in Savannah

by SusieQQ

I frequently travel alone and I prefer large hotels where there is a high level of security. So, when I went to Savannah I stayed at the Hilton DeSoto. I did not feel safe walking after dark in Savannah.

Re: Good B&B for Woman Traveling Alone in Savannah

by brkilbourne

Any of the hotels on Bay street West of MLK. Its not safe for a woman to be walking at night in downtown Savannah, come to think of it for men either and sometimes beast. Just stay with the crowds & you will be OK

Comments