Holiday Inn Express Savannah Historic District

Holiday Inn Express Savannah-Historic District
IHG Orbitz.com Agoda.com

Costs 63% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Fantastic Hotel

I spent one night here with my sister a couple of weeks ago. We called the night before and spoke with "Randolph" a wonderful guy on the desk. He assured us there were rooms available and made the reservation for me.

Parking is Valet - $12/day They park your car in the municipal lot next to the hotel and hold your keys for you. I am sure you could opt out of them keeping the keys. When you are ready to leave, you just give them your parking ticket and they bring your car around.

Beds and pillows are better than the Westin's "dreambed" in my opinion.

A/C is very effective and you never feel it blowing on you.

Breakfast - good and free.

This is the only hotel in Savannah I would ever stay at now.

Unique Quality: In the historic district. Close to everything from historic theaters to the River Boat Cruise and of course the day and night trolley tours.

Rooftop pool and of course great view

VERY comfortable.

Directions: Historic district on Bay Street between Drayton and Abercon

• Wonderful location

Very clean and comfortable hotel.Great linens , carpets and bathroom.Flat screen tv in room.
    Very attentive and friendly staff, great comfortable lobby and clean spacious dining room.
    Roof deck pool and heated spa tub.Small exercise room.
    Continental breakfast included

Highly recommended

Unique Quality: Walking distance of everything in historic district and easy short drive to beaches.
    Easy safe parking adjacent

More about Holiday Inn Express Savannah Historic District

Holiday Inn Express[downtown]

by TripAdvisor Member turkeyroost3

we stayed there on 3/16-3/18 and caught the tailend of st pats day celebration along river;it was fun. the hotel has an excellent and very helpful staff. also the hotel is clean and quiet as our room faced the parking garage. the only downside i seen was that you had to park in a municipal lot and it costs us an extra $10 a day. i would overall recommend this hotel as the location is excellent for walking the towns squares.

Watch out for the "riverview" request

by TripAdvisor Member summernole

The hotel was pretty nice but I had requested a riverview and had a horrible view of the warehouse, port buildings on the river. I could barely see the river across the bridge. The noise from the street below was not too good either. Other than that the hotel staff were very polite and kind and we enjoyed Savannah. The hotel is very near the Riverwalk. The facility is nice.

Still Just a Holiday Inn...

by TripAdvisor Member Ann06

This hotel opened approximately three months prior to our stay, which was over Easter Weekend, 2008. Location is very convenient. Hotel staff are pleasant and check in was efficient and accurate. The coolest thing about the hotel is the gorgeous pine floors throughout the lobby area that were transferred and restored from a historic house. They are spectacular. Room: Bed was very comfortable/pillows were cheap and foamy/lumpy. Room was average size, but pleasant. They have a glass door shower with a low quality "rain" style shower head. We paid extra for the river view/balcony room. It consists of a tiny "balcony" that you can open a door to, but there is not actually room to sit out there. You wouldn't want to, because it basically just overlooks busy Bay Street. If you look hard, you can see the river behind the buildings across the street. My biggest complaint about the hotel was the maid service/cursory cleaning. While new, and still in good condition, clearly they are understaffed on maids - our room was finally cleaned at 6 PM. And the floss threader that was on the bathroom floor when we arrived was still there when we left. The glass shower doors clearly got a cursory, smeary wipe. Unless their cleaning standards really improve, this brand new property is going to be pretty trashy after about a year. Also, the complimentary breakfast was the worst of any hotel I've stayed at that includes breakfast. It was on a par with McDonald's.

Nice Stay

by TripAdvisor Member meyerinc

We stayed two nights in mid March. The hotel is still very new, so all of the furnishings are modern, which made us feel as if we were spending more than $150 a night. The bathroom was terrific with a very large walk-in shower. If you're a bath person, you would have been disappointed (no tub); but we're not, so we loved it.

Every employee was very warm and friendly. Each was quick to answer any questions we had or help in any way they could ... and always with a smile. That's greatly appreciated.

The breakfast spread was extensive. Seeing that we're both trying to cut out refined sugar and flour from our diets, most of the food items were things that we weren't going to eat (bread, bagels, sweet rolls, etc.), but they also had fruit, bacon, and mini omelets. All in all, it really was a nice array of food.

The location cannot be beat. After arriving in our car, we didn't get back into it until we were leaving town. We walked everywhere throughout the historic downtown from the tourist office on the east end to the Pirate's House on the west end and all points between. Savannah is so lovely, especially all of the beautiful squares sprinkled throughout the downtown.

The only negatives I can think of are
1. The air conditioner/heater unit was a bit noisy. But upon checkout, they told us that it was being serviced that day.
2. The windows do not open at all, not even an inch to get a little fresh air.
3. The parking situation confused me a bit. Before arriving, I was aware that we would have to pay extra for parking. The rate given by the hotel is $10 a day for the lot next door. They validate your parking ticket and add the expense to your bill. That's all fine and dandy. But when we were in the garage elevator to go up to our car to leave, I saw a sign promoting $6-a-day rates directly from the people who manage the garage. I intended to ask about that but then forgot as we were pulling out. So I never did find out what the deal was with that.

Great location, noisy

by TripAdvisor Member azigule

We stayed there 2 nights with our 3 children in March.
Great location:2mn walking distance to the River Street, walking distance to the Victorian District. . Well designed, nice rooms and bathrooms.Everything looks new. Good taste in decorating.
We had a room on the street ( great view ) but very, very noisy even with closed windows ( cars driving very fast on E Bay Street). Service is pleasant but slightly laid back ( it took 4 hours to get a rollaway bed , housekeeping was made at 4pm ).
Nice swimming poll on the roof with great city views.
Definetely above the average Holiday Inn Express ( circ.$200 night)

Exceptional Value in Wonderful Savannah

by TripAdvisor Member Avalonmax

We have stayed at a number of places in Savannah over the course of the past couple of years. This new hotel is by far one of the nicest in its price range. During our four day stay in Savannah we checked out of one b&b as it has no window looking outdoors and for the same rate stated at the Holiday Inn.

The Bellman (new to the hotel industry and can't remember his name) was helpful, friendly and a true asset to the hotel. Everything was great, the front desk staff friendly, the furnishings and beds were wonderful, and although the room wasn't overly spacious it had everything we could need. The bathroom was especially nice. So much so that we are renovating bathrooms at our b&b to replicate the look.

As B&B owners ourselves we are especially critical of hotels, b&bs and Inn and I can tell you that you won't be disappointed with this hotel at all. They have done a great job - and I think that will continue.

Good location, parking a bit of a hassle

by TripAdvisor Member ChicagoBurnham

Stayed at HI Express last weekend in March 2008. Great location for walking and trolleys. Venue is brand new, and looks spiffy. Some problems with parking - staff directs you to a public lot next door to park at a discounted rate of $10 (valet costs $16). But the public lot was full, even when I said I was from the hotel. Found a street spot good for only 30 minutes, so complained to staff and they put me in the lot at the hotel across the street (Hampton?). This should not happen. Room was clean and bright, and was on the off-river side so it was not noisy. Best complimentary breakfast I have had anywhere with many choices.

Good deal for Savannah, but kinks need to be worked out

by TripAdvisor Member TrishLouisiana

Since it's newish the rooms are fairly fresh, and the location is excellent--for the price it's a good deal in Savannah. It was the overflow hotel for a conference I am attending--I'm actually typing this in my room at the HI Express.

The biggest plus is the friendly staff. The negatives may be part of having the hotel completely booked, with lots of events in town, and I don't think they have all the "new hotel" kinks worked out yet. This morning there was no hot water. I was told they were working on it. I couldn't face the cold shower so just skipped it thinking it would be fixed by evening when I returned. Nope. Went out to dinner, came back, still no hot water. I called 30 minutes ago and was promised a call back in 5 minutes regarding the hot water. No return call. Ifr Savannah weren't booked up this weekend I'd move on. I had a good deal on this room, but at $169/night I do expect hot water--I understand having a breakdown, but not fixing it promptly and not being too clear with the guests as to the extent of the problem, etc. just seems like bad management.

Comments