Inn At Ellis Square A Days Hotel

Expedia.com Booking.com DaysInn.com

Costs 34% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• mtnnewf's Profile Photo

Good Value

We were there for an organization's annual meeting the first weekend in Oct, 2009. The hotel is nice and in a great location. They did a great job with facilities for the meeting and I didn't hear any complaints from the members, other than, it being Octoberfest, there were several very loud "young people" until about 2 am.

I saw were several families in the hotel while we were there and they seemed happy with the accommodations, too.

More about Inn At Ellis Square A Days Hotel

Horrible - ruined our convention!!!

by TripAdvisor Member GhostGeek

We held a convention at this "Inn" in July of 2005. This hotel must have had it out to do everything they could in their power to make our stay (and my colleagues) the worst it could be.

To start off with… the hotel was *still* undergoing remodeling when we arrived. When we booked the hotel 6 months prior for our event, we were assured that construction would have been completed 6 weeks prior. We were never informed in the weeks leading up that renovations were still VERY much a work in progress, and were greeted to the lovely sight of a large, blue construction dumpster upon check in. This was but the first of many unpleasant surprises we were in store for this weekend.

Lets back up a bit… when we secured our “group rate” for the hotel, we were quoted a price of $110 per night per room – this was booked in a block of 20 or more rooms. Upon a bit of research online, we discovered we could get rooms for $98 a night separately if booked off the web – with NO group code! When we confronted management about this, they were quite rude and made excuses like “we don’t set the online price”. We asked “What are we getting for booking 20 rooms?” Only after much arguing did they agree to honor the same rate we could get online individually! How “generous” of them, huh?

When our convention came to town, we found the staff to be equally rude; as if we were a nuisance to them. Gee – excuse us for intruding on you and expecting you to do your JOB while you are at work!

Since half the hotel was torn apart construction zone, our conference room was set up in a dank, windowless room in the basement. Keycard access was the only way in – a major problem for attendees not staying at this hotel.

The hotel staff found our meeting room to be a convenient shortcut to other parts of the hotel, and frequently walked RIGHT THRU while a seminar was in progress – IN SPITE of the fact that the sign on the door read “meeting in progress”.

Water service – this was a contractual agreement. We were to have been supplied with water service for the meeting room 2 times a day – once in the morning and again in the afternoon. Cups, water and ice were to have been provided. On the first day, we had a bowl of ice and a single cup! We ended up having to buy more cups at the grocery store! For the 2’nd and 3’rd days, no one was there to set up water service for us, and we had to hunt someone down from the staff to get it for us – this is Savannah in July folks! It was mighty hot and people get thirsty.

We were to have the room until 5:00 PM on Sunday (our last day). We were visited by staff at around noon asking what time we would be out so they could set up for tomorrow. RUDE – we had the room until 5:00 PM like our contract clearly stated!

Construction – at 7:30 AM on Friday, construction workers were down stairs banging hammers and working in full stride. Calls to the management did not get them to stop. 9:00 AM would have been acceptable – 7:30 is a bit early! THEN we were told that in spite of the hotel being under renovations (duh!) that work did NOT commence on the weekends. WRONG! We were awoken YET AGAIN to the lovely sound of hammers, saws, drills and workers profanity at 7:30 sharp.

One of our guests scalded themselves – someone with construction crew had reversed the hot and cold water pipes and this attendee burnt their foot while drawing a bath in their room! This hotel is darn lucky they (and myself as organizer of this event) didn’t get sued!

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg folks. I could go on and on for PAGES about how this hotel screwed up in every possible way. Clearly, they could care less. Management was unresponsive to our concerns after the fact, and continues to be such today. The credibility and integrity this hotels staff cost me to my colleagues continues to be felt today (though I have recently reclaimed some of that credibility by holding our latest at the Marshall House in Savannah – read my review for THAT hotel! You can’t go wrong there!)

The Inn at Ellis Square is THE WORST hotel I’ve EVER stayed at anywhere. I could never recommend anyone stay here as a regular guest, let alone as an event coordinator.

Traveler beware!!!

Great location, not a great hotel...

by TripAdvisor Member Discotish

This past weekend, June 9-11, I spent the weekend in Savannah with two of my girlfriends from college and I really had wonderful time. The three of us had gone to college in Statesboro, located 45 minutes from Savannah, so it was nice to take a weekend to relive old times and see how much our old stomping grounds had changed.

When we were looking for a place to stay, we knew we wanted a place that had a great location, reasonable price and wasn’t some run down, no-tell motel. Although it had been over 10 years since I had been in Savannah, I knew there was multi-story Days Inn & Suites on the corner of Bay Street and Barnard, where I had stayed 1 time before in college). That satisfied our great location requirements, as it was near City Market, River Street and a number of excellent restaurants (**Avoid the nearby over hyped Paula Deen restaurant “The Lady and Sons”, as it is not worth the 2 hour wait).

When we were comparing the rates of the Days Inn & Suites, now known as “The Inn at Ellis Square”, it had the most reasonable prices, as the Hyatt and Marriott were in the $200 plus range, per night. On the Days Inn Website where I made the reservations, I was able to get a rate of $152 a night as an internet special. This was the cheapest rate we could anywhere (expedia, hotels(--), etc...) When we read that the hotel had undergone a renovation in 2005, we decided to book the rooms. The special price was for advance pay, internet only. With the new hotel name and the renovations, we figured this would be a safe bet…We were wrong.

What the Days Inn website doesn’t mention is that the renovations were only done in certain SECTIONS of the hotel. Unless you lived in the lobby or were staying in a suite, it still looked and smelled like you were staying in an old school Days Inn.

Being the huge Gone With the Wind that I am, when I was trying to think of a way to describe the Inn at Ellis Square, it reminded me of the opinionated Mammy character saying that no matter how fancy a home they lived in or how expensive their clothes were, Rhett Butler and Scarlett O’Hara Hamilton Kennedy Butler were nothing more than “Mules in Horse’s Harnesses”. In other words, you can change the name and make a few places look fancy, but when it comes down to it, the Inn at Ellis Square is still the same old Days Inn that I remembered from 10 years earlier.

First off, except for one French accented employee whom I believe was the manager, the customer service here is horrendous. It’s like it was physically impossible for anyone to smile. The front desk employees were unfriendly and if it had been my first visit to the city of Savannah, they would have made a horrible first impression. When I arrived at 12:30 I was told my room wouldn’t be ready for a few hours, even though I had specifically requested early check in, due to my arrival time. Luckily, I knew of a nearby bar on River Street & was able to have lunch while waiting for my friends and for the room to be ready.

Whatever you do, DON’T stay in a smoking room. I’m a smoker and I have been one for 15 years, but Sweet Georgia Brown, the 6th floor of the hotel is a smoking floor and it smells like a 40 year old, wet ashtray mixed with wet dog hair. There is absolutely no air circulation or filtration & the lingering smoke smell of these rooms completely permeated every aspect of the 6th floor. It was just downright nasty.

The room was furnished in the standard lower-end hotel decor. There were 2 very comfortable double beds, although I’m pretty sure the reason they were so comfy is that they were very much broken in & I’m a sucker for a soft bed. They had the typical cheap bed spreads (with the scratchy underside that always slides off the bed), but they had the soft Velux blankets I like so much. The bathroom (toilet and shower) was comparable in size to one in a 767 and the vanity area was outside in the main part of the room. A small writing desk, chair, dresser and TV completed the furnishings. It was nothing fancy. Bring your own shampoo and condition, because the complimentary bottles of cheap shampoo are so small, I didn’t have enough to adequately wash my hair the first night.

Housekeeping never showed up to clean our room on Saturday. They said they thought we didn’t want to be disturbed. I guess the “Please clean the room” housekeeping sign left on the door and the verbal request for towels as we were going our for the morning were unclear. At 9:00 that evening, we called down to the front desk in order to get towels. The front desk was once again rude and said we must have has the sign on incorrectly. Now, I’m not a nuclear physicist, but I know how to hang a door sign. Additionally, we spoke to the housekeeper as we were leaving. When we got the towels at 9:30 pm, they did offer to clean the room and make up the beds.

Amenities:

There is parking in the garage next to the hotel for a $9.00 a day charge. They only allow 1 car per room to be parked in the garage and in order to get the code to access the parking garage, you will need to check in and get the code at the front desk. The Saturday night we were there, the parking lot was filled, so they obviously don’t care that they overfill the parking. If the garage is filled, you are responsible for finding your own off street parking. Make sure all your belongings are out of the car and it is kept locked.

There is a hotel bar that opens at 4:00 in the newly renovated lobby area. It’s nice and the bartender poured a strong drink, but it is by NO means a real bar area. I just felt like I was having a drink in the lobby rather than being in a “bar”.

They do offer a “deluxe” continental breakfast consisting of coffee, juice, fresh fruit, muffins, danishes, make your own waffles, biscuits and sausage. It’s nothing spectacular, but it serves its purpose and tides you over until lunch.

There was a pool that seemed to be getting a lot of use, as there were a number of kids in and out of the pool area. We didn’t use it, but the weather was ideal for swimming. Listening to the kids shout “Marco” “Polo” brought back memories!

Overall, I wouldn’t spend another stay at the Days Inn. It goes to show that you get what you pay for and next time, I will spend a few $$ more and stay at the Hyatt or the Doubletree.

Nicely Renovated

by TripAdvisor Member blaker1000

It has been about 2 years since we were there, it was ok then, but after staying there on August 9-10th 2006 it was very enjoyable, we had a minor problem with the door slamming which was quickly resolved with a minor adjustment, the Continental breakfast was very good also. Thanks

Good mix of quality and price

by TripAdvisor Member mcblowfish

Wanted to find an affordable hotel in the historic distric, right by the riverfront. After some searching, found a weekend rate on a two-room suite for <$100, parking included. The price-point for other hotels of similar quality was $150+ for that weekend. The location of the hotel is excellent - right by the riverfront, and within walking distance to the entire historic district. Market Square, a growing area of shops and restaurants is less than a block away.

The suite was OK, nothing special, but nothing problematic either. There is some road noise from Bay St, so ask for a higher floor if you can. Also ask for a room further away from the elevator, since the suite beds are right by the door, and the doors are not very soundproof.

The staff was cheerful enough- no problems and a friendly check in. Although the garage wasn't well lit, I did not feel that it was unsafe.

I'd stay again, but not for the $150 rate they initially quoted me.

What a wonderful place

by TripAdvisor Member georgiatravller

This great hotel has been recently renovated. It always had a great location - right across from River Street, in the Historic District and right near the City Market, but now that it is renovated, it can not be beat.... The staff was wonderful and I will come back time and time again.

Wonderful hospitality & great hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member mgari

My family and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Inn at Ellis Square. From our greeting from Oscar at the front desk when we arrived at 11 PM on Friday night, until our departure the following Monday morning at 11 AM, everything was wonderful; the housekeeping, maintenance, the DELUXE continental breakfast (fabulous!), the lobby bar, concierge, and Mildred. The warmth of the city is surpassed by the hositality of this hotel's employees. The building itself has been beautifully renovated; the detail to every decorative item shows that a lot of thought went into it. Our king parlor suite was great for our group--wet bar, microwave oven, small refrigerator, spiral staircase to the loft with a skylight, tv's for everyone and we even enjoyed the swimming pool--and the hotel's prime location across the street from River Street and its distance from City Market made it even better. Both the kids and the adults were very pleased. We are already talking about a return trip to this property!

The best location in Savannah

by TripAdvisor Member wsh2033

september 26, 2006
inn at ellis square

I stayed in Savannah, GA on labor day weekend. The hotel we stayed at was the Inn at Ellis Square. I think it is the best location in Savannah. We stayed in a two room suite and were very pleased with our accomadations. Parking was convinent and the pool was clean. The staff was very friendly and eager to be of assistance. When i visit Savannah, which is about 4 times a year, I always stay at the Inn at Ellis Square.

Comments