Quality Inn / Savannah South

Econo Lodge Savannah South
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Official Site

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Savannah

union general william t. shermanunion general william t. sherman

Wrapping Paper and Other Knick KnacksWrapping Paper and Other Knick Knacks

Old Fort JacksonOld Fort Jackson

The Pirate House RestaurantThe Pirate House Restaurant

Weekend Trip to Savannah

by PVHS02

My girlfriend and I are going to Savannah, GA for the weekend and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on things I have to do/see while I'm there (keeping in mind it's just for the weekend).

It's our first weekend away together so I want to be sure to find something extra special to do.

Thanks friends!
Danielle

by mccalpin

Yes, as Pedro says, the city is well known for its history. I assume that on Sunday, there will be the hop-on, hop-off buses that will take you around all the historic homes in the central historic district.

See http://www.savannahvisit.com/ (the official tourism website)
or maybe http://2009.savannahvisit.com/getaways/long-weekend/sample-itinerary

Bill

by TexasDave

I've got quite a few suggestions on things to do and places to eat on my VT Savannah pages. The bus tour is a good idea and operates 7 days a week. After the tour it can serve as transportation around town.

by PVHS02

Thanks to all of you. I will have to check out some of the tips on your respective pages.

I hear it can be a nice romantic getaway, so that's what I'm hoping for.

I'll let y'all know what we end up doing while we're there!

by PVHS02

So what I'm gathering here is that you really liked Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil? :)

Travel Tips for Savannah

Savannah..............Time only makes it better!

by Live_4_Today

Hello,
I've traveled to Savannah several times, and I have to say the historic district is a very safe place to walk and explore. Before my first trip, someone suggested when I go, to plan a walking tour by starting at Bay Street and walking south on Bull all the way to Forsythe Park. You get to experience lots of shops, and the beautiful city squares this way, and get a real feel for the historic district.
The Savannah History Museum on Martin Luther King Blvd. would be a great place to see some Civil War relics, and I HIGHLY suggest taking one of the many tours offered in town. The walking tours are lots of fun, but if you'd prefer not to walk, there are lots of trolley and carriage tours that will get you up to speed on some of the history about town.

The Lady and Sons is a good place to eat, as are many of the restaurants on River Street. Our FAVORITE is Mrs. Wilkes dining room on Jones Street. It is only open at lunch time (11-2 I believe) and only takes cash, but you'll get the TRUE Southern dining experience there. No menu, just pass around lots of good home cookin' at the table with others. Great way to meet people. We also like the Pirate House on E. Broad Street. They have a delicious buffet at lunch, and a very nice menu for dinner. We've also had a wonderful meal at Belford's in the City Market.

My husband's favorite haunt in town is the riverside. He loves sitting there watching the big ships come in and go out........and I get to shop at all the shops on River Street while he does that!

Be SURE to either take a tour to Bonaventure Cemetery, or drive out yourself. It's NOT to be missed! I just LOVE walking through the squares in town. It gives one the feeling of being a part of this old city.

Davenport House

by seagoingJLW

Visit the Isaiah Davenport House Museum.

It is located at 119 Habersham Street.

For information phone:
912-236-8097
Or FAX
912-233-7938 The house is a typical Federal style home.

Casual and relaxed :)

by jenp057

Tourists often carry backpacks. Winter: You'll probably need a coat (or at least a warm jacket) - bring clothes that layer well. It can get really cold, but the weather is very unpredictable.
Autumn: Jeans and a light jacket or sweater will do. You'll probably want to bring a few short sleeved shirts also... again, layering.
Spring & Summer: Shorts and tank tops/short sleeve shirts are ideal. Even in the summer though, you might want to bring a sweater/light jacket - with the boiling temps outside, restaurant managers turn the air to freezing!
Shoes: Bring your most comfortable pair! A lot of bars/restaurants are casual, so don't worry too much about dressing up (unless you just want to!) If you're wearing a casual dress/skirt, wear flipflops/sandles instead of heels.
Hat/Scarf/Etc: It's very humid during Spring/Summer... you might want to bring something if your hair tends to frizz. Sunscreen! (even in the winter) Bring your camera and a disposable one - if you want a stranger to take a picture of you standing in front of something, you wouldn't want to give them your good camera. If you're going to Tybee (Savannah Beach) bring a bathing suit, beach towl, beach chair, cooler, etc. Bring both sunglasses and an umbrella - it's either extremely sunny or pouring down rain (often times, both!)

Tybee Island

by cobrioc

Tybee Island is only minutes from the Savannah Historic District. Offering some of South's best beaches and fantastic family values, Tybee is the eclectic jewel of the Georgia Coast. Enjoy boating, biking, hiking, or soaking up the rays on the beach. Combined with historic attractions, great shopping and extraordinary dining, Tybee is Georgia's small beach town.

Parking for Savannah

by Azonie

Parking in Savannah is a little tricky..No matter where you go you usually HAVE to pay to park..It's best to buy the parking ticket stubs that are sold at certain meters placed through out the city..The time for these stubs vary so you have to be careful..You don't want to buy one for two hours and then spend 6 hours walking around shoping and site seeing. :-) The other practical thing to do is to just go park in one of the parking garages near the Market district, it's pretty centrally located so that you can either go one way from there to all the squares or head in the opposite direction to River st..which is just a few blocks away..Also a good thing to remember is that you do NOT have to pay for parking on the weekends..We found that out AFTER we had been paying. DOH! :-)

Comments