Springhill Suites Savannah I-95 South

4 Gateway Boulevard East (Exit 94), Savannah, Georgia, 31419, United States
SpringHill Suites Savannah I-95 South
Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Savannah

confederate seige gunconfederate seige gun

Scallops and Shrimp in a Thai Garlic SauceScallops and Shrimp in a Thai Garlic Sauce

baby alligatorbaby alligator

Historical Marker Outside SynagogueHistorical Marker Outside Synagogue

Savannah bound April 13

by wwarrob

My wife and I ( age 49 & 48) will be visiting Savannah the week of April 13. Are there any areas near the historic district we should avoid?
We like to visit antique shops and I am particularly interested in Civil War history. I also like to fish. Besides the things to do and attractions listed on this website, are there any other interesting things you would recommend we visit or do in this historic town?
Any restaurants besides the Lady and Sons you would highly recommend?

by Live_4_Today

Hello,
I've traveled to Savannah several times, and I have to say the historic district is a very safe place to walk and explore. Before my first trip, someone suggested when I go, to plan a walking tour by starting at Bay Street and walking south on Bull all the way to Forsythe Park. You get to experience lots of shops, and the beautiful city squares this way, and get a real feel for the historic district.
The Savannah History Museum on Martin Luther King Blvd. would be a great place to see some Civil War relics, and I HIGHLY suggest taking one of the many tours offered in town. The walking tours are lots of fun, but if you'd prefer not to walk, there are lots of trolley and carriage tours that will get you up to speed on some of the history about town.

The Lady and Sons is a good place to eat, as are many of the restaurants on River Street. Our FAVORITE is Mrs. Wilkes dining room on Jones Street. It is only open at lunch time (11-2 I believe) and only takes cash, but you'll get the TRUE Southern dining experience there. No menu, just pass around lots of good home cookin' at the table with others. Great way to meet people. We also like the Pirate House on E. Broad Street. They have a delicious buffet at lunch, and a very nice menu for dinner. We've also had a wonderful meal at Belford's in the City Market.

My husband's favorite haunt in town is the riverside. He loves sitting there watching the big ships come in and go out........and I get to shop at all the shops on River Street while he does that!

Be SURE to either take a tour to Bonaventure Cemetery, or drive out yourself. It's NOT to be missed!

by SONG

wow.....my answer will be short and sweet.....I do NOT have tons of good information about Savannah. I do agree with the previous comments about the
riverfront. My husband and I ate at a historic restaurant named 1792, for obvious reasons. It had a fabulous decor and historic flavor, and the food was devine. Cannot tell you the address but I am sure google can..........enjoy a beautiful city!!!

by SONG

by smalltowntraveler

Please do not avoid any of the historic areas, I have walked all the squares and found them simply lovely. If you wish to look via photographs before you go, check out smalltowngems.com where you will find many pics of the historic areas and more.

Travel Tips for Savannah

Savannah Visitors Center

by deecat

At the restored Central of Georgia Railroad Station, you will find the Savannah Visitors Center. This is a great place to begin because it provides all that you will need to explore the historic district. You may wish to rent audiotape tours or do as we did and pick up free walking-tour-maps, metro-area maps and guides, lots of brochures, and discount coupons for attractions. For $1.00, you are able to see a very good slide show which introduces the city sights and the history of Savannah. It runs periodically throughout the day.

It's another place where the people are quite knowledgeable and willing to answer any and all questions if at all possible.

While you are there, go to the adjacent train shed to see the Savannah History Museum where you can see a multimedia presentation and an 1890 locomotive. Admission fee is about $3.00. I was quite impressed with the kindness of the people who worked at the Savannah Visitors Center. They never rushed us or acted impatient with our mundane questions.

It sets the tone of the city to be treated so well. The enthusiasm that was shown was also refreshing.

Address: 301 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. (formerly W. Broad Street)
Phone: (912)944-0455)

Tiny 1700's house

by Pawtuxet

We marvelled at this tiny little house on Greene Square. It stood beside a much larger house which was approx. as old... and wondered if the little one was built for a foreman or sea captain while the larger home belonged to the master. ?? Fun to wonder about.
You can see from the side view that they have accomodated modern living with an air conditioner whose compressor fills the side yard.... and there is an extension on the back of the building to give a little bigger turning radius. Guess you couldn't be too much of a collector in this house. :-)

Crosswinds Golf Course

by davecallahan

We played the 9-hole, executive section of this course; there is a more difficult 18-hole section which the pro-shop suggested was for more experienced golfers (duffers like me can not harbor much pride).
$42 for cart and 18-hole and $20 for cart for executive 9-holes. If you take a cart, make sure you stay on the cart path because they are not very forgiving about people who ruin their grass.

The 9-hole section plays from 1000 to 2800 yards depending on tee choice. The 18-hole course plays from 5500 to 6500 yards.
On the executive course, most of the holes are pretty easy as long as you don't try to overpower the shot. Placement is important especially on the approach shot because the undulating greens can eat up three putts if you don't end up within 15 feet of the hole.
The hazards were minimal (unlike the 18-hole championship course) and water came into play for only three holes. The 9th hole is a bit tricky because a bad approach shot can end up with your ball rolling off the green and into the pond.

The practice area has putting green, chipping area and driving section. Prices range up from $10 a bucket.
The pro shop is a good place to stop and yak about the course before beginning. The locals normally will tell you how to approach each hole if you give them a chance.
The snack bar and grill serves beverages and finger foods at reasonable prices.

River Street Shopping

by cobrioc

From distinctive gift shops to charming
boutiques, River Street offers an array of shopping options. You'll discover Savannah souvenirs, Civil War memorablia, original paintings, fashionable clothing and more along this historic street. Whether you're searching for a special Savannah cookbook or original art by area artists, you'll find just what you're looking for on River Street.
Savannah Candy Kichen: Handmade Southern confections, cakes and candies including pecan pralines, divinty, gophers, gift baskets, pecan pies and much more. Once a popular part for exporting cotton, lumber and other goods, River Streeet teemed with maritime activity in the eighteen and nineteenth centuries. Today more than 70 shops, restaurants and business call River Street home.

Everything on the menu is fantastic

by usachick about Scarlet O' Haras

So nostalgic. Full of memorabilia from "Gone With The Wind". Friendly atmosphere and of course the servers are very polite and friendly Could not pick my favourite, the last meal we had there was as good as the first

Comments