10614 Abercorn Extension, Savannah, Georgia, 31419, United States
Booking.com Priceline.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Savannah

eastern defensive lineeastern defensive line

One of the benches providedOne of the benches provided

One of the many squirrels who eat bread and nutsOne of the many squirrels who eat bread and nuts

Orb in CemeteryOrb in Cemetery

Where to stay???

by maof2

I will be coming to Savannah (for the 1st time) in March for the St. Patricks Day Parade. I'm not sure if I should stay in the historic distric (Country Inn and Suites) or by the airport ( Country Inn and Suites). Is the drive long into town and probably would take a taxi in on St. Pat's due to traffic etc.. Any and all advice about Savannah is helpful. Also, I've been reading a lot about the high crime rate in Savannah, where should I not travel too???

Re: Where to stay???

by sherrillbland

You're in for a real treat! St. Paddy's Day in Savannah is the best. Don't miss the parade. The parade can be incredibly long, so take the opportunity to visit the Pirate's House restaurant for lunch and sit by a window so you can continue to watch the floats and clans go by...trust me, it'll still be going on when you are finished lunch.

Sorry I can't be more helpful about places to stay and how to avoid crime, I don't recall sleeping while I was there, and I didn't encounter any place or location where I felt scared.

For a real experience, you should check out Club One, the Female Impersonators dance club. No kidding, it's a great place to see a show and then dance the night away! Here's a little info:

Fun. Laughter. Blatant suggestive language. A handful of raunchiness. The Lady Chablis Show is not for children, those lacking a sense of humor or those easily offended. It’s for those who love to laugh, don’t take life seriously and like to groove to the beat.

Club One (1 Jefferson Street, Savannah; Tel: (912) 232-0200) is a multi-level dance club and bar. The drag show featuring the Lady Chablis is on the upper level. A handful of drag queens and female impersonators are selected by the Grand Empress to perform during the 60-minute show. Like other drag shows, most performers lip synch while dressed in glittery and shimmering costumes and flawless makeup. They’re confident, sassy and sweet. Bring along a wad of one dollar bills to tip the girls. And don’t be shy. Most won’t come into the crowd so members of the audience are encouraged to walk up to the stage and tip the girls accordingly.

Read more at Suite101: Savannah's the Lady Chablis: An Evening with the Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil Star http://georgia-travel.suite101.com/article.cfm/savannahs_the_lady_chablis#ixzz0fcqW8h2d

Have a wonderful time. Savannah is a beautiful city.

Re: Where to stay???

by JessieLang

It has been a number of years since I've been in Savannah--and it could have changed--but I felt safe there, and wandered all around town. My general preference is ALWAYS for the historic district in a city unless there is a good reason not to.

If you stay in the center, you probably won't have to use your car at all. The historic area if fairly walkable.

Travel Tips for Savannah

Savannah Beach wedding Advice! Tybee wedding

by southernBellega

The Beach! I just love Tybee Island.It is secluded and off the beaten path. untouched and beautiful I was married on Savannah's Beach at Tybee Island. My Tybee beach wedding on the sand was gorgeous and all thanks to my wedding planner! A Tybee island local, she knows savannah and the island well.Our beachside ceremony was barefoot and my dad walked me down a flower petal aisle!Our cake was amazing and the cocktails didn't hurt. People like happy hour here

We had fifty guests and a tent on the sand. we chose an authentic Luau reception with a whole roasted pig! coconut candles and shell and orchid leis were my favors.
we pledged our vows as the sun set.Perfect!!!!
I will return every anniversary to Tybee!
We had our rehearsal dinner at George's restaurant and our Sunday brunch at A.J.s- both are wonderful!!!!

If you are getting married, call Anastasia !!
www.savannahbeachevents.com

A Bit Of Gory History

by kidkilowatt

Stop by the Lucas Theater at 32 Abercorn and see if you can find the bullet holes from a supposed drive-by shooting in prohibition times in which several people (I think 11) were killed. The bullet holes are still there, just touched up a bit to make them less noticeable.

Packing List

by xtaberx

Of course, I'm gonna have to recommend comfortable walking shoes. There is no such thing as driving around Savannah and getting even the slightest idea for what an awesome place you're in -- put the car somewhere, and walk everywhere you can. As far as the weather goes, though, Savannah does get pretty sultry in the summer months, and with all the walking you're going to be doing, I would recommend bringing a water bottle and keeping yourself hydrated through the middle of the day, but be aware that opportunities to use a bathroom in the Historic District are not abundant. Keep in mind when you're packing that Savannah, though it is a modern, cosmopolitan city, is situated smack dab in the middle of the vast festering swamps of the southeast, and as a result you will encounter native insect life in the form of mosquitoes large enough to be classified as aircraft by the FAA. (Just a little mosquito humor there . . . yeah) So you might want to have some bug repellant with you, especially if you're planning on striking out for Skidaway Island or any similar outdoorsy sort of attraction. Bring your own. The tourist shops near the riverfront generally charge a lot for film, batteries, and so forth. If you're headed to Tybee Island, the beach is terrific, so enjoy, but don't plan on doing any surfing there -- it's restricted on most of the beach, and the surf is pretty weak anyhow. So tanning lotion, yes, but surfboard, don't bother. Bring nice pens and writing paper, and write to your friends and family back home while you're sitting on a square bench or by the riverfront or something Savannah-esque like that. Savannah somehow inspires this method of communication with its slow-paced demeanor, and it's an inspiration that I highly recommend acting upon.

i'M SURE THERE ARE A LOT OF...

by ferdnbean

i'M SURE THERE ARE A LOT OF THINGS i MISSED DURING MY SHORT STOP IN THE sAVANNAH AREA, BUT ONE POINT OF INTEREST TO MY FAMILY(ESPECIALLY HISTORY LOVING MOM AND DAD) WAS TYBEE ISLAND, ABOUT 30 MINUTES OR SO EAST OF SAVANNAH.GREAT LIGHTHOUSE THERE AND VERY INTERESTING FORT PULASKI WHERE YOU CAN STILL SEE THE (FIRST USED) RIFLED CANNON SHELLS STUCK IN THE CRUMBLED FORT WALLS. THE RIFLED CANNON CHANGED THE FACE OF CANNON WARFARE DURING THE CIVIL WAR, AND THE TOUR OF THE FORT IS SHORT, BUT INTERESTING. TRAFFIC CAN GET VERY HEAVY DUE TO THE SEASHORE VISITORS, SO AVOID WEEKEND VISITS DURING THE SUMMER.

If driving to Savannah, you...

by lukal

If driving to Savannah, you would probably use I-95 or I-16. 95 runs north and south. 16 comes from Atlanta by way of 75S, gettin on 16 at Macon. We have an international airport, with daily flights fom anywhere. We are also served by Amtrak and Greyhound bus, if you desire.
You will need a car if you want to go to the beach, the civil war forts, or to Savannah Wildlife, just across the river in SC. You can see alligators in their natural state. BE CAREFUL!

Comments