The 1895 Inn

126 East Oglethorpe Ave., Savannah, Georgia, 31401, United States

More about The 1895 Inn

Highest Recommendation!

by TripAdvisor Member Susan633

My husband and I are avid B&B fans so in looking for a place to stay in Savannah, we were delighted to find that The 1895 Inn surpassed our expectations. Staying with Ed & Bob was like staying with family. They are charming, fabulous hosts who welcome you into a "step back in time" in the most elegant setting imaginable. We will definitely make it a regular stop when traveling through Georgia.

Simply the best!

My fiance, Andy, and I first stayed at the 1895 B&B several months ago for a quick weekend away. We found the inn to be charming, with very helpful, personable hosts - Bob & Ed. The rooms are quite comfortable and the breakfasts are delicious - the wine & cheese hour was a very nice touch! The inn was an obvious choice for Andy when he planned his surprise proposal. Bob & Ed helped to make this a fantastic, memorable experience. We both highly recommend staying at this B&B.

The Best We've Found

Bob and Ed put more effort into running a small B & B than we have ever seen. The wine and cheese gathering at 5:00 and the cake--still warm from Bob's oven--at 8:00 PM are extras that we--veteran travelers--had not not seen before. But the highlights of our stay were the multi-course hot breakfasts with fresh fruit and juice and ... , all listed on a printed menu at each beautiful place setting around the gorgeous dining room table. And Bob made two trips with us to the Greyhound Station for tickets and boarding for our onward trip, as we did without a car for a few days.

Both Bob and Ed have been collectors of tasteful objet d'art for decades and they have found display sites for scores of them in the house, thereby lending a homey touch--not to be confused with kitsch. But our stay did leave us with one problem: when can we manage to get back to Savannah and the 1895 Inn?

Southern Hospitality at its finest

This was our second trip the 1895 Inn and it definitely merits our return.

Ed and Bob are two of the most welcoming, helpful, and accommodating hosts we have ever encountered. They seem to have a way to make each couple's trip unique and special.

The B & B includes a 5:00 wine and cheese social hour with the other guests and dessert in the evening. Both of which are excellent.

The elegantly prepared breakfasts are to die for; make sure you request the Blueberry, Cream cheese Stuffed French Toast.

We could not say enough about the 1895 Inn, we would recommend it to those who are looking for a place to become newly engaged, to those who are celebrating an anniversary, or to those who simply need a weekend getaway.

A Beautiful B&B

by TripAdvisor Member outandaround

We had a great time staying in this B&B. It was as gorgeous as any of the historic homes we toured in Savannah. Our room was very comfortable and, like the rest of the house, full of antiques and objets d'art. Ed was a great host- very knowledgeable about the city. He had great suggestions for whatever we wanted to do- tours, restaurants, etc. He is also a fabulous cook, and we stuffed ourselves at breakfast. I would highly recommend this B&B to couples visiting Savannah.

Our Favorite B&B

by TripAdvisor Member Memphisman

This was by far the finest B@B we've ever stayed at because of its terrific location in the historic district within an easy walk of virtually everything of interest, unsurpassed hospitality of co-owner Ed Bryant and the quiet, tasteful elegance of authentic antiques of Victorian era. Our four-poster, canopy bed had a 12-inch-thick mattress. Large, well-equipped bedroom (includes big TV with DVD player and lots of DVDs at no charge) and huge, tiled bathroom with an enormous tub from England. Included were gourmet breakfasts served on bone china and fine crystal; afternoon wine and cheese sessions for guests at no charge; evening trays of complimentary deserts; and luxurious chocolates at turndown added to the pampered luxury of our stay. If you only stay at one B&B in the Southeast this year, this is the one!

Absolutely Perfect!!

by TripAdvisor Member sweetnss272003

This was our first trip to Savannah, so I did quite a bit of research to try to find the perfect place for us to spend my birthday weekend. After reading all the reviews, my boyfriend and I decided to stay with Bob and Ed at the 1895 Inn. Well let me tell you, we found everything we could have possibly dreamed of and more! Not only was the Inn beautifully decorated and immaculate, but it was also perfectly located near both the Riverfront and all of the best historical sites in Savannah. Our room was gorgeous with an oversized canopy bed and freshly tiled bath and the most lovely treetop view of Savannah. But I must admit it's the breakfasts that I'll miss most!! Every morning we were greeted with a full (and I mean FULL) hot gourmet breakfast served on the finest china. There was the wine and cheese hour before dinner, and if that wasn't enough, the late night dessert - the pineapple pound cake is truly the best I've ever tasted (I even insisted they send a few slices home with me!). Bob and Ed were the most gracious and accommodating hosts and immediately made us feel like family - when it was time to go, it seemed like we were leaving old friends. They took care of everything for us, including making dinner recommendations and reservations, suggesting the very best tours and other “not to miss” attractions, providing us with a ton of interesting Savannah history, and making sure that we stayed cool in the Savannah heat! Little did I know my boyfriend was planning to propose that very same weekend. The night of July 4th, after the proposal (and the hour after it took me to compose myself), we returned to our lovely room to find a bottle of champagne, a dozen roses, and the sweetest card, all compliments of Bob and Ed!! They truly made our stay the best weekend of our lives! We cannot wait to return to Savannah and to Bob and Ed at the 1895 Inn!

It doesn't get much better than this.

by TripAdvisor Member bayard7

Travelers who choose bed and breakfasts for their accommodations expect a high level of elegance, sophistication, and hospitality from their stay. These are the reasons individuals choose bed and breakfasts, instead of hotels, in the first place. We want to stay in a home just as comfortable as the one we left behind, yet with a few additional amenities. I am no exception with my expectations for bed and breakfasts. I have stayed in nearly every one in the city of Savannah. Some live up to their expectations, others do not, but every once in a while one comes along that blows your socks off.

From the moment I stepped into the elegant foyer of the 1895 Inn, I quickly realized I had found the ultimate bed and breakfast. Nestled in the heart of Savannah's historic district, on the corner of Oglethorpe and Abercorn, and diagonal from the historic Colonial cemetery, the inn is a bed and breakfast lover's dream come true. Its four spacious rooms are elegantly decorated with period furnishings, which transports you back to a bygone era, but you are not without modern conviences. Each room boasts a television, DVD player, an iron, luxury toiletries, and an alarm clock. The Inn's second floor also contains a media room, with an impressive big-screen plasma television, and a library filled with books and DVDs for your reading and watching pleasure. In the evening, the media room is the place to get slices of scrumptious homemade cakes with your choice of coffee, sodas or bottled water. The latter two beverages are also available throughout the day from the media room's under-counter refrigerator. If you travel to Savannah in the summer, this is a wonderful amenity to your stay.

The beds at the 1895 are some of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The nightly turn-down service is charming, and I looked forward to the lovely piece of candy which greeted me upon my return to my room after dinner. Between the hours of 5-6 p.m. the inn keepers invite you to join them and the other guests in the parlor for wine and cheese. This is a great time to sample some fantastic wine and delightful finger foods before you head off to dinner. It is also a great opportunity to mingle with the other guests, who have traveled from all over the country and world to stay at the inn. Plan on meeting with your new found friends again at 9 a.m. each morning for an out of this world gourmet breakfast, cooked up by your host. The quiche is some of the best I have ever had, and there is nothing quite like the blueberry French toast casserole. Don't worry, the inn-keepers let you have seconds!

The best part of a stay at the 1895 Inn is the gregarious Inn keepers, Bob and Ed. Not only are they hospitable hosts, but they are also incredibly knowledgeable about the city they call home. They can recommend a great restaurant, a historic landmark you shouldn't miss, or a tour that's right up your alley. They also have great stories to tell about Savannah and its architecture and citizens. You can certainly tell they love what they do, and it shows in the fine attention to detail within the inn, or the welcoming way they make you feel at home.

I had an extraordinary time at the 1895 Inn. All my expectations for an elegant, comfortable stay were more than met, and I found myself saying the same thing I had heard guests say days earlier: "I really don't want to leave."

I would not stay anywhere else in Savannah!

We stayed at The 1895 Inn over Labor Day weekend this year. It was beyond our expectations. Bob and Ed were so hospitable and friendly. Whatever we needed, they took care of. They also recommended some great restaurants and bars, and also set up our tours and reservations for us. We were not able to stay for the breakfast they were serving one morning, so they actually went to Starbucks and bought us coffee cakes to take on the road. It was so sweet and thoughtful. This is not only a beautiful inn at a great location, but it's also a place where you are welcomed and taken care of so well. It is evident that Bob and Ed love what they do. And I definitely recommend going to Wine and Cheese from 4-6pm. Bob and Ed along with other Inn guests hang out and get the scoop on Savannah. It's fun and helps your vacation get started!

Next time I'm in Savannah, I will not stay anywhere else besides The 1895 Inn.

The Ultimate!!

I am very well seasoned in the bed and breakfast experience, from the Atlantic to the Pacific Coast of the United States. The 1895 Inn has by far superceded any of my previous stays in many ways. First, lets begin with the accomodations. The house, the ENTIRE house, was elegantly decorated with only the best of the best. Each room,(and I saw them all), was immaculate. The very comfortable bed in the room where I stayed had superb linens, that is too say, excellent sheets, towels, and pillows. In addition to the already luscious room, there was a "media room" with access to a plasma television and a variety of DVD's. Secondly, the food...ah...the food was tremendous. Not only delicious, absolutley divine. Breakfast was served on very fine china, with crystal goblets. There was also an afternoon snack with wine available. Thirdly, the hosts, both Bob and Ed, truely made you feel welcome in their home. Both of these very fine gentlemen were friendly and anxious to help you in any way feel connected to them and their city. They honestly seemed interested in you, and seemed to get something from all of their guests. The only thing bad that I can say, is that they ruined my future stays at B&B's, as this experience can not be improved upon, no way, no how!!

Comments