The Gastonian

Gastonian
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about The Gastonian

So Happy to Find It

My college roommate and I stumbled across the Gastonian after spending an almost sleepless, awful night at a B&B across the street, where, among many other problems, I was kept awake by a terrible argument from a couple upstairs. We were so happy to move to the Gastonian! They gave us a reasonable walk-in rate and a lovely room, with two large beds. a small sitting area and a modern shower. The breakfasts were great, as were the afternoon sherry/ tea and evening desserts. I enjoyed meeting the other guests as well. It was a gracious, but comfortable inn, elegant, but also informal. It made our trip to Savannah. I sent another friend and her husband there this spring - they had a fancy honeymoon-type suite and they also really enjoyed it.

Maybe the worst

by TripAdvisor Member Vandygrad

Having travel extensively this may be the worst place I have stayed since I have been able to afford "luxury accomadations." We were greeted by a stopped up toilet in a musty, dirty street level room that was so noisy that we had to go to the local Kroger's(2 blocks away) to buy ear plugs. We were unable to change rooms because all rooms were full for the weekend. Had we not been meeting 3 other couples we would have gone elsewhere, so we stuck it out. Breakfast looked impressive, but the juices was "fresh" out of a can and the rest was pretty ordinary. Our friends voiced similar complaints. It may have been great at one time but now is far below some chain motels.

Extremely disappointed

I expected great service but was extremely disappointed. The staff seemed inexperienced and inconsistent. After our first night, the bed was made but was very messy and the pull-out couch was left open and unmade. Dirty dishes from the previous day were left in the room, and the toiletries were not replenished. I would not recommend staying here.

Don't waste your money!

What a disappointment! This was supposed to be a very special getaway for my mother's birthday, and this hotel was such a waste of money. The staff seemed really inexperienced. Upon arrival there was a strange smell in the hallways, our room was not properly set up for the number of people we had and they had to move out a couch and bring in a sofabed (but only after we asked them to), we had to repeatedly ask that they bring enough glasses, robes, shampoo for all of us. The tea and dessert they talk about on their website was not great, although breakfast was pretty good. Housekeeping was not good - they didn't clean up dirty dishes from our room, didn't even make up the pull-out couch, and they don't do the fancy turn-down service they advertise. There are so many other nice places to stay for the money!

Don't go!

by TripAdvisor Member Laurie1976

My husband planned a surprise trip to Savannah to celebrate our 25th anniversary for me. I absolutely loved Savannah but I was disgusted by the service and the attitudes of the staff. We stayed in the penthouse suite in the adjoining house. Upon arrival, I noticed how filthy the bedroom floor was and requested that it be cleaned. It was not cleaned well. Someone simply swept the dirt into corners. When we awoke the next morning, our breakfast was supposed to be waiting for us via room service. No breakfast came even an hour after the requested time. I finally had to travel to the other house just to find a cup of coffee!! The host was not apologetic at all when I asked about our breakfast and we waited another hour for it to arrive. We never did get our breakfast delivered the entire time we where there despite daily requests!!! Like another reviewer of this B&B, I wrote an e-mail describing our experience and a letter via mail but never received a reply!!!!! Never stay at the Gastonian.

Poor Service, Value, And An All Around Bad Experience

My husband and I choose to stay at the Gastonian for our honeymoon. The staff of the Gastonian managed to make our honeymoon the worst ever. Here's why:
-With less than 12 guests they didn't even know who we were or where our reservation was upon check in.
-No one helped with our luggage or even told us where to put it.
-Housekeeping was disgusting. They only drained our jacuzzi--never cleaned it. Didn't even replenish our bath amenities.
-It was our HONEYMOON and we were staying in the HONEYMOON SUITE. They had Construction Workers taking down wallpaper outside of our room the entire second day of our stay. We could hear all of their conversations and I know they could hear ours as well. We had no privacy on our honeymoon. They didn't even offer to change rooms or give us a refund for the $360 A NIGHT WE PAYED TO STAY THERE!!!
-They didn't even realize we were checking out a day early when we left with disgruntled faces.
-The food is mediocre at best and the staff is the most inconsiderate and inexperienced you could ever find.

My advice, stay at the Garden Hotel Savannah. Its half the price, in the Historic District as well. They saved our honeymoon when we switched hotels.

I wrote all of this and more to the Gastonian and their owners, HLC Group, Inc. I never even received a reply.

IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY YOUR TRIP TO SAVANNAH--DON'T GO TO THE GASTONIAN.

The atmosphere and service was wonderful

Me and my wife stayed here for our 8th anniversary. The room was oversized and the amenities were very generous. From the doorstep we could walk to the historic downtown area and dining as well as view the many historic squares. The breakfast was a very unexpected surprise unlike other B&B's we have stayed at the breakfast was gourmet and made to order with a chef that had great stories to tell and made the breakfast with the other guest seem more inviting than imposing.

We will definitely stay with them again.

A Fabulous experience!

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Caracalla Suite~ The most Romantic spot in Savannah! We had two beautiful suite rooms, impossibly tall ceilings, a Jacuzzi,romantic four poster canopy bed, and two fireplaces!We had to push ourselves to leave the Rooms to see the City!After a wonderful horse drawn carriage ride and tour of the squares,
My boyfriend had taken advantage of the concierge's skill with Southern Hospitality so I had Flowers, champagne and a massage waiting for me - So relaxing and special after a long day of sightseeing.
We did see some construction in the halls but, the staff was attentive to our needs and apologetic for any inconvenience.Overall a great time and our privacy was not disturbed, so we were just overwhelmed by the luxury of the whole experience.
We'll definitely be back!

Anna Stevens
Los Angeles, Ca

Gastonian a Beatiful, Relaxing Haven!

From the moment I arrived, I felt welcomed and relaxed. The people working at the Gastonian made me feel right at home and immediately steered me into the dining room for complimentary drinks and delicious hors d'oeuvres. After sitting a while on the front porch swing, winding down after my long drive, I headed up to my room. The beautiful canopy bed and swimming-pool size bath tub made my heart skip a beat. For a working mom who doesn't travel away from home much anymore, this was just the haven I was looking for! I put my order in for breakfast in the morning, climbed into the bubble bath and lounged around in my cozy complimentary robe until I drifted off to sleep in my big bed. The breakfast was served promptly the next morning and was delicious! This was by far the most wonderful experience I've had at a B&B and the staff service was seamless! Thank you to everyone at The Gastonian for my relaxing night of bliss!

Fantastic Get Away

by TripAdvisor Member Travelers4Alberta

We just returned from a 3 night stay at the Gastonian. We stayed in the Oglethorpe Penthouse Suite. We were a bit nervous about staying at the Gastonian after reading the recent reviews, but we do not regret keeping our reservation. Our only regret is that it was only for 3 nights.

Perhaps we are just low maintenance guests, but we found the staff very helpful and friendly. They did not hover around us, but once you approached them they were extremely helpful and quietly friendly. Every staff member knew our names, in fact 2 separate concierges who made our reservations for dinner and a tour, did not even need to ask our names and we had not met them prior to asking for the bookings.

The food was wonderful. The desserts and afternoon appetizers were delicious.

The Gastonian is in a wonderful location. It is as quiet as those old buildings can be.

I would not hesitate to stay or recommend the Gastonian.

A Butterfly!A Butterfly!

City HallCity Hall

Fleur de lis fencingFleur de lis fencing

THERE IS THE STOW AWAY WAVING TO US !!!THERE IS THE STOW AWAY WAVING TO US !!!

Historic District Hotel

by Kate2348

I have a reservation at the Econo Lodge hotel in the Historic District. Is this a decent hotel? Is it close enough to River Street and all to be safe to walk back to late at night?

RE: Historic District Hotel

by dziadziu

It has been a few year since visiting "The Good Ole South".Specific to your question re ECONO Lodge I don't know for sure.River St. during the day& evening is no problem BUT LATE @ NIGHT your going to watch your back.( I grew up in Detroit area ) SO be extra careful.The first rest area after state lines have wonderful tourist info centres with great discount coupons & will call the hotel & set up your reduced rate accomodations. Reguards & Good Luck dziadziu. P.S. Charleston WELCOMES tourists ! Savannah TOLERATES tourists(because they need th$m.

RE: Historic District Hotel

by jharper

hey kate,

the econo lodge is only about a 5 to 10 min walk from bay street. Which is great! But as it gets dark in savannah please be carful and try not to walk around alone. It is best to walk with friends or if you have to bite the bullet and take a cab. There are lots of other great places in savannah besides bay street.. even for night life (actually especially for night life!).

good luck and contact me if you want to know more!

Jonathan