The Planters Inn On Reynolds Square

Planters Inn on Reynolds Square
Planters Inn On Re Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 78% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Perfect setting/location

The Planters Inn exceeded all our expectations from the moment they unloaded our car and parked it to packing our car and giving us directions out of town. Wonderful, friendly helpful staff....Evening wine and cheese gathering.....comfortable room with a balcony overlooking the park..........quiet location but quite close to the River scene and other tourist attracts and located next door to the best restaurant in town.
    Wonderful!!!!!.. I would recommend this to anyone and everyone

Directions: Historic District within two blocks of the River area

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

THE place to be seen

I have not stayed here that I can remember- but did in sister hotel in Charleston. This hotel is 65 rooms, all specially decorated and each unique. The hotel was built about early 1900's and called John Wesley Hotel until sold to Planter's Inn in 1984. Still a cherished landmark in this charming city.

• Newzoo's Profile Photo

True southern hospitality

Located in the historic district, Planters Inn provides excellent accomodations for those wanting convenience, comfort, and hospitality.

The inn is elegantly decorated and the service is far above average. Hotel staff will carry your bags from your vehicle, then park your car in their garage for you. Complimentary continental breakfast, evening wine hour, and nightly turn-down service (with chocolate on your pillow) are just a few of the amenities. The Olde Pink House restaurant is just next door, and most sights are within walking distance from the hotel, including River Street.

The rooms are nice without being overly decorated or stuffy. If possible, get a balcony room, which provides a great view of Reynolds Square. The view at night is especially brilliant. (Be aware that, while the rooms that overlook the square have great views, the crowds can be a little noisy during peak times. I didn't find it particularly bothersome, but some might.)

It is more expensive than your average chain hotel, but worth it if you're looking for above-average accomodations.

Directions: Located on Reynold Square in historic district.

More about The Planters Inn On Reynolds Square

Wonderful, Quanit Inn

I was spending some mother/daughter time in Savannah, and my mother booked the Planters Inn. I was so pleased that she found it! We arrived, the valet was extremely friendly, the front desk staff was very helpful - booked us on the trolley tour we wanted, made dinner recommendations, etc.

The wine and cheese was a nice touch and the continental breakfast was really quite wonderful for a "continental" breakfast.

The setting and furnishings were very historic-looking and fit in perfectly with the historic district.

If I ever make it back to Savannah, I won't stay anywhere else.

Thank you!!

PERFECT IN EVERY WAY

We enjoyed our stay at the Planters Inn. The entire stay was PERFECT! The front desk staff was helpful and friendly. The room was well appointed and the amenities were great. My sister and I get together every year and I can assure you this will be on our list to do again. We took a tour with Oglethorpe Trolley Tours and had a great time. No stay in Savannah is complete without eating at the Lady and Sons restaurant.

Valet wrecked my 2004 truck and my bill is for an extra day

We arrived on Saturday July 24th. I parked on the street all weekend. Sunday night I let Planters Inn park my vehicle,so I wouldn't have to worry about feeding the meters on Monday. The valet hit the garage in my new 2004 Ford pickup. At first it was just my mirror,until I started on my way to see the damage. It then became my doors, fender, bed lid, rear bumper, moldings, door alignments(we had to quit using the back door on passenger side), and possibly an alignment. I spent one hour Sunday night,and three hours Monday morning with the police on it. We finished our vacation in Charleston(this was planned). My ford dealership gave me an estimate of $4800 yesterday without an alignment and no tire damage. This took me an additional 4 hours yesterday. I made numerous calls to their insurance company during the rest of my vacation and had to play phone tag and call three different numbers to get to right people. I got back from my estimate and receive my crededit card bill. Planters Inn not only did not discount my room or give it to me for ruining our vacation they charged me for Friday night. I was working Friday night in Louisville. I called the manager(Marc Friday) and he wanted me to fax him a copy of my credit card bill. I did this and he calls me back and says we are showed staying three nights. He has to do research and will get back to me. I am now awaiting insurance company to get my truck repaired and Marc to correct my bill. This is incredible. I was referred by a friend who frequents this place with others. They are not making friends.

Great potential, but not there yet

by TripAdvisor Member Actonfam

Planters Inn is overpriced (I paid $169 a night thru a travel agent) for the amenities, but in a good location, clean, and quiet. The inn has tremendous potential but they really need some upgrading of the public spaces, and some thought given to using the space better. My room was small but the bed was very comfortable, the room was really wonderfully quiet, and the bathroom was nice. The lobby is lovely but underutilized. The most outstanding problem for me was that they serve a lousy breakfast and hold their evening wine and cheese hour in a messy little drop ceilinged room with no light and cheap card tables and chairs. This room was so depressing and unpleasant we only ate breakfast there once even though our rate included those amenities. We took our wine and cheese to our little room and ate it sitting on the bed! Had they put the food and drinks in the lobby with some nice flowers, some muted lighting and had some music, it would be lovely. However, on a really positive note, we had a wonderful night manager who brought us wine and cheese after we had arrived late at night after a really awful airplane trip there. He was SO friendly and helpful, he really made our stay there much better than it would have been without him.

Had Good Stays and Bad Stays

by TripAdvisor Member bgraboski

I compare the Planters Inn to a rose. Sometimes the hotel is beautiful...other times it is just a thorn in my side. I have stayed at the hotel three times in the past five years and have one wonderful stay, one good stay, and one horrid stay. I will start with the good. The location for this hotel can't be beat (expect for the Hyatt maybe). Located right on one of the squares, one block from Bay St and two blocks from River Street. The first time I stayed here was over St. Patricks day about 5 years ago. I wouldn't give a review of any hotel at that time because Savannah is just crazy then. Everyone, including myself is drunk for three days.

On this trip I had no problems and everything was as expected. I actually met my future wife while at the hotel that weekend so it held a special place in our hearts.

For Valentines day 2004 I decieded to surprise my wife and take her for a romantic getway to this hotel where we meet some years ago. I booked a top floor room with fireplace for the romantic weekend. That is where everything went downhill. Three days before getting to Savannah, the desk calls to confirm my reservation to make sure I was coming. I assured them I was. After a four hour drive we arrived in Savannah ready to check in. At check in, I was told that they didn't have our fireplace room (the most expensive rooms in the place). They informed me that the renovations to the top floors were not done! Renovations? They never mentioned anything about that when I made the reservations or when they called to confirm. So I ask for their next best room. They tell me all the big room are on the floors that are not done. They only have standard rooms. Now I was fuming. I have been in the "standard rooms" and they are not what you call romantic. With nothing left to do as most hotel were already sold out, I took the room and asked for the manager to call me. When I got to my room I was in the worlds smallest room on the 2nd floor with a view of a parking deck and looking into a dumpster from the renovations. Nasty.

After 24 hours, the manager finally called. I explained to him that I booked a fireplace room for $219/nt and was stuck in a tiny room looking into a dumpter. He said sorry, renovations aren't complete...do you want to see? Ah, no. After venting to him, I told him there was no way I was paying $219 for this room and that he needed to take care of it. He said he would. What I got was a $169 room overlooking dumpster. Thats is, he took off $50/night. Upon checking out, I called the manager again myself and told him this was not acceptable. He asked what he could do and I said that I would like a free night in the fireplace room when it was completed. He said OK, we will mail you a certificate and took my address. One month passed and nothing. I emailed the manager and he said "whoops, I forgot". Month later, nothing. Deceided to email him everyday until he mailed it. Finially I got my certificate for free weekend. Overall, it was one of the worst experiences I have had with a hotel.

We deceided to use our certificate for a weekend in the summer. It was like night and day. Our room was a corner room 8th floor and was twice the size of the valentines day room (and I mean litterly, twice the size). Everything was great. The wine hour upstairs was great, the people were nice, and guests were a great group of people.

With that said, the location for this hotel is great. The rooms are adequate, if a little pricey. Some rooms are uncomfortably small, others much bigger. Really the only reason I would go back to the hotel is due to the fact that my wife and I meet here. Overall I had better experiences and the Marriott and Hyatt (both on the river, both a little bit more money). With the Planters Inn, you just don't know what you are going to get. Could be great...could be a pain your side.

A nice referral

We were referred by a near by hotel and we were amazed that we hadn't found the secret out earlier. We arrived with a multitude of people checking in and were promptly taken care of by the courteous and friendly staff. While the bellman was putting out baggage in our room, the concierege suggested that we attend the wine and cheese reception. The perfect suggestion!

Breakfast was wonderful the next two days, the rooms was clean and smelled fresh, and the staff couldn't have been nicer. The inn was so charming-we loved it! They made us feel like special guests !

Reynolds Square - Affordable Lodging Near the square

by Reetercat

Hi there ... We are going to a wedding and we'd like to stay somewhere within walking distance from the Planters Inn, (that's a little more affordable. Thanks!

Re: Reynolds Square - Affordable Lodging Near the square

by herussell

I've been doing tons of research since we're going down there at the end of the month- I've found that you can stay in a 4 star hotel right outside of Savannah for the same price of a 2 star hotel in town. I know that really doesn't help, but maybe gives a little insight. =)

Re: Reynolds Square - Affordable Lodging Near the square

by brkilbourne

Hampton Inn on Bay st would be your best bet. 3 blocks away. All else except old Days inn or old best western on the West side.

Comments