The River Street Inn

124 East Bay Street, Savannah, Georgia, 31401, United States

River Street Inn
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Priceline.com

Costs 45% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• do NOT stay at this hotel

my family (me, wife, and 2 young children) stayed at this hotel last weekend. we arrived at 330pm (30 minutes before check-in) to find the reservation area full of folks waiting to check-in. at 4pm, we asked about our room and were told that the room is not ready and that we will be notified when it is available. at 420pm, i inquired about the room again and was told that the room was still not ready although i had seen several other couples (older, no kids) head to their rooms. i told the staff that i was disappointed that our room was not ready given that we had just spent 6 hours in the car and that my kids were ready to rest. at that point, a doorman told me to calm down and that he understood the situation and that our room would be ready soon. apparently, all rooms checked out that day which is why many rooms were not ready. i asked him if he had kids and he said no. i then explained to him that he couldn't relate to my situation. this escalated our conversation to the point that the reception offered to call the police to help solve this situation. great customer service, right? needless to say, the police were not called and we were given another room that was ready. the entire issue could have been avoided had our room been ready or the staff had been professional. savannah has tons of hotels. stay somewhere else.

Unique Quality: poor customer service, unfriendly staff

Directions: river street location - if you are a tourist and want to hangout where all the other tourists are located so you can buy generic savannah t-shirts, this is your place. if you want to experience real savannah, stay anywhere else.

• I would not recommend this Inn

I had really looked forward to staying at this historic hotel and was quite disappointed for several reasons.
    1.No matter how cold I set the A/C on, it was still humid. I rinsed out a very light weight nylon top and 2 days later it was still wet. The carpet always felt damp on my feet.

2. The bed was uncomfortable and the pillows like small rocks - bring your own

3. The room card keys are also used for elevator access and access to the hotel from RiverStreet. I had to have mine redone 3 times as they only worked once or twice at most. This was very frustrating. I was told ; don't put them next to any credit or debit cards, don't put them close to your cell phone and (this is an exact quote) "they shouldn't even be next to each other". Hello I'm a single guest as well as a woman who carries a purse. Ended up putting them in my jeans pocket - not my first choice.

4. "Wildlife". Now I live in Fl so "wildlife" as we call it here aka "palmetto bugs" are a part of many of our daily encounters. BUT even I was freaked out by the monster I found at 6am in the bathroom. After chasing it down and mortally wounding it, the critter crawled under the bathroom cabinet to lay legs up. It took 3 calls and 2 days for housekeeping to come and remove the corpse.

5. Parking - On the website it says you will be told where to park when you check in. Uh right. Where are you supposed to park to check in? Luckily I had previously stayed at the Holiday Inn Express across the street ( GREAT HOTEL) and knew the municipal parking lot was there. Of course this means dragging your "stuff" down the street, across the street, up steps, over a little bridge, down steps and then into the hotel. Ok for me but could be an issue for some. I inquired about the parking pass I heard another guest talking about and was told "we don't have any more of those" O......K...... I was in the garage from Sat afternoon until Wed AM and the total cost was $31.

6. Late checkout - I was there for a conference which was across the river at the Westin. I asked for a 1 hour late checkout and was told "call us midmorning to see if it will be possible. It will depend on how many checkins we have". Hmm checkin is at 3pm... I ended up missing the last morning of the conference due to this.

7. No inhouse wifi, if you are lucky you can get the outside system. Difficult to connect.

As a previous reviewer said, the desk staff is not very friendly. The housekeeping people are nice as are the bellboys. I just did not have the nerve to ask them to tote my stuff on their luggage carrier across the street to the parking garage.

In conclusion I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone. The Holiday Inn Express across the street is very nice, good pillows, free breakfast. I thought I wanted a historic hotel experience. It was a mistake.

Unique Quality: Good Location

Directions: Historic District on River street. Across River Street to the River Boat cruises. Plenty of shops

• April1985's Profile Photo

A haunted Treasure !

So, My Mom had booked this room before we left from Atlantic City. When we got there, people were waiting in line to get a room, and they were all booked. It was a good thing we made reservations. We had goten the very last room in the whole place. When we got to our room, it was very pretty. Very "Georgia" There was a queen size bed, which my mom and i had to share, which was fine for me, but bad for her. (I tend to toss and turn a lot). When I woke up, i turned around and saw my mom still sleeping. I Pushed her, and she didnt move, she was like a rock. So i said, mom wake up.. MOM WAKE UP.. and finally she came out of the bathroom, and said Im awake, what!? and i flipped out. i jumped out of the bed, and i pointed to the form of a body under the blanket. My mom was shocked because she always makes the bed when she wakes up. (her side anyway) she touched it and it was solid. (continued in unique qualities)

Unique Quality: After she touched it, it was like, a poof of air and it fell to the bed. My mom was freaked out, as was I. So, I went to the bathroom, and decided not to flush until i came out of the shower, because i didnt know how the water pressure was in georgia.. so.. i hop in the shower, and im washing my hair .. and .. all of a sudden i hear the toilet flush .. freaked out, i open the curtain and see no one, i look at the toilet, and its not one of those fancy toilets, its an old fashion toliet, and i mean OLD toilet.. no way could it have flushed on its own ... so i continue to wash my hair, and i turn the shower off. i open the curtain, and i look at the mirror. it was all foggy and it looked like some one had touched the mirror, and i looked down and saw two wet footmarks on the ground. by this point i thought my mom was playing a trick on me . but i never heard the door open. I was extremely freaked out. I ran out of the bathroom and asked my mom why she was playing with me like that, and she said she had been watching the news this whole time. I was so freaked out. But you know, they say that Savannah Georgia is on the top haunted places in the US. it was a very scary experience. But non the less, i would love to go again!

Directions: Right on river street

• WulfstanTraveller's Profile Photo

Great Hotel

We had a wonderful stay here in this inn, located in an old cotton building on the riverfront of Savannah. It's in downtown and within easy walking distance of most of the major sites, great restaurants, etc. We were able to walk everywhere in the downtown area of Savannah, many places were right next door, and we had a geat view out the window and balcony across theriver. We could also watch cargo ships sail past the hotel and the tugboats scramble to help them navigate the waters.

Unique Quality: Neat old building, great location to rest of key sites and eateries in Savannah, great views.

Directions: On the river on north edge of town. Easiest to get to it from Bay St., one block in from river, rather than River St. There are parking turnouts where you can unload and the lobby's on that level so access is easier. River St. is 3 storeys below Bay St.

• Charming Savannah Hotel

We stayed in a luxurious room with a balcony that had a great view of River Street. The room was comfortable and the staff were very professional.

Unique Quality: This hotel is built from an old cotton warehouse. The walls are still the brick and stone of the pre-Civil War structure.

Directions: River Street waterfront.

• Newzoo's Profile Photo

Rooms with a view

River Street Inn is my favorite hotel in Savannah. And, considering it isn't easy to find inexpensive hotels in the historic district, this hotel is a great deal, even if a little more expensive.

The hotel is built into an old warehouse on River Street, and some of the rooms have magnificent river views. Although they charge a little more for these rooms, the comfort, convenience, and view make it well worth it.

Accomodations are top notch and service is excellent, although during peak times you may experience short waits during check-in.

Directions: Located just off the Savannah River. You can walk from the back of the hotel to all the shops and restaurants on River Street, or from the front to the historic district. They provide a parking garage just across the street.

More about The River Street Inn

The Best Place For a Night on the River

by TripAdvisor Member Colewade

Having lived in Savannah in the 1980s as a college student, I had always said that I would return one day when I can afford a nice room with a balcony on River Street where I could watch the mighty ships go up river to the port of Savannah. For that singular experience River Street Inn definitely fits the bill. The view has improved over the years with Westin’s magnificent resort towering across the west channel. Having lived in Savannah, I can tell you that River Street in and of itself is not to be mistaken for Savannah itself. The heart of this city lies around those moss draped squares and side streets that span inland from the river for a couple of miles. Savannah is glorious and a little less gritty these days and requires a good pair of shoes from River Street.

Our richly furnished red room was quite large and clean. Large wing back chairs flanked a black lacquer table in the corner by a window with stunning view of the bridge and riverfront. As mentioned by some other reviewers the balcony was more less a tiny perch. There is room for two to stand side-by-side if you close the French door. The balconies off the rooms in the West wing do appear to be slightly larger. Though it may be tempting, resist the urge to sleep with the door open listening for distant fog horns to lull you to sleep. The trash trucks and the occasional drunken reveler will surely end that dream. Service was nice enough. We got the room we asked for the first time. Turndown chocolates and Gilchrist and Soams products and comfy robes were a plus.

Though this hotel does have the Historic Hotels of America designation, don’t expect the St. Regis. This is a big money 1980s renovation of some very old cotton warehouse and office complexes that date from the days of the sailing ship. Though looking slightly worn around the edges, this inn still offers perfectly comfortable lodging. The River Street Inn is essentially the center section of the upper floors of the historic center warehouse section of River Street.

A steel bridge connects the third floor main entrance and small lobby to Bay Street. We had to take the elevator to reach our limited access fifth floor room as the main staircase does not go to the fifth floor. Even the elevator provides a view of the river while being barely noticeable from outside the building. We didn’t make it to the evening manager’s reception down in the bar, but breakfast at Huey’s downstairs was excellent for breakfast. One floor up from Huey’s on River Street, Tubby’s Tankhouse seemed very popular providing a deck area of outdoor dining over the river

Great Location But Not So Great Anything Else

Savannah is a wonderful place to visit--we visit as often as we can. We have stayed at the River Street Inn at least 5 times in 3 years. On each visit we found some things that needed improvement, but the view of the river, the cargo ships and the fireworks from our fifth floor balcony was so great we decided to book another visit for July 4th again this year.

This year we arrived early but waited until the 4PM check-in to stop by the hotel. What we found was a lobby full of guests also looking to check in. Each one had some sort of problem with their reservation. When our turn in line came, the desk clerks muttered for a few minutes looking for a room to assign to us. The indication was that they were waiting for a river view room to become available--presumably they don't have all of the rooms cleaned by check-in. So we sat for about 1 hour, and when our turn came again, they gave us a room. Yes, it was a river view room with a balcony, but not the fifth floor room that we had requested and were assured we would receive when we booked this visit back in March 2005.

The rooms are getting a bit worn, as are other areas of the inn. It doesn't look like the owners of this establishment put any money back into it. Some examples of this: The room had the iron but no ironing board. The hair dryer in the bath looked like a flea market find. The dinky 13" television across the room from the bed didn't make watching enjoyable--though at least the remote worked this year. The bath tub did not drain so you stand in ankle deep water during your shower. There was no turn down service or chocolates as we've had on other stays. None of the used furniture that they decorate the rooms with compliments the room. The palm trees in pots on the side porch were dead or dying.

They also don't seem to clean their wood floors. If you take your shoes off and walk around on the floor your feet will be filthy in no time. This makes you wonder how clean everything else in your room is.

When we tried to check out at an odd hour the desk clerk didn't know how to complete the transaction and again we had to wait for her to call someone by phone to walk her through the check-out process. The staff seems uncaring but I wonder if really it's just their frustration showing through because they get no support from management or owners.

The overall feel of the River Street Inn is that there is no owner or on-site manager who cares enough to build a good reputation. I guess if you have a good location you don't have to try as hard to bring people back. We're good examples of this--at least until now. We will be at the Marriott next year.

Great Place to Stay

Ok folks here's the deal. This hotel is right on River Street which is a tourist area of Savannah along the Savannah river. This is a historic hotel, so it is not as modern as a Hyatt or Westin. But our room was killer. Very clean. We had a river view balcony room. We had a great view of the river, river street, and the islands.

If you are noise sensitive dont stay in one of these rooms or quite possibly this hotel. I could hear the large container ships go by (low low rumble) and plenty of people on river street. The rooms are brick so other than noise coming through the closed windows which was minor really, the rooms were quiet. Around 9 in the morning we could hear some music and singing, but it wasnt enought to keep us awake.. This is not a good hotel if you want supreme peace and quiet and like to sleep in on vacations.. Stay at the westin across the river or the hyatt on river street.

No room service here, which was fine, plenty to eat elsewhere. Late night dining is tough, couldnt find anything past 1130 that served food other than vinny van go go's in city market which is awesome.

Stan at The River Street Inn was a great help and a true professional. A super nice guy.

The river brunch cruise was great, food was decent for the price, views were excellent and a lot of great info about savannah. Recommended.

I would go back anytime.

Old building with a lot of charm!

by TripAdvisor Member corp104

The River Street Inn is an old building that has been revitalized. This Inn is just what we expected when we arrived in Savannah. It took a little getting used to since the main lobby and desk is on the fourth floor, but the fourth floor is street level at the entrance on Bay street. River St. is actually 58 feet lower than Bay St. The room was clean, the staff was friendly and, even though we didn't have turn-down service, everything was fine. We asked for a river view and we received it. It was kind of nice watching the street performers from our balcony overlooking River Street. Watching the people from all walks of life stroll by beneath us as the container ships maneuvered through the channel of the Savannah River was quite refreshing. Once the balcony door was closed the noise was minimal. The bed was comfortable, the A/C worked. The room was clean and tended to each day by the friendly housekeepers. What more could you ask for while staying at an historic Inn? Parking is either on the street or in a garage across Bay St. It's a little walking but you probably won't need your vehicle anyway, since everything is within walking distance. You can park right in front of the Inn to load or unload your vehicle but you'll have to move it to a metered spot or to the parking garage. $6.00 a day isn't too much for a city parking pass!

River Street- SavannahRiver Street- Savannah

RIVER STREET, SAVANNAHRIVER STREET, SAVANNAH

River Street, SavannahRiver Street, Savannah

River Street, Savannah, GARiver Street, Savannah, GA

Please help me choose a place to stay.

by 95Tuck

I'm planning a romantic getaway in late August. I've got it narrowed down to the East Bay Inn, Planters Inn, and River St Inn. Any info woul be greatly appreciated.

RE: Please help me choose a place to stay.

by brkilbourne

East Bay Inn. Great location.
BK

RE: Please help me choose a place to stay.

by 95Tuck

We stayed at the River Street Inn. The room had dirty carpet and some kind of stain on the wall that looked like blood. I know the place is historic but it should atleast be clean. The location is great but so are Planters and East Bay.

Comments