Thunderbird Inn

611 West Oglethorpe Avenue, Savannah, Georgia, 31401, United States

The Thunderbird Inn
Travelocity Orbitz.com Expedia.com

• The Yuck Factor!

Upon arrival I was initially pleased with the charming and funny desk guy who upgraded me to a nice king suite. When my room was not cleaned on the 2nd day I went to the laundry room to get clean towels and I noticed that a young woman was pouring the contents of half empty bottles of soap into other half empty bottles which were the same kind of soap shampoo and conditioner containers that were in my room.

I asked what she was doing and she told me that the manager Mark Thomas instructed her to re-use all the amenities that were left by previous guests and that although she found this practice repugnant she would be fired if she did not comply.

She handed me fresh towels and I returned to my room and threw out all the soap bottles and drove to a nearby CVS store to buy new personal items. Needles to say this unhygienic practice is repulsive and a huge health risk and the reason why I would never stay at this hotel again.

When I was googling their website to lodge a complaint I found this site which contains a whole litany of complaints regarding their GM Mark Thomas

Directions: West side and out of the historic district

• deebum25's Profile Photo

an interesting hotel

We went looking for inexpensive accomodations and thought this would be pretty fun as it was rated as a hip hotel. It was recently refurbished and is decidedly retro but at least some of the decor is new.

It wasn't a bad place to stay and certainly worth the discounted price we paid for it. We had no problems checking in or out. However the carpets were badly stained and needed to be replaced. They didn't smell but it you didn't want to walk around barefoot either. The receptionist wasn't overly helpful but she certainly wasn't rude and it was within walking distance of everywhere that we wanted to be. In all it was a neutral experience except for the carpet. Yech.

• Nantesha's Profile Photo

Great place to stay!

After the horrid "America's best value inn: Thunderbird was like heaven. The room was clean and smelled clean. The shower was ok (shower pressure was low) and after we decided to stay another night, they forgot to clean our room. They had free breakfast: 3 choices of cereal, coffee, two juices, great creamers, bagel and pastries. The staff was very nice and pleasant. We checked the prices for the surrounding hotels and the cheapest place was over $100. For the price, thunderbird was great, the fabulous because it was in the heart of town.

Unique Quality: Thunderbird inn has been around for a long time and they have their own scary stories (ask the people that work there), which is charming because Savannah is one of the most haunted places in the US. They staff was very pleasant and accommodating. They let us see the room before we charged for it. You could book the trolly tour with the hotel and they pick you up there. Everything is walking distance so you could experience the entire town in a day.

• GUYON's Profile Photo

A classical motel

We wanted to have some motels in our trip. The Tripadvisor reviews about Thunderbird Inn were very good, telling the motel had been recently remodeled. A VT member told me she will stay in this motel before us and she agreed to give us her advice. I did not receive any information but it did not matter because I have already booked a room.

The motel is on Oglethorpe Avenue, only 3 blocks to the historic district, with a stop of the free shuttle nearby and 2 blocks from the visitors center. So it is a cheap solution to stay near the city center.

Unique Quality: Room : not very large, clean and recently refurnished. Situated at the ground floor. All the rooms are facing the Oglethorpe avenue and we heard trucks early in the morning
    Bed : king. Comfortable
    Bath room : tub and shower, sink in the room
    TV : 70 channels & HBO (films without advertisement)
    Kitchen : no, but a large fridge. No micro wave
    Iron : yes with iron board
    Hair dryer : yes
    Ice machine : yes but very "tired"
    Newspaper : no
    Internet : free access in all room
    Breakfast (7:00 to 10:00AM) : cakes, cereals, orange juce. Free but not good. Go to Ray's Famous cafe, 2 blocks further, even the sheriff takes his breakfast there
    Parking : free

Pool : no

Price : 110.88$ tax included (reservation through Travelocity)
    Check in : 2PM - Check out : noon

Directions: By US 17 Exit W Oglethorpe

More about Thunderbird Inn

soul food

by deebum25 about Mom & Nikki's

It's my understanding that Nikki's has moved from what used to be strictly takeaway to her new location of MLK Boulevard. My husband and I visited on a Saturday at lunchtime and were warmly greeted by Nikki herself. Mom was sitting at a nearby table chatting with a friend. Nikki detailed the five different kinds of meat she had available that day, as well as the sides. The food is served cafeteria style and she has no problem loading up your plate! Meat and three with sweet tea for two was $18 and change. My husband was disappointed to know that she was out of hood juice but he survived. We walked from our hotel, the Thunderbird Inn and it took about 20 minutes but there is parking nearby. This is some great food and that's from somebody who loves to cook and eat! I tried the baked chicken. Fall off the bone tender, simply seasoned, delicious! For sides I had green beans, squash and mac and cheese and I couldn't have made any of them better myself. Even the tea was good and I'm not a big fan of sweet tea. My husband had the liver and you barely had to chew it. It was all great!

Great find in Savannah!

by TripAdvisor Member Leo35

My husband and I stayed at the Thunderbird Inn in Savannah for 2 nights and had a wonderful experience. The room was spotless and decorated in a retro/modern style that was comfortable and fun. The walk to the historic district was very easy and not far at all. I never felt unsafe and walked after dark both nights that we stayed at the Thunderbird. The bed was extemely comfortable (down comforter!) and the pillows and towels were better than anything you would get at a higher priced hotel. There was a bit of noise from traffic, but the A/C unit in the room masked alot of the sound coming from the road. The staff were friendly and knowlegable about the surrounding area and offered good advice on where to go. We usually travel to Savannah twice a year and have stayed in all kinds of places (B&Bs, hotels) but none were as fun and convenient (and well-priced!) as the Thunderbird. From now on, that's where we'll stay.

They aren't kidding about the beds!

by TripAdvisor Member NC-Happy-Camper

My husband and I, who go to Savannah every chance get, decided to schedule an impromtu New Year's visit this year. The places we would typically stay were either booked, or were charging exhorbitant rates due to the holiday. During one of the trolley tours we had taken, the Thunderbird Inn had been pointed out to us, and I was intrigued by the retro allure, so we chose to make a reservation. As we spend most of our time at either the Riverfront or City Market, I was a little leary of it's location, but the brief stroll was not bad at all. We even got caught in a surprise rainshower on our walk home from the New Year's celebration on the Riverfront, but even soaking wet in early January, the walk (or run, in this case) wasn't bad. The rooms, though small, had everything we needed,but I was disappointed that they weren't nearly as "kitsch-y" as I had imagined. They were cute, all the same. I was afraid, it being a motor-inn, and right next to a main thoroughfare, that we'd have problems with noise, but this was not the case. Like many have said in previous reviews, the beds are unbelievably comfortable, and the linens very nice. (We are actually looking for the same mattress set for our home- it was that cozy!) The only downside I could see was that in a couple of the rooms downstairs, there were some "shady" looking characters who parked their chairs in the doorways of their rooms, day and night, giving the hotel an almost seedy vibe. Also, when we got back pretty late one night, there were no parking spaces available, so we had to create a space. All in all, you'll not find a hotel in any touristy area in any city that is as nice as The Thunderbird for such a great price.

Needs some updating (and soundproofing)

by TripAdvisor Member jlc4

Let me start by saying that the location of this hotel was very good - easy walking distance to the historic district and the price was great. The service was also very good; the employees were friendly and helpful. The beds were fairly comfortable and the rooms were a good size.

Unfortunately, first room I was put in was ostensibly a non-smoking room, but smelled like an ashtray. The man at the front desk was very happy to change my room. The new one didn't smell like smoke, but it did smell vaguely of cabbage. There were stains on the rug and the duvet cover, too.

The worst part was how easy it was to hear the people in the next room (and out on the sidewalk and in the parking lot) - the small children that literally yelled from the time they woke up in the morning (6:30) until they went to sleep at night (10:30). I think they must have gotten it from their father, he came banging on the door at 11:30.

Hopefully, the next time they renovate it will be soon and they'll invest in some soundproofing.

not bad

by TripAdvisor Member historyguy

Not bad at all onsidering prices in the historic district. The room was rather small but quiet and the beds were very comfortable. The bus station is pretty much empty and the area where the Thunderbird is located feels safe and secure now ( I lived in Savannah during the 1980s and 1990s so I can see a big change in the area.) If you are on a budget and want a decent hotel in the district then this is it.

Perfect for us

by TripAdvisor Member Hallie85

The hotel just edges on the historic area of Savannah. The staff were all extremely friendly and welcoming. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. This is a great place to stay if you want a clean, safe & comfortable place to base your visit from...not really a hotel that you would hang out at. We visited from Florida on our Harley, and we were ready to explore. This hotel was PERFECT for us!!! It kind of reminded me of college! And yes, the beds are awesome!!!

Savannah/Tybee Island Transportation

by mizmoss

My husband and I are planning a trip to Savannah in early May. We are planning on staying at the Thunderbird Inn near downtown, but want to spend days at the beach. If we can get away with not renting a car, that would be great. But, I haven't been able to get any information about whether or not there is a shuttle service, trolley, etc. to the beach!

Re: Savannah/Tybee Island Transportation

by TexasDave

To my knowledge there is no such thing, but you could verify by calling Savannah Visitor's Bureau 1-877-SAVANNAH.

Re: Savannah/Tybee Island Transportation

by counsel14

I'm afraid you're going to have to rent a car. There is no trolley service, there are cabs but they can get quite expensive and may not be available to get you back to where you're staying...they'll drop you off anywhere though. no bus service that i know of, either.
Susan