Thunderbird Inn

Tags

Seniors School Holidays Historical Travel
See Amenities

The Yuck Factor!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 26, 2010

Upon arrival I was initially pleased with the charming and funny desk guy who upgraded me to a nice king suite. When my room was not cleaned on the 2nd day I went to the laundry room to get clean towels and I noticed that a young woman was pouring the contents of half empty bottles of soap into other half empty bottles which were the same kind of soap shampoo and conditioner containers that were in my room.

I asked what she was doing and she told me that the manager Mark Thomas instructed her to re-use all the amenities that were left by previous guests and that although she found this practice repugnant she would be fired if she did not comply.

She handed me fresh towels and I returned to my room and threw out all the soap bottles and drove to a nearby CVS store to buy new personal items. Needles to say this unhygienic practice is repulsive and a huge health risk and the reason why I would never stay at this hotel again.

When I was googling their website to lodge a complaint I found this site which contains a whole litany of complaints regarding their GM Mark Thomas

Directions: West side and out of the historic district

deebum25's Profile Photo

an interesting hotel

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 25, 2008

We went looking for inexpensive accomodations and thought this would be pretty fun as it was rated as a hip hotel. It was recently refurbished and is decidedly retro but at least some of the decor is new.

It wasn't a bad place to stay and certainly worth the discounted price we paid for it. We had no problems checking in or out. However the carpets were badly stained and needed to be replaced. They didn't smell but it you didn't want to walk around barefoot either. The receptionist wasn't overly helpful but she certainly wasn't rude and it was within walking distance of everywhere that we wanted to be. In all it was a neutral experience except for the carpet. Yech.

Nantesha's Profile Photo

Great place to stay!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 5, 2008

After the horrid "America's best value inn: Thunderbird was like heaven. The room was clean and smelled clean. The shower was ok (shower pressure was low) and after we decided to stay another night, they forgot to clean our room. They had free breakfast: 3 choices of cereal, coffee, two juices, great creamers, bagel and pastries. The staff was very nice and pleasant. We checked the prices for the surrounding hotels and the cheapest place was over $100. For the price, thunderbird was great, the fabulous because it was in the heart of town.

Unique Quality: Thunderbird inn has been around for a long time and they have their own scary stories (ask the people that work there), which is charming because Savannah is one of the most haunted places in the US. They staff was very pleasant and accommodating. They let us see the room before we charged for it. You could book the trolly tour with the hotel and they pick you up there. Everything is walking distance so you could experience the entire town in a day.

GUYON's Profile Photo

A classical motel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 31, 2006

We wanted to have some motels in our trip. The Tripadvisor reviews about Thunderbird Inn were very good, telling the motel had been recently remodeled. A VT member told me she will stay in this motel before us and she agreed to give us her advice. I did not receive any information but it did not matter because I have already booked a room.

The motel is on Oglethorpe Avenue, only 3 blocks to the historic district, with a stop of the free shuttle nearby and 2 blocks from the visitors center. So it is a cheap solution to stay near the city center.

Unique Quality: Room : not very large, clean and recently refurnished. Situated at the ground floor. All the rooms are facing the Oglethorpe avenue and we heard trucks early in the morning
Bed : king. Comfortable
Bath room : tub and shower, sink in the room
TV : 70 channels & HBO (films without advertisement)
Kitchen : no, but a large fridge. No micro wave
Iron : yes with iron board
Hair dryer : yes
Ice machine : yes but very "tired"
Newspaper : no
Internet : free access in all room
Breakfast (7:00 to 10:00AM) : cakes, cereals, orange juce. Free but not good. Go to Ray's Famous cafe, 2 blocks further, even the sheriff takes his breakfast there
Parking : free

Pool : no

Price : 110.88$ tax included (reservation through Travelocity)
Check in : 2PM - Check out : noon

• Pets Allowed
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

Savannah Travel Forum

Need advice about Savannah, Georgia? Visit the Travel Forum for Savannah and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Savannah hotel reviews

Hampton Inn & Suites Savannah Historic District
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews
Inn At Ellis Square A Days Hotel
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Holiday Inn Hotel Historic District ( Mulberry Inn )
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews