1401 Strand Ave, Tybee Island, Georgia, 31328, United States

Ocean Plaza Beach Resort
Travelocity Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• Sweet little beach spot

I did Spring Break on Tybee this year instead of the Florida Panhandle.  Some of my friends stayed at other Tybee hotels and they weren't nearly as satisfied as I was at the Ocean Plaza.  If you go to Tybee, the Ocean Plaza really is the only place you want to stay.  It also have the best beach of any of the Tybee hotels.

Unique Quality: Right on the beach. Great access

• Great Spot

These review web sites must draw a lot of negative people. I stayed at the Ocean Plaza and was very pleased. It did not resemble the negative reviews I read online at all. I think more people tend to say bad things on these sites that good things so that is why I am writing this. I want people to know that I had a very positive experience at the Ocean Plaza.

Unique Quality: Right on the beach

Directions: Beach, Right by everything

• Nice Stay

Our room was on the 4th floor of the South tower and had a balcony that overlooked the city, not the beach, which was on the other side of the hotel. Although we didn't have an ocean view, we loved the balcony to relax with the warm breeze and have a few drinks and watch the passersby.

Directions: Close to everything

• Avoid this hotel at all costs!

A friend and I stayed at Ocean Plaza hotel on Tybee Island for a single night. In the middle of the night, police showed up claiming that they could smell weed from our room and requested searching it. It was strange since neither of us smoke cigarettes or weed. When leaving the hotel, we saw many of the hotel's other guest's room being searched and guests arrested. A day or so after checking out, we realized that the hotel had over-charged, well over $400.00 for the single night. If you value your privacy, money, or rights as an American citizen, choose a different hotel or island all together.

• I could not be more pleased

Our family has stayed in Pensacola, FL for a week in August for over 20 years. This year we changed our trip plans because of the oil spill. We looked a several places on the East coast and settled on Tybee Island.

We had never been to Tybee and didn’t know anyone else who had been to Tybee so we hoped for the best. I have to tell you we were kind of concerned because of some of the negative things we’d read online about Tybee and the Ocean Plaza. But we also read plenty of positive things so we decided to give it a try.

I could not be more pleased with our experience on Tybee Island and at the Ocean Plaza Beach Resort. We have already booked our rooms at the Ocean Plaza for August 2011.

Tybee is a much quieter atmosphere for families than the Florida Panhandle. It reminds me of what the Panhandle was when I was a child. And the Ocean Plaza reminds me of what the old hotels used to be like, with large rooms and kind of set back off the street and away from the noise.

Unique Quality: This hotel has the best location on the beach in Tybee.

Directions: On the beach

• worst stay ever

WHERE DO I START? LET'S SEE, FIRST, I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE HAD TO PAY A $200.00 DEPOSIT TO STAY PLUS I NEVER HEARD THEM ASK ANYONE ELSE FOR A DEPOSIT...? YOU HAVE TO PAY EXTRA FOR A FRIDGE, FUNNY, I THOUGHT THIS WAS 2010. NO HAIRDRYER, THAT BOTHERED ME. THE BATHROOM WAS IN THE FRONT OF THE ROOM WHICH WAS ODD AND GUESS WHAT, AFTER OUR SHOWERS, THE SMOKE DETECTOR WENT OFF, GREAT. THE BALCONY DOOR WAS A PAIN TO OPEN, THE ICE MAKER DID NOT WORK ON OUR FLOOR. AND THE BEST PART, 3 BUS LOADS OF CHEERLEADERS, YAY, NOT! I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO MY WORST ENEMY!!!

• A VERY TERRIBLE BEACH VACATION

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE..... READ THIS ENTIRE THING PLEASE........WHEN WE GOT TO THE FRONT ENTRANCE OF THE HOTEL; WE SMELLED A STRONG URINE SMELLED. I WAS TRYING TO GIVE IT THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT; SO WE CONTINUED UP THE ELEVATORS WITH OUR LUGGAGE TO OUR ROOM. OMG, WHEN I OPENED THE DOOR I IMMEDIATETLY SAW A HUGE DIP/DENT IN THE MATTRESS, LIKE ITS BEEN ON THIS BED SINCE THE 1980'S OR SOMETHING. I READ THE REVIEWS AND THOUGHT I DID MY HOMEWORK ON THIS HOTEL, CAUSE THE VERY MISLEADING PICS ON THEIR SITE AND WHAT YOU SEE WHEN YOU GET THERE; THESE PEOPLE SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN FOR RENOVATION OR MAJOR DEEP STERILIZATION AND CLEANING. I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT HOTEL THEY STOLE THESE PICTURES FROM ONLINE; BUT I PROMISE YOU THAT THIS HOTEL DOES NOT LOOK LIKE THAT AT ALL...... I HAVE A LITTLE DAUGHTER AND I REFUSE TO LET ME OR HER USE THAT NASTY EXCUSE FOR A BATHROOM; VERY DIRTY LOOKING, I WOULDN'T LET MY CHILD FEET TOUCH THE CARPET. THE BALCONY DOOR DOESN'T HAVE A LOCK ON IT; ANYONE CAN JUST OPEN IT AND COME IN ESPECIALLY IF YOUR ON THE FIRST FLOOR. I FELT VERY UNSAFE AND REFUSE TO LET MY LUGGAGE SAT IN THE ROOM WHILE WHERE AT THE BEACH; WHEN WE RETURNED I CHECKED OUT IMMEDIATELY. SO I BASICALLY WAS THERE FOR THE BEACH & I WAS NOT GOING TO SPEND THE NIGHT AT THAT HOTEL. I WANTED OUT BADLY AND YOU WILL TOO. BEFORE YOU PAY GO CHECK OUT THE ROOMS PLEASE I URGE YOU... ALSO MOST IMPORTANTLY THE RESTAURANTS ARE NOT FAMILY-ORIENTED; BARS ONLY ON THE ENTIRE BEACHFRONT, WE HAD TO EAT SUBWAY ON OUR VACATION, NOT ONE RESTAURANT I COULDN'T BELIEVE THAT.... I WILL NEVER RETURN GUARANTEED......

Unique Quality: CLOSE TO BEACH

• Tybee Island Ocean Plaza Resort

This was a bare bones hotel. No one to help load or unload luggage. The only people working were in the check-in desk area and there were lots of them. The floor in room felt wet at all times. The entrance lightbulb in the room was missing. The sliding glass doors were difficult to open, even for the strong and able. Bugs were present. No refrigerators or microwave in rooms. Very pricey for what was available. Noisy traffic on the ocean-side of building.

Unique Quality: Close to beach. Nice small pool

• weekend getaway

I was not satisfied with our stay. The online site was misleading for me. There was no roomservice available when amenities included it. We were told when we arrived that they only have roomservice in the summer months. Our room was not clean. Phone was sticky, bathroom shower was very dirty. Also I did not feel safe at this motel. Would not recomend it to anyone that know.

Unique Quality: close to beach

Directions: from savannah river street in savannah take hwy 80

• Adequate accommodation

Motel is large...kinda rundown now...just changing owners. If you fussy, this one is not for you.We were with an Elderhostel tour, so do not even know what regular room rates are.

Unique Quality: Close to the beach, & has rooms with a beach view available

More about Ocean Plaza Beach Resort Tybee Island

Ocean Plaza a Pleasant Surprise!

by TripAdvisor Member Clearview

We had planned a trip to Savannah this year, and on the spur of the moment, went a day early to Tybee Island. We were so delighted to find a room at the Ocean Plaza Resort. We went the second weekend in April and were surprised to find that they were not yet charging high-season prices. We got an excellent room with a beautiful beach view for a reasonable price. The room was very clean, tastefully decorated, and lacked that "beach smell" so often present at beach hotels. The staff was very courteous and friendly. Looking back, I wish we had stayed a little longer. This is the kind of place you'll want to return to.

Nice resort, we would go back.

by TripAdvisor Member SEGMN

We stayed at the Ocean Plaza for four days last weekend. We wanted to visit Savannah but thought a beach resort would be a neat place to stay. The resort is nothing fancy but you pay for what you get. We had an ocean view balcony and were on the second floor. I would recommend requesting third or fourth floor if you reserve an ocean view room. The room was clean and the beach was fabulous (great location). Customer service could be improved, don't expect to check in early (check in is at 4:00pm) and don't expect to get everything you ask for in your room. We requested a King on the third or fourth floor and they had us in a two-queen on the first floor. After some stubborn negotiating on my part, we ended up in a second floor two-queen, good enough. (We also received a military discount which may have had something to do with the designation of our original room.) Ocean Reef Restaurant has great food and a wonderful view of the beach. They take resrvations and requests for tables along the window. Crab cakes were the best ever and service was great as well. Overall, a nice stay, we would definately go back.

Enjoyed our stay

by TripAdvisor Member doctorjr

We stayed at the Ocean Plaza the end of May 2005 and enjoyed our time there. The location on the beach was great. It was never too crowded and the people there were mainly families, so it was not a rowdy beach. I saw dolphins from the pier nearby. We did have to make a room change when we got there. We were given a handicapped accessible room with a handicapped seat in a shower, and I wanted a regular room with a tub. They did move us to a regular room, which happened to be an ocean-view, and did not charge us for the upgrade (our reservation was for the pool-side rate). We were on the first floor, so the ocean view wasn't the greatest. I imagine it was lovely from the upper floors, though. The view from the Dolphin Reef restaurant is wonderful, and we enjoyed drinks overlooking the ocean on our first night. We went back to the restaurant for breakfast and had a terrible experience. They had one waitress and the place was packed. All I ordered was a bagel, and it took an hour to get it, and it was burned and inedible. The waitress offered to make me another one, but I didn't want to wait any longer. She ended up not charging us for our drinks because of the wait. We were only at the Ocean Plaza for 2 days, but we'd recommend this hotel and would go back again. It was a good value.

welcome to the roach motel!!!!

i noticed another reviewer stayed the same time i did and said the beach was not crowded and had nice pictures well i stayed late may and early june the beach was packed with drunks not to mention it rained and was cold!!!,and it was very crowded, as for the motel it was my first stay at the ocean plaza (having stayed on tybee before),and probably my last, the motel refused to honor the net price and charged me full charge for the room, a difference of about $80 as for the room it had roach bugs in the bed yes in the bed, it also had some type of mites or fleas and my foot is covered with bites, the housecleaning left the dirty towels from the previous guest ,the view is of a parking lot and then the beach so you are not ocenfront on the beach but you can see the ocean, i felt like i was in a lesiure suit larry 1970 hotel , i would not recommended this place for families

Comments