Ocean Plaza Beach Resort Tybee Island

charlenemixa's Profile Photo

Good Value & on the Beach

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 10, 2014

We liked the room size and comfort of our King ocean view room. It is a short walk across the street/parking lot to the beach. Plus a short walk to the pier and pavillion and beach shopping area. The room was clean and spacious. Enjoyed hearing the sound of the ocean. Free WiFi was important to us. Our purpose was a nice place to sleep as we were busy doing sightseeing otherwise. This fit our desires perfectly.

The Hotel has some dining options and we did go by to look at them, but chose to eat at a local place. It is basically a good beach hotel, not too fancy but large clean rooms.

Sweet little beach spot

by written on July 23, 2012

I did Spring Break on Tybee this year instead of the Florida Panhandle.  Some of my friends stayed at other Tybee hotels and they weren't nearly as satisfied as I was at the Ocean Plaza.  If you go to Tybee, the Ocean Plaza really is the only place you want to stay.  It also have the best beach of any of the Tybee hotels.

Unique Quality: Right on the beach. Great access

Great Spot

by written on June 28, 2012

These review web sites must draw a lot of negative people. I stayed at the Ocean Plaza and was very pleased. It did not resemble the negative reviews I read online at all. I think more people tend to say bad things on these sites that good things so that is why I am writing this. I want people to know that I had a very positive experience at the Ocean Plaza.

Unique Quality: Right on the beach

Directions: Beach, Right by everything

Nice Stay

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 22, 2012

Our room was on the 4th floor of the South tower and had a balcony that overlooked the city, not the beach, which was on the other side of the hotel. Although we didn't have an ocean view, we loved the balcony to relax with the warm breeze and have a few drinks and watch the passersby.

Directions: Close to everything

Avoid this hotel at all costs!

by written on October 18, 2011

A friend and I stayed at Ocean Plaza hotel on Tybee Island for a single night. In the middle of the night, police showed up claiming that they could smell weed from our room and requested searching it. It was strange since neither of us smoke cigarettes or weed. When leaving the hotel, we saw many of the hotel's other guest's room being searched and guests arrested. A day or so after checking out, we realized that the hotel had over-charged, well over $400.00 for the single night. If you value your privacy, money, or rights as an American citizen, choose a different hotel or island all together.

I could not be more pleased

by written on September 1, 2010

Our family has stayed in Pensacola, FL for a week in August for over 20 years. This year we changed our trip plans because of the oil spill. We looked a several places on the East coast and settled on Tybee Island.

We had never been to Tybee and didn’t know anyone else who had been to Tybee so we hoped for the best. I have to tell you we were kind of concerned because of some of the negative things we’d read online about Tybee and the Ocean Plaza. But we also read plenty of positive things so we decided to give it a try.

I could not be more pleased with our experience on Tybee Island and at the Ocean Plaza Beach Resort. We have already booked our rooms at the Ocean Plaza for August 2011.

Tybee is a much quieter atmosphere for families than the Florida Panhandle. It reminds me of what the Panhandle was when I was a child. And the Ocean Plaza reminds me of what the old hotels used to be like, with large rooms and kind of set back off the street and away from the noise.

Unique Quality: This hotel has the best location on the beach in Tybee.

Directions: On the beach

worst stay ever

by written on July 22, 2010

WHERE DO I START? LET'S SEE, FIRST, I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE HAD TO PAY A $200.00 DEPOSIT TO STAY PLUS I NEVER HEARD THEM ASK ANYONE ELSE FOR A DEPOSIT...? YOU HAVE TO PAY EXTRA FOR A FRIDGE, FUNNY, I THOUGHT THIS WAS 2010. NO HAIRDRYER, THAT BOTHERED ME. THE BATHROOM WAS IN THE FRONT OF THE ROOM WHICH WAS ODD AND GUESS WHAT, AFTER OUR SHOWERS, THE SMOKE DETECTOR WENT OFF, GREAT. THE BALCONY DOOR WAS A PAIN TO OPEN, THE ICE MAKER DID NOT WORK ON OUR FLOOR. AND THE BEST PART, 3 BUS LOADS OF CHEERLEADERS, YAY, NOT! I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO MY WORST ENEMY!!!

A VERY TERRIBLE BEACH VACATION

by written on August 21, 2009

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE..... READ THIS ENTIRE THING PLEASE........WHEN WE GOT TO THE FRONT ENTRANCE OF THE HOTEL; WE SMELLED A STRONG URINE SMELLED. I WAS TRYING TO GIVE IT THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT; SO WE CONTINUED UP THE ELEVATORS WITH OUR LUGGAGE TO OUR ROOM. OMG, WHEN I OPENED THE DOOR I IMMEDIATETLY SAW A HUGE DIP/DENT IN THE MATTRESS, LIKE ITS BEEN ON THIS BED SINCE THE 1980'S OR SOMETHING. I READ THE REVIEWS AND THOUGHT I DID MY HOMEWORK ON THIS HOTEL, CAUSE THE VERY MISLEADING PICS ON THEIR SITE AND WHAT YOU SEE WHEN YOU GET THERE; THESE PEOPLE SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN FOR RENOVATION OR MAJOR DEEP STERILIZATION AND CLEANING. I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT HOTEL THEY STOLE THESE PICTURES FROM ONLINE; BUT I PROMISE YOU THAT THIS HOTEL DOES NOT LOOK LIKE THAT AT ALL...... I HAVE A LITTLE DAUGHTER AND I REFUSE TO LET ME OR HER USE THAT NASTY EXCUSE FOR A BATHROOM; VERY DIRTY LOOKING, I WOULDN'T LET MY CHILD FEET TOUCH THE CARPET. THE BALCONY DOOR DOESN'T HAVE A LOCK ON IT; ANYONE CAN JUST OPEN IT AND COME IN ESPECIALLY IF YOUR ON THE FIRST FLOOR. I FELT VERY UNSAFE AND REFUSE TO LET MY LUGGAGE SAT IN THE ROOM WHILE WHERE AT THE BEACH; WHEN WE RETURNED I CHECKED OUT IMMEDIATELY. SO I BASICALLY WAS THERE FOR THE BEACH & I WAS NOT GOING TO SPEND THE NIGHT AT THAT HOTEL. I WANTED OUT BADLY AND YOU WILL TOO. BEFORE YOU PAY GO CHECK OUT THE ROOMS PLEASE I URGE YOU... ALSO MOST IMPORTANTLY THE RESTAURANTS ARE NOT FAMILY-ORIENTED; BARS ONLY ON THE ENTIRE BEACHFRONT, WE HAD TO EAT SUBWAY ON OUR VACATION, NOT ONE RESTAURANT I COULDN'T BELIEVE THAT.... I WILL NEVER RETURN GUARANTEED......

Unique Quality: CLOSE TO BEACH

Tybee Island Ocean Plaza Resort

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 1, 2009

This was a bare bones hotel. No one to help load or unload luggage. The only people working were in the check-in desk area and there were lots of them. The floor in room felt wet at all times. The entrance lightbulb in the room was missing. The sliding glass doors were difficult to open, even for the strong and able. Bugs were present. No refrigerators or microwave in rooms. Very pricey for what was available. Noisy traffic on the ocean-side of building.

Unique Quality: Close to beach. Nice small pool

weekend getaway

by written on May 15, 2008

I was not satisfied with our stay. The online site was misleading for me. There was no roomservice available when amenities included it. We were told when we arrived that they only have roomservice in the summer months. Our room was not clean. Phone was sticky, bathroom shower was very dirty. Also I did not feel safe at this motel. Would not recomend it to anyone that know.

Unique Quality: close to beach

Directions: from savannah river street in savannah take hwy 80

Adequate accommodation

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 29, 2005

Motel is large...kinda rundown now...just changing owners. If you fussy, this one is not for you.We were with an Elderhostel tour, so do not even know what regular room rates are.

Unique Quality: Close to the beach, & has rooms with a beach view available

• Free Parking
  • Business Services
  • Free High Speed Internet

Tybee Island Travel Forum

Need advice about Tybee Island, Georgia? Visit the Travel Forum for Tybee Island and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Tybee Island hotel reviews

Explore Deeper into Tybee Island
Tybee Lighthouse
Closest Beach to Atlanta
Things to Do
Union Territory in Confederate space.
Beach
Take a customized Dolphin & Eco Cruise
Sweet Lowland Tours Dolphin Eco Tour
Climb the Lighthouse
Fried Fried Fried
Stay away from ReelEmN Charters
Things to Do
Stay away from this place!
Relaxing and fun!
Miss Judy's Charters
Fishing - Tybrisa Pier
Fishing - Back River Pier
Things to Do
Best Frozen Drinks on the Island!
Touristy but Great Beach Vacation Fun
Restaurants
Central Location and Great Food!
Lovely View - Food was Mediocre
Restaurants
Classic Old Beach Bar - Super Friendly!
Dolphin tours
The Crab Shack
Restaurants
Just walking around the Island..
Atmosphere! The best out on the Dock/Patio
The Andoulie sausage/w Red beans and Rice! A++++++
Restaurants
One of THE Best Restaurants on the Island!
Another Tourist Attraction
Things to Do
Great place to have fun!
The Back Beach..
Outdoor Dining
Restaurants
These cops don't fool around!
Warnings and Dangers
Elegant & delicious cuisine on Island
Funky 3 level restaurant on the beach
Tybee Light House
Things to Do
We ate at this fabulous...