spartan's new Warner Robins page
Originally known as the hamlet of Wellston, Warner Robins was officially chartered by the state of Georgia in 1943. Its geographical assets, of which there are many, attracted the Air Force (then the Army Air Corps) to the area during World War II. At the urging of Colonel Thomas, the depot’s first commander, the growing town changed its name to Warner Robins in honor of Brigadier General Augustine Warner Robins who is generally recognized as the father of modern air force logistics.
Though the base and depot have undergone many name changes and new missions through the years, the words "Warner Robins" have always remained part of the name. After the war, many stayed in at Warner Robins forming a solid community foundation with military roots that accounts for its openness, acceptance, and tolerance which so many visitors and residents enjoy today. As a direct result of the Korean conflict, Robins Air Force Base was permanently established and is now Georgia’s largest single industry.